Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You have a time machine.  (Read 5170 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: You have a time machine.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 09:51:20 pm »

One of the main probalems I have is, as I've pointed out, you're alone, you have no identity or community, no one knows you, you may well violate some random religious ceremony, you have no money worth anything, You look very weird, you have little to no disease resistance against whatever might be there, And any food before the publishing of The Jungle is likely to kill you, or at least make you crap yourself.
We are descended from the surviving generations of those exposed to past diseases. Likely you will fare far better than the locals, especially for vaccinated things like polio.

These even count in the future too. Although you won't die from small pox, you may well get some new disease everyone ELSE is vaccinated for.
If everyone in the future is vaccinated you aren't going to catch it either.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 10:04:28 pm »

"right here" taken literally would be the worst position.
Ah, that makes this a fair question, then. How much of a Literal Genie* are we dealing with, here?

*<Insert Obligatory TVTropes Warning>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »

If anything, I'M the one who is descended from people who dealt with that stuff. To quote my mom: "Back home, you're either TB positive, or dead."
She's also TB positive, incidentally. She wasn't even born there. She was in the area for the Smallpox outbreak too.

I will agree that does confer some advantage, but you haven't ever had it. It's been a while since the worst diseases ravaged the land. The rise of cleaner food has actually lowered mankinds disease resistance substantially. It's why, as I said, you will most likely crap youself when you get there. And that's not to mention the "medicine".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »

The rise of cleaner food has actually lowered mankinds disease resistance substantially.
No it hasn't.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 10:23:53 pm »

I like that you refute my statements in lesser numbers but with greater certainty each time. A interesting correlation.

Anyway, As I forget where to find my source, I concede for now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »

I don't necessarily disagree with all your points.
No Gods, No Masters.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »

Are we talking Terminator time travel where you go to the past at any time and location, The Time Machine time travel where you stay in the same place during your travels, or Steins;Gate time travel where your consciousness is sent back to your body sometime in the past and therefore your location is dependent on the date and time of where you go back to?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »

Are we talking Terminator time travel where you go to the past at any time and location, The Time Machine time travel where you stay in the same place during your travels, or Steins;Gate time travel where your consciousness is sent back to your body sometime in the past and therefore your location is dependent on the date and time of where you go back to?
TARDIS travel. You are physically moved to the new date/location (which can be chosen by an event [such as Washington crossing the Delaware or Napoleon's speech] should you choose to do so). If all you specify is a date then we place you on the surface of the same planet as close to your original location as we can get in relative safely. So if a volcano has opened up where you were then we would put you nearby but not in danger, but if the whole planet surface had become a zombie apocalyptic plague zone then we'd drop you down as close to your original point as we could get without being in a swimming pool or something.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:28 am »

TARDIS travel. You are physically moved to the new date/location (which can be chosen by an event [such as Washington crossing the Delaware or Napoleon's speech] should you choose to do so). If all you specify is a date then we place you on the surface of the same planet as close to your original location as we can get in relative safely. So if a volcano has opened up where you were then we would put you nearby but not in danger, but if the whole planet surface had become a zombie apocalyptic plague zone then we'd drop you down as close to your original point as we could get without being in a swimming pool or something.
I can't think of any good events that would go with this that wouldn't be horribly offensive, save for the slightly offensive bit where I go back in time ten minutes before I Googled the term "jesuit bukkake" so I can not do that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 09:53:10 am »

Barring that... Siddhartha, Jesus, Muhammed. And a tape recorder/camera. Maybe a taser or some knockout gas or somethin', too.

So you're going to go back and taser the Prophets so you can capture it all on video?
The Adventures of Frumple: Time Troll  :P

I was thinking this morning about a similar concept, and thinking that without World War I, Europe remains the dominant locus of power in the world and America remains a second-rate backwater.

Without World War II, much of Africa and Asia remain colonial possessions of Europe, and civil rights are set back 50 years or more. Lynchings probably remain commonplace until at least the 1970s in the US. You also don't get sulfa drugs, jet engines, electronic computers, etc.

I think Taoists should be opposed to time travel on principle, because every misfortune may be a greater fortune in disguise, and vice versa.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 10:40:55 am »

I'd travel back to november 2011.  There I'd walk in on myself sitting down with my academic adviser just as I was finalizing what was supposed to be my final semester courses.  I'd shout at him "YOU FUCKING MORON!" and then ask him why it was going to take him to tell me that I was short 1 math credit from graduation so I probably shouldn't have just signed up for spanish 101.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:50 am »

Yesterday. Then I will find myself and get in a fight with myself. That bastard Past MSH is going down.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:22 am »

Hmm...you have a point. My new and revised answers:

#1: 1992, to smack the shit out of myself and issue cryptic warnings about the future.
#2: 2001, ditto.
#3: Six months ago, ditto.

EDIT: Oh, and take the million dollars back to 1992, put it in a trust fund for myself, to be used only to pay for tuition and room/board, until such time as I have attained a Ph.D. in any field. Then the rest will be released to me. In the meantime, I'd have the trust fund invest that shit in Apple.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:55:09 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 10:52:41 am »

Then you return to the present to find yourself a paranoid, half-insane wreck.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:54 am »

I was thinking this morning about a similar concept, and thinking that without World War I, Europe remains the dominant locus of power in the world and America remains a second-rate backwater.

Without World War II, much of Africa and Asia remain colonial possessions of Europe, and civil rights are set back 50 years or more. Lynchings probably remain commonplace until at least the 1970s in the US. You also don't get sulfa drugs, jet engines, electronic computers, etc.

I think Taoists should be opposed to time travel on principle, because every misfortune may be a greater fortune in disguise, and vice versa.

Those aren't certain. But it's unlikely that anyone could stop World War I. Maybe delay it a few years, but not much else. Prewar Europe was a diplomatic nightmare. (Or Paradise, you decide). As for the colonies, certain colonies were actually pretty nice places to live. Others weren't.

[
Spoiler: time machine plan (click to show/hide)

Then you return to the present to find yourself a paranoid, half-insane wreck.
Giving you a reason to do it all over again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4