Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why isn't the iron titan tougher?  (Read 829 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why isn't the iron titan tougher?
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:40:53 pm »

I visited my first tower today.  As I approached it, I discovered a shrine containing a desert titan made of pig iron 10 squares away from the tower.  I lured most of the necromancers and zombies to it and ran, figurig that the thing must be invincible to unarmed zombie attacks, but returned to find it with half the bones in its body fractured or broken.  How could a beast made of iron fall so quickly to zombies?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't the iron titan tougher?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:50:57 pm »

Pig iron is not very strong.  From wikipedia (not the DF wiki)

Pig iron has a very high carbon content, typically 3.5–4.5%, which makes it very brittle and not useful directly as a material except for limited applications.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »

A titan made of a solid material such as pig iron doesn't have bones. The zombies are fracturing the outer extent of its body.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:55 am »

A titan made of a solid material such as pig iron doesn't have bones. The zombies are fracturing the outer extent of its body.

This. They're also not hurting it at all, as it will have no organs, blood or ability to feel pain. The only way to kill something like that is to sever the head or lower body. Incidentally, due to the way damage to zombies/collapsing corpses works, megabeasts of any kind are usually amazingly deadly to them, as every hit has the force needed to collapse. Yesterday, I had my two titan corpses fight an Ettin and it utterly destroyed them every time.   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.