Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fun things to do online with someone.  (Read 11631 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Fun things to do online with someone.
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:23:48 pm »

The ladyfriend and I are separated for a little under a month and are looking for things to do together. Suggestions? It can be just about anything so long as we both participate.

We already talk for hours, which is great, but an activity to do while talking would be greater. We've also been designing a game together, but beyond brainstorming sessions that doesn't involve much interaction between us (after talking, we go off to program solo). We tried out guild wars 2 but didn't much like it, and occasionally hop on warcraft 3 for some nostalgia but that does grow old.

So yeah, a game or something that we can skype with would be great.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do online with someone.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »

As much as I disdain Facebook games, Words With Friends is quite excellent for this. Me and my girlfriend make an effort to put a few words down a day. Sometimes we even laugh about it :P

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »

WoW is free up to level 20 these days. If you take your time to enjoy it and explore rather than rush to level, that could probably keep the two of you occupied for a couple weeks.

Alternately, DDO, Iris Online, etc.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

Haha, she used to play wow (and I still do, incidentally). It's extraordinarily unlikely I could get her back on that game, and I'm lukewarm to it at best anyway.

If we do play some big shot game's trial mode, we're going to nitpick the hell out of it, being hobbiest game designers ourselves. In fact, that might actually be fun...
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »

Setting up a minecraft server for just the two of you could be fun. You could work on projects together or build separate bases and fight it out.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

WARNING : BIAS ALERT

Trials Evolution? :P It's a simple, fun (imo) arcadey game the two of you can try. :)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:14:30 am »

Minecraft was a bust since apparently you need to pay for it to play outside the demo server.

We settled on Dungeon Fighter Online, tonight, and it was okay. Got kinda dull after a few hours but plenty of stuff to talk about during~

More suggestions!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:19:12 am »

I take it you're looking for something Free to Play? Or are you willing to spend some cash, because I have some suggestions for both options.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

Minecraft was a bust since apparently you need to pay for it to play outside the demo server.

We settled on Dungeon Fighter Online, tonight, and it was okay. Got kinda dull after a few hours but plenty of stuff to talk about during~

More suggestions!

City of steam?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:49 am »

I take it you're looking for something Free to Play? Or are you willing to spend some cash, because I have some suggestions for both options.
Free to play, please. We're trying not to spend money frivolously (especially when just testing out new games).

And of course, non-game suggestions are welcome, assuming such things exist.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:11 am »

* Sirus delves into the depths of his gaming folder
Alright, I have a few suggestions:

• Battle for Wesnoth: A FTP turn-based tactics game, sorta like Fire Emblem but with hex tiles. Several single-player campaigns and the ability to play online.
  • Elona: A rouguelike/RPG. While technically single-player, deaths and achievements are shown to other players worldwide, so you can compare events.
  • Any number of F2P MMOs. Personally, the two I've stuck with the longest are Star Trek Online and Champions Online. I give a slight edge to STO because space combat is awesome and the character creator, even without purchasing any cash store items, is quite powerful.
  • Finally, if you're willing to finangle and have some networking knowledge, some emulators for older games can simulate local multiplayer over the Internet. Results may vary hugely, it can lead to a whole lot of headache, and of course I am not suggesting that you break copyright law in any way (whew!), so this option may not be for you.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:25 am »

Battle for Wesnoth is good fun and there is a way to get a bit of multiplayer SNES going, which I found to be a lot of fun. :D

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:35 am »

Steam's Alien Swarm game's pretty good.  Requires a minimum of 2 players to start a game, and games can have up to 4 players.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:57:29 am »

Steam's Alien Swarm game's pretty good.  Requires a minimum of 2 players to start a game, and games can have up to 4 players.
*facepalm*

I totally forgot about that. Nice bit of top-down shooting.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 01:07:49 am »

*facepalm*

I totally forgot about that. Nice bit of top-down shooting.

Yeah, it's got a HUGE range of settings and difficulties, from what would probably seem like a walk in the 'park' with a few uglies to shoot at to "well, at least we die together" - and a LOT in between, so you and she can probably find the right difficulty and teamwork required to suit.  And there's quite a few player made mods for it, some very pretty, and some quite intricate, if you want additional 'parks' to walk through.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5