Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Computers: I curse thee Volta, Watt, and Ampere.  (Read 4300 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Computers: I curse thee Volta, Watt, and Ampere.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

More evidence that my building's wiring is fucked up: Today I was awoken at 7AM by the police, in response to a call from the 'panic button' in my apartment.  Yeah.

Anyway, I'm taking the GX 650 power supply back to Fry's, because it's clear at this point that the power supply itself is not the issue.  What is, I don't know, I'm afraid to even touch the thing for fear that it may still be recoverable but any more experimenting is going to destroy it completely.

I still need to get a short detector.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:38 am »

Do you have an OS properly installed on the drive?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:05 am »

Yeah, if it's shutting down seconds after boot, that's typically a sign of either shorting or overheating. I had a system with a really shoddy heatsink that would thermal spike over 80C within 30 seconds of boot. System would shut down with a low-volume two-tone alarm.

Another system, I had the mobo touching the case too closely and it was grounding out. IIRC, that one would just die in seconds until I used brass spacers to move it off the backplane.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]