Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which would you be more likely to pick?

Former child of the world as an adventurer?
Adventurer poofing out of thin air?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Former Child Adeventurers  (Read 1335 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Former Child Adeventurers
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

Nanomage, are you sure the game doesn't track skills for historical figures?  I know there was that one dwarven queen who slaughtered thousands of elves singlehandedly, and I think that was do to a quirk of worldgen were historical combat is a series of duels so a skilled fighter can slaughter an entire army.  I'm also fairly certain that bandits jumped up in skills during the update that added cities, and Toady didn't add that intentionally, so something that Toady changed caused bandits to gain more skills during worldgen.
yeah it does, I was meaning generalized population, not historical figures

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:09 am »

Welcome!
Congrats on suggesting a "Have adventurers exist before the game starts" suggestion I don't think has been suggested before.

Since worldgen can be continued in the next version, this is finally plausible to code in now.
Can I get a quote on that. As far as I've heard, we'll just be able to have our fortress to continue to exist, but not worldgen progressing yet.
"It's time to activate the world now." Devlog, 6/6/12.
Activating the world=/= Worldgen.

It's just means that the world isn't static anymore. True, it evolves, but if you want it to run forward 20 years you're going to be waiting for a long time. Worldgen is the actual fastforwarding of time, which still doesn't happen.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 03:46:03 pm »

Ideally, I'd like both -- adventurers from an entity would have families and histories, but outsiders would not.

Also interesting would be playing survivors of defunct entities, who would also have histories.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:29 pm »

Ebbor, the activation of the world is often referred to, even by Toady, as putting worldgen processes into gameplay.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »

This looks good. and if this is possible, and you do have a heir to the throne, can you play as the king/queen/whatever? and if you can just speed up the world afterwards, it might be fun to play as say King McUrist the first then wait a hundred years and play as Heir apparent McUrist the 4th.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 [2]