Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: A Public Apology  (Read 17556 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: A Public Apology
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »

If anything, I think we need to petition Toady for clearer rules as to what don't be creepy means, and then ask him to enforce them. I think part of the problem was that Toady let us slide a bit on breaking the rules on sketchiness, so we started to act more and more like it wasn't there. (Was me PMing a highly disturbing slashfic of forumites to GlyphGryph within the letter of the law? It may well have been. Was it within the spirit? Fuck no.)

Or leave the man to his work and have some self control.

This topic is now about shipping.

International preferred.

Those ballast tanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:41:25 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:43 pm »

Petition for appointed mods, maybe? Just one or two...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »

Petition for appointed mods, maybe? Just one or two...

And then it's a popularity contest.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:09 pm »

We already have all the rules and mods we need. You guys just need to follow them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

Hey, if this is about shipping now then I have a relevant shipfic.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

The only shipping allowed in these waters are those in cargo transporters.

Or by burrito-back.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:48:10 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

Dh, thats pretty fucking extreme. The reason I stayed on the forums for so long was the fact that everyone was pretty mature and chill about that stuff. A couple of years ago the shipping thread would have garnered many laughs, not the stupid reactvist actions that you seem to want.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:45 pm »

The only shipping allowed in these waters are those in cargo transporters.

Or by burrito-back.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reminds me of this time down in Tijuana...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:12 pm »

I still dont get WTF shipping actually is.
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »

A form of fanfiction pairing up various characters romantically/erotically, often characters who would not be paired in such a fashion in-universe.

Also known as "slashfic" from the practice of referring to a given "ship" by the two characters' names seperated by a slash. Such as "Buffy/Spike".

WHY THE FUCK DO I KNOW THIS?? D:
I don't even read fanfics.  ???

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:04 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »

A form of fanfiction pairing up various characters romantically/erotically, often characters who would not be paired in such a fashion in-universe.

Also known as "slashfic" from the practice of referring to a given "ship" by the two characters' names seperated by a slash. Such as "Buffy/Spike".
Slashfic actually has pretty specific connotations nowadays, and is generally reserved for stories involving male homosexuality as a primary story point. Femslash is the female variant. You'd be looking at something like Spike/Angel(us) in that continuity, if it were a slashfic :P S'generally just shortened to slash, though. More or less an equivalent to yaoi or shonen-ai.

First bit's accurate, though! Though it's less a form of fanfiction so much as a general aspect of fanfiction. It gets involved in stuff that doesn't have much of a focus on relationships, et al. S'mostly just shorthand for a "these are major characters and who they're primarily interacting with" sort of thing.

The more you know! *rainbow*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

Dh, thats pretty fucking extreme. The reason I stayed on the forums for so long was the fact that everyone was pretty mature and chill about that stuff. A couple of years ago the shipping thread would have garnered many laughs, not the stupid reactvist actions that you seem to want.

Damn it, mcclay. Stop posting my opinions before I get the chance.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »

Slashfic actually has pretty specific connotations nowadays, and is generally reserved for stories involving male homosexuality as a primary story point. Femslash is the female variant. You'd be looking at something like Spike/Angel(us) in that continuity, if it were a slashfic :P S'generally just shortened to slash, though. More or less an equivalent to yaoi or shonen-ai.

First bit's accurate, though! Though it's less a form of fanfiction so much as a general aspect of fanfiction. It gets involved in stuff that doesn't have much of a focus on relationships, et al. S'mostly just shorthand for a "these are major characters and who they're primarily interacting with" sort of thing.

The more you know! *rainbow*
I stand corrected.

WHY THE FUCK DO I MORE ACCURATELY KNOW THIS NOW? D:
I still don't read fanfic. (except that "Day of the Barney" thing way back in the early days of the Web...that was interesting)

EDIT: I think the general problem is the degree to which it goes.

At its most basic, it appears to be "Wouldn't Person A and Person B make a cute couple?"

But let's say you're talking Star Wars. And somebody decides, "I think Leia and Lando would make a good couple."
Then somebody writes a romantic story with them.
Then somebody else writes an erotic story with them.
Next thing you know, you're reading "50 Shades of Kashhyyk" and being squicked out by graphic Wookiee orgies.  :o

I still don't read fanfic.
Yeah, you're only making a collaborative Battlestar Galactica (AU, Improv) one over in Play with your Buddies :P
That's altogether different. If we ever start focusing primarily on a character's romantic liasons with a Cylon, I'm bringing in Hand of God and somebody's getting thrown out an airlock. (despite the fact that weirdly enough, that sort of shipping would actually be in keeping with the source material).

@dhokarena: Just for the record, I didn't complain to Toady or anyone else. I didn't even have computer access the last two days. I'm actually bemused and curious to find out (and extremely difficult to offend, especially with imaginary torrid affairs).

Oh...oh god....it was me and all of Pathos' alts wasn't it?  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:38:30 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13