Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your first vampire?  (Read 4878 times)

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Your first vampire?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »

It was actually our king, who for some reason really wanted a rock from the bottom of the cavern. He was beaten by a cave ogre as I was preparing to kill him in our local well. He ended up dying from blood loss due to his finger getting bitten off after about a winter of being hit with a sock.
Unf.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

After discovering my first vampire, I had the Sheriff punch him in the mouth.  Afterwards, while he was in the hospital (Sheriff had knocked some teeth out and broke one of his fingers), I just decided to seal him in there for a year.  Closed the hospital room door and let him rot.  During that time he became the Mayor and remained as such until I grew tired of the fort.  I did find it was rather interesting that he was able to become the Mayor despite being sealed in a room for over a year with no contact whatsoever.  I had plans to tunnel him to his own Noble room so I could make him do tasks but I never got around to it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »

Mine was a ranger who killed a stonecrafter. She tried to suck on of my miners dry, whom was saved by a bedrip and was promptly (along with my second ever, also a ranger who killed my champion's daughter) to an atom smasher.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:47 pm »

I was unaware of vampires in the game. It was my first fort, and I was a total noob (to the extent of stockpiling stone).

When I saw that Urist McFarmer had been found dead, drained of blood, I panicked. Upon plenty of searching around the area, I discovered a giant mosquito. Yeah, that's right.

I thought that a big mosquito had sucked all the blood out of my dwarf. You can all start laughing now.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »

Well if it had been a hunter ina savage biome that's entirely plausible since that's how they attack...

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

My first vampire was discovered by accident, when I noticed that I had wounded sitting in the hospital but no one doing anything about it. The units screen said that my chief medical dwarf was deceased, which explained why I didn't have a "health" screen. I was pissed; the guy was a middlin'-decent doctor, but I keep my doctors with Engraving enabled to keep them busy in the off hours. This one had just made Legendary engraver and was in the process of doing up my dining hall all nice and pretty.

I check the justice screen, and (sure enough) there's the murder of my doctor-dwarf right there on the list. Turns out that there was a witness to the crime: someone named Vutok accused some other dwarf named Urdim, saying that he witnessed the murder.

I check on Urdim:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By looking at his screens I can see that his history is too long and he's got scads of relatives, none of which are at my fort. He's also been here since two migrant waves ago, and still hasn't claimed a room. I was convinced: Into a walled-off office he went. The fort has a new permanent manager.

As it turned out, it wasn't Urdim that I was looking at: I had gotten names mixed up in my head and checked on Vutok by mistake. So the vampire had accused someone else of doing the deed! I went to the justice screen and convicted Vutok of the crime, then went to check on the ACTUAL Urdim to make sure that I didn't cause any negative thoughts by waiting too long.

Urdim's "thoughts and preferences" screen comes up:

She got here the same time that Vutok did, and still hasn't claimed a room. No thoughts about drinking or eating. Forty-five blood relatives listed, none of which were present at my fort. I walled her off in another office straight away. The fort has a new permanent bookkeeper.

So my first experience wasn't one vampire, but two. Were they both going for the same kill, and one happened to see the other one? Or was this just a freak occurrence? And which one actually committed the crime?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:51:28 pm by MasterShizzle »
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:36:08 pm »

Seems a bit ironic, check legends? See who came to your fort, and see the people with different names

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 07:45:57 am »

I accidentally fed my first vampire to a were-creature. Only when it died did I notice it was over 500 years old.

Ah, the perils of science.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 08:01:28 am »

My first vampire was discovered by accident, when I noticed that I had wounded sitting in the hospital but no one doing anything about it. The units screen said that my chief medical dwarf was deceased, which explained why I didn't have a "health" screen. I was pissed; the guy was a middlin'-decent doctor, but I keep my doctors with Engraving enabled to keep them busy in the off hours. This one had just made Legendary engraver and was in the process of doing up my dining hall all nice and pretty.

I check the justice screen, and (sure enough) there's the murder of my doctor-dwarf right there on the list. Turns out that there was a witness to the crime: someone named Vutok accused some other dwarf named Urdim, saying that he witnessed the murder.

I check on Urdim:

By looking at his screens I can see that his history is too long and he's got scads of relatives, none of which are at my fort. He's also been here since two migrant waves ago, and still hasn't claimed a room. I was convinced: Into a walled-off office he went. The fort has a new permanent manager.

As it turned out, it wasn't Urdim that I was looking at: I had gotten names mixed up in my head and checked on Vutok by mistake. So the vampire had accused someone else of doing the deed! I went to the justice screen and convicted Vutok of the crime, then went to check on the ACTUAL Urdim to make sure that I didn't cause any negative thoughts by waiting too long.

Urdim's "thoughts and preferences" screen comes up:

She got here the same time that Vutok did, and still hasn't claimed a room. No thoughts about drinking or eating. Forty-five blood relatives listed, none of which were present at my fort. I walled her off in another office straight away. The fort has a new permanent bookkeeper.

So my first experience wasn't one vampire, but two. Were they both going for the same kill, and one happened to see the other one? Or was this just a freak occurrence? And which one actually committed the crime?

Now THAT, sir, is a good story .

My last vampire was found on the third murder... and instantly sent to prison for 603 days (I think it's 201 for a murder). This was a useful vampire though, so I let him go free. I did, however, add doors to every room. Unfortunately he claimed 5 more lives before that was finished. I decided to strip him of all clothes, and throw him into the danger room... He did amazingly well, but was rather upset about not having shoes. He then went straight from 4 months of danger room into a prison cell for the remaining 5 murders, and went mad 5 days before he was freed
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Tristavius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:18 pm »

On my second fortress (first didn't last long) I started having victims drained at about wave 7 or 8.  Never very often and it never did a huge amount of harm, my dwarfs tended to be very happy so even the hit on their partner/family only made them a bit sad for a while.  Luckily as well the vampire only picked off children, a few 'Haulers' with no useful skills and I believe one half decent bow maker.

I went and read up on spotting a vampire and trailed through all 140 odd dwarfs or whatever there was and didn't find anyone obvious - it seems I had a young vampire on my hands.

Eventually I caught her red handed... a young hunter sneaking into a childs room and draining him.  I accused her of all the murders, some 12 odd by now and having no hammerer she was arrested by my Captain of the Guard and locked up.  With no great method of getting rid of her currently I locked her in a room that could be reached by invaders to hopefully eventally fight and die.  My fortress was safe once more.

Except the drained bodies kept coming.

Luckily the next vampire, a young cheese maker who'd only just arrived was caught by half a dozen dwarfs 2-3 murders later.  My new hammerer arrested him, gave him a good beating then locked him up with the first one ready to fight some invaders

And the bodies kept coming.

A while later I was fighting a huge invasion.  My marksmen were safe in towers but largely out of ammo and 6 of my 10 melee squad soldiers were down as I'd sent them out to protect a dwarf caravan so in desperation I sent my Captain of the Guard in - an interesting fellow who was the only one to imigrate with melee combat skills and who promptly beat 3 mandate failures to death on being appointed.  In fact looking back now he totally mauled them.

I had him hold his ground in an inner chamber which I'd rapidly altered to become a drowning room.  The invaders stormed in, the entrances were sealed and the water started rising.  The goblins and their giant rats all drowned as Ulrist McCaptain made his defiant and brave last stand of which songs would be sung.  Only he didn't die.

Bloody Captain of the Guard was the original vampire.

Again, there was no major clue on his thoughts page, other than buried away he has a liking for 'coffins'.

Still, it was a moment that really made me appreciate just how in depth this game can be.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »

My first vampire was part of my militia, as such it only drained dwarves when it wasn't on duty. It took forever for me to figure that out, as when I saw the drained of blood bit the first thing I did was mobilize the militia.
The "Oh..." moment came when, a long time later, they stopped chasing things on the surface and went back inside when I released them to their civilian lives. Very shortly thereafter, another corpse turned up.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Fear The Amish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:48 am »

found mine early on so i drafted him into the military gave him the best equipment i could (full steel everything) and put him on constant training in a locked room under my bridge. Every time enemies would show up i would raise the drawbridge and unleash him.... he quickly became a legendary axedwarf. i then captured a were elephant and several other "interesting" creatures and kept pitting him against them in my vampire arena. He was finally killed after the 3rd forgotten beast got him with a FB syndrome.

Hideyoshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »

My first vampire ended up in a rather hilarious situation. I found out my bone doctor was a vampire after about three or four kills. I proceeded to seal him in a side passage of a cave. He stayed there for a few years until I started to have a tantrum spiral. I took all the unhappy dwarves and sealed them in a dining room without any food or drink. Oh, and a vampire too. Suprisingly the vampire was never identiffied by the other dwarves. After everyone in there had died and the miasma clouds had cleared I had my remaining dwarves unseal the room and go on coffin duty. To my suprise the vampire hadn't been killed by a bezerk dwarf (one of my legendary fighters had gone bezerk in there) and he was completely unharmed physically. However his time in there sent his mind over the edge and went stark raving mad. So for the rest of my fortresses existance I had an insane naked vampire dwarf running around my fortress.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »

I caught my first vampire right as he immigrated due to some thorough background checking, and walled him in an empty tomb. No muss, no fuss. My second vampire wasn't quite as obvious, (didn't have the long string of leveled skill common in vampires,) so he managed to kill someone before I found him. He's also in a walled off room.

However, since neither of them have a ton of attachments in the fort, I'm strongly considering making them into my new locked-in lever pullers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 11:56:00 pm »

I was first accosted by a vampire in a fortress that actually ended in much ‼FUN‼. I found it tricky at first to figure out who the culprit was, but after I found out he was my mayor (and Sheriff/CotG. Sorry, lapse in memory) I just locked him in his room. He was one of the last survivors, but I eventually abandoned just because it got so damn boring to watch two dwarves hauling around corpses and sweeping up ashes, while a vampire admired his masonry workshop in seclusion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:03:55 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3