Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concurrent Fort & Adventurer?  (Read 1438 times)

Concurrent Fort & Adventurer?
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »

Is this something that is planned or has been discussed?

I think it would be awesome to be able to switch between fort and adventurer on the fly, in the same game, without abandoning or retiring. A bit like in Dungeon Keeper how you could control any number of creatures in your dungeon, but more dwarfy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Concurrent Fort & Adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:06:29 pm »

I believe it's planned eventually, but it's more of a "later in the game development" then a "it's on the dev list future". Right now if you want that (or anytime in the next 40 years or so probably) your best bet is just to go with what DFHack has to offer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:07:43 pm »

I believe it's planned eventually, but it's more of a "later in the game development" then a "it's on the dev list future". Right now if you want that (or anytime in the next 40 years or so probably) your best bet is just to go with what DFHack has to offer.

What exactly can DFHack do in this particular area; besides render my fort a lair so nothing is strewn all over the place when it is abandoned?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »

Just wait until next update. You can retire/unretire forts, so you can switch and leave your adventurer in your fort before unretiring.

:O

That is close to what I was thinking of. Works out just the same; you can visit an ACTIVE fort as an Adventurer :D

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

You can use the 'mode set' command to pick a dwarf from your fortress and adventure with them. I had quite a good run a while back. Mode set to arena, assume control of a dwarf and mode set to adventure mode. I found that I needed to have my adventurer sleep once before leaving the fortress site to prevent crashes when trying to off-load the site after leaving it.