Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ingress for Android  (Read 5871 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Ingress for Android
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »

A coworker's invite expired (?????) before he could send it to me.  At this point I will happily exchange a small gifted Steam game for a shiny invite code...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:32 pm »

This thread looks only mostly dead...

I just started playing last month because I finally got a smartphone. It's actually kind of fun, although a bit grindy. The only real problem I have is I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to drive to find any portals at all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 11:36:23 am »

i tried this briefly. The game mechanics are crap, the fact that its an ARG doesn't make up for it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:02 am »

It is simple, basically a kind of king-of-the-hill.

There are some good balance mechanics, like it is better for everyone if portals change hands, but there are still different advantages if you only have friendly or enemy portals to hack.

The defensive and utilitarian upgrades give it some more legs, but really it is best if you can combine it with exercise like a walk or run.  or taking your dog out, or riding the bus.

I have not gotten into the social aspect, but I guess that meetups and events are what keep the long tetm players coming back.

The new "mission" feature is cool, but maybe only large cities or places with high level players have these?

I don't think invites are needed any more, but PM me if you want one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 08:11:47 am »

Anyone coming to Abaddon in Charlotte, NC?  Or doing Abaddon in general?

I mostly stopped playing when I hit level 8, but a friend of mine is still absolutely crazy about it.  I like walking around hacking portals, and the linking mechanics are pretty neat, but I don't really care for attacking.

And the mechanics go to complete hell when you have two groups "fighting" over a portal.  As best as I can tell, it's very heavily dependent on refreshing the screen (through undocumented techniques) to "see" that a resonator is missing, because otherwise you can't place it.  Or when attacking, refreshing to see that the portal is ever-so-momentarily grey.  It's incredibly dependent on connection speed, lag, and the gimmicky UI.  If it's supposed to give victory to the side with the most items, it *sorta* works for that, but it's also possible to steal a win based on the netcode.

I'm thinking that Pokemon Go will have much better PVP...  Probably better coop as well.

Any event advice would be appreciated though, my last event was Helios I think.  I don't have hundreds of max-level items, but from what I remember I can still help (and get crazy XP AP and badge progress).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »

Got this, picked resistance, my hometown portals are all enlightened :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 05:49:17 pm »

That's actually good for you! They give almost as much stuff plus XP for hacking.

Ur team sux tho lol
Nah seriously the players on both sides have almost invariably been nice at least in person  (:
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »

Eh I have no idea how this game is placed but it looks like portals are placed everywhere.

Do you need mobile data to play this? Bc that might mean I won't be able to play at all, unless I can connect to one of the open networks isps here include with all closed networks on their routers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »

I was in the game for a while... uninstalled it because it got a bit dull, and I was concerned about privacy.

I played it mostly as an excuse to "game up" taking a walk anyway.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »

Same, I got tired of fighting over fields when I hit the level cap. They introduced missions and raised the cap, but I still pretty much just hack portals as I walk and place my 8's. Barely ever attack.

But events are different... I get into them. This was only my fourth but still.

Yeah it requires constant data, but the amount is fairly low. My completely, scarily obsessed friend who plays every day and plays nothing else, uses 1GB a month or so.

Honestly though I'm counting the days till pokemon go, it's going to be so much better!
She/they

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 06:45:13 pm »

You can also use wifi, but that only really works if you're on a University campus, or somewhere with a wifi cloud.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2015, 09:02:34 am »

Everyone gets a badge at the end of this month based on their current level.  Double-AP until then (started last week sometime).

Yesterday:
Normally his obsession with the game is tiring, but this was actually fun.  Took all day basically.  We didn't do the links north of Bluefield or west of Tazewell, but those thick trefoils were all us.

Since we spent so much time on it, and he's constantly at item cap, I accepted a bunch of power cubes from him.  I need them to grind my recharger badge.  He's level 15 with every badge he needs, I'm actually only 8 XD  With gold recharger I'll reach 9, which is the threshold for a better participation badge.
She/they
Pages: 1 2 [3]