Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Web Comics: what are you reading?  (Read 9837 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Web Comics: what are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 02:16:44 am »

I read a lot, so for now, I'm only going to list my favorites here.
Girl Genius
Schlock Mercenary
Unsounded
Paranatural
Spacetrawler
Skin Horse
Lackadaisy
The Meek
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:55 am »

I only read ones I can get through my RSS feed.
Non Sequitur - Syndicated gag a day strip from The Washington Post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Penny Arcade - Long running video game webcomic/blog.

Least I Could Do - (NSFW) Four panel gag a day strip featuring mainly sexual themes, with weekend SFW content.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Quite random comic featuring everyone's favorite ninja M.D.

Calvin and Hobbes - The iconic adventures of a boy and his tiger.

Goblins - A D&D webcomic from the perspective of the goblins.

Looking For Group - A fantasy webcomic with strong art and a large archive. Same artists as Least I Could Do.

Order of the Stick - A minimalist D&D comic.

The Abominable Charles Christopher - A beautiful weekly comic featuring the lives of woodland creatures.

XKCD - Nerd culture at its finest.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 08:41:34 am »

No Keychain of Creation?
True, it's been dead for so long...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:01 am »

xkcd
Cyanide and happiness
Abstruse Goose (similar to xkcd)
OOTS (when it comes back)
SMBC

And the less popular ones:

Bug (It's hilarious sometimes)
Dead Philosophers in Heaven (Sadly updates only seldom and has a small archive; knowing a bit of philosophy makes it much more enjoyable.

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:48 am »

Unsounded
Much more conventional of a comic, but it goes along the same concept. Unique magical world with a lot of worldbuilding and lots of info on how stuff works like magic. The artist has a knack for keeping panels pretty dynamic.

Just read through all the archives of this, I guess I've got another comic to follow now. The quality is really astounding, especially on a thrice-weekly update schedule.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 04:08:16 am »

The Abominable Charles Christopher - A beautiful weekly comic featuring the lives of woodland creatures.
Holy crap that looked amazing. The actual comic, or at least the parts I'm reading now, are more cute than amazing, but still pretty interesting. Definitely a nice find.

No Keychain of Creation?
True, it's been dead for so long...
Ah yeah. That was awesome while it lasted. Really nice characters, in particular.

Speaking of awesome but now dead, VG Cats. I guess technically it updates every month or so, but even then it tends to be pretty blegh when it does.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 04:10:00 am »

My interest in Keychain of creation sort of waned with my waning interest in Exalted.

But I won't lie and say I didn't use some of their ideas in my games. The "Chair of Santuary" in my dungeons and dragons games was definately inspired by them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:23:22 am by Neonivek »

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

I just read through the archives of Daisy Owl, and I can just recommend it, even though it is long dead: It gets amazingly funny very fast and keeps that way until the very end.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »

Wow, how could I forget this. Technically started as an underground print comic in 1989, went online in 1996. Hilarious and highly subversive:

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

Spoiler: sample comics (click to show/hide)

First online strip: http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/1996-06-10/index.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:08:52 pm by Reelya »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 06:30:54 pm »

I just read every episode of Oglaf.
Do not be surprised if I have a new avatar/desktop background now.

EDIT: Nevermind, now I seem to be stuck on No Avatar.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:45:06 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »

SOLI'S BIG-HONKING LIST O' WEBCOMICS:
Since a lot of my favorites have already been mentioned here, I figured I'd share a few of the more obscure comics I follow and/or recommend.

Nature of Nature's Art

- Tl;DR Version: It's a sci-fi webcomic about space and time, the nature of the self, a surly dog engineer in a bipedal mechframe, and a shipboard computer that lets you punch things with your mind.

- Longwinded Version: A very unique philosophical sci-fi/light fantasy webcomic series, with one of the strangest yet still-plausible, distant futures I've ever seen. The latest story is set in the far future, where everyone lives their lives half-immersed in computerized Augmented Reality, and technological advances have allowed communication and cultural transmission to social mammals like apes and dogs. The story starts out with a team building a "vintage" spacecraft using an authentic shuttle frame from the 21st century, which ends up being an Odyssey across the Solar System. The art is done in a digital-sketchy Oekaki style too, and uses scrolling and roll-overs to great effect. The story can be tough to follow at times (lots of theoretical physics without much exposition or explaination) but it makes sense enough so long as you take your time, and read the author explanations in the comments.

The earlier stories in the series are related, but happen a few hundred years earlier, when animals were first granted self-aware "Halo Brains" by humanity, and attempted to form their own society.

Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life
- A story about two best friends, who happen to be obsolete manufacturing robots, as they bum and slum their way around the solar system after humanity is gone. Poignant, funny, and definitely unique.

Johnny Wanderer
- A Slice-Of-Life style comic, following the (possibly) real-life adventures of some dorky folks, their friends, their cats, etc. Also sometimes contains unrelated Mini-Stories that are always neat.

Vibe
- An action adventure comic about a young witchdoctor, who uses Voodoo to help people deal with their personal problems... he's basically a magic action-therapist. The comic so far is heavy on the action-schlock, but the style and theme is fun. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Family Man
A historical webcomic about a young atheist professor of theology in Post-Reformation Germany. Also there's a cynical, gun-toting librarian who is either a pagan or a werewolf (possibly both?). It's a relatively young webcomic, but it's growing on me.

Dresden Codak
- A mix of abject silliness, poignant social commentary, and mad science. Beautiful artwork too.

Erfworld
- The story of a neckbeard, who is whisked away to a universe that operates on tabletop war-game rules. Said neckbeard proceeds to find and exploit the rules of the universe, as he tries to make it as Chief Warlord of an evil world-conquering empire.

Cucumber Quest
- Basically, it's Adventure Time the webcomic. Except it's different. A fun piece of satirical fantasy with a beautiful art style, which gets my heartiest recommendations.

Three Panel Soul
- Generally silly, cynical comic revolving around nerd culture, slice-of-life style stories, etc. By far one of the wittier videogame comics around.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:32:32 pm by Solifuge »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2012, 09:02:38 pm »

The example panels are useful to lazy people like me. I might have to pick up Vibe and Erfworld.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »

Oh man, Vibe's pretty excellent. I'd definitely second that.
Same goes for Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life and Family Man, though I haven't read too much of Family Man.
Nine Planets kinda reminds me of the later HHGttG books, similar tone, humor and whatnot.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:25:41 pm by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6