Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your favorite version of the HFS?

Demonic fortress (DF2012 and 31.25)
- 9 (36%)
Adamantine tube (DF2012 and 31.25)
- 6 (24%)
Eerie glowing pit (40d and 23a)
- 6 (24%)
Dug too deep (23a)
- 4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Favorite version of the circus? (!!SPOILERS!!)  (Read 1960 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Favorite version of the circus? (!!SPOILERS!!)
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:23:40 pm »

Simply put, what is your favorite version of DF's most !!FUN!! feature, the circus and it's attendant clowns?

Personally, I'm rather fond of the "Dug too deep" version. I love how creepy and mysterious it is. Playing the old version spoiler-free (I started with DF2012 and then tried 23a), I didn't realize what had happened until a good 15 times reading the message, I was so surprised. In the interest of realism, I know that it doesn't work well for a simulationist game like DF, but this left me with such a creepy vibe that I still get chills thinking about it.

The fourth wall is almost completely opaque in DF, and then suddenly you're directly addressed by the game itself, asking you to find out the truth of your fort's fate. It's creepy as all getout and I love it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite version of the circus? (!!SPOILERS!!)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00:20 am »

wait could you run by me what exactly happens in that older version when you dig too deep?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:36 am »

Automatic game over with a pop up message telling you that you dug too deep and too greedily
It's FEF, not FEOF

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:22 am »

now that's just bad design.
good thing it was fixed!

But then again, if you could hit a button to "return" to your fort and you find large diagonally dug "hallways" crossing the rooms, and dwarf corpses spread in several pieces with chunks and flame and pools of magma over everything you strived to make, well that'd be jarring.

but yeah what we have now is better. I personally voted for the adamantium tube because I liked the non-generated demons better. Also the adamantium tube was just funner.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:16:07 am »

Hi!

good thing it was fixed!

But then again, if you could hit a button to "return" to your fort and you find large diagonally dug "hallways" crossing the rooms, and dwarf corpses spread in several pieces with chunks and flame and pools of magma over everything you strived to make, well that'd be jarring.

but yeah what we have now is better. I personally voted for the adamantium tube because I liked the non-generated demons better. Also the adamantium tube was just funner.

Well, there is Legends Mode and there is also Adventurer Mode, although I am not sure how much they allowed you to find out. I have to admit that I never reached that point - I think I reach the magma once, but usually did not go further than the chasm (and I found that one more than enough of fun for my personal taste).

Since I have never visited the circus myself, I have no preference, although I find each version rather appealing - the sudden death message as well as the eerie place, and now the enlarged and improved underworld with its great variety - everything has its own unique charm and appeal...

Yours,
Deathworks

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:23 am »

good thing it was fixed!

Keeping with DF's original design concept of being a high scoring mechanism for adventure mode, it sort of made sense.  The earlier DF versions were much less forgiving and more bent on making the fortress impossible to maintain as time went on, whereas now it's not hard to make one invulnerable.  DF's design goals have shifted a lot since then.

Anyway, on topic, I've only ever encountered a few hollow adamantine veins.  Frustratingly, several of those times hte demons had a derp moment and didn't even come up the hole.  :(

Still searching for demonic fortresses, they sound much more interesting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:15 am »

Damn, I thought 'Dug Too Deep' referred to the frog-fire-tentacle Triumvirate of Demons.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:05 am »

I like the latest version because it is harder -- more clowns. 102 clowns emerged last time I dug too deep.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

I like the "dug too deep" version's mystery, but I extremely dislike the fact that once you had dug any adamantine your fortress was a guaranteed failure eventually. It just seems a little too much of a "rocks fall everyone dies" type of thing to me without any story behind it. Now if it just spawned an unlimited army of demon's I would be fine with that, but I like the idea that your fortress can at least put up a bit of a fight before it falls completely.

Therefore my top version is probably the fortress version from 2012. It's got a nice sort of story/mystery behind it, presents a bit of a "step up" challenge with the undead before you unleash hell, and fits the best into the DF world in my opinion.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »

Damn I just realized DF's creepy potential. Just imagine that upon breaching the spire, a black fog crept through your Fort slowly engulfing everything - until there's nothing but darkness. A few Dwarves stand bewildered on the surface, never looking back...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »

...torturing them until they die, their eyes having turned all white. But it doesn't stop at death; the forces of evil relentlessly keep destroying the deadd body until there's nothing left but fine grey dust...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:41:54 pm »

It's like The Mist, but coming up from the ground instead of out of the sky. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »

It's like The Mist, but coming up from the ground instead of out of the sky. :P
SOMETHING IN THE CREEPING FOG TOOK URIST LEE
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »

I preferred the version that was immediately dangerous upon breaking into it.