Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DIRT NEEDED  (Read 525 times)

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DIRT NEEDED
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:53 am »

Couldn't find this one.

I really, really want to fill all these damn holes I've dug. They are ugly.

New option in 'd' menu: Dirt. Creates a mound, or fills a hole. HUZZAH!

Now, is the game able to discern the types of dirt on the map, and if so, is the game able to give you open ended choices? Example: following the Dirt command and pressing "enter," then brings up a menu with the types of dirt, or clay, you have in your map and you choose one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:32:03 pm by Alpha Dwarf »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIRT NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:28 pm »

Being able to transport soil from place to place (other than by caving it in) and modify the terrain that way is actually kind of a cool idea.  Might have come up before, I'm not sure, hadn't thought about it much before.

For filling potholes right now you could pump stack magma and water into place and cast obsidian, but that's not going to give a very uniform look with the natural terrain.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »

I like it. Maybe make a Zone on the map where dwarves dump off some of the dirt they've been digging (the rest of it presumably being handwaves as being hardpacked to create the tunnel), and you can have them fill a tile back in if you have enough of it?...

Or, taking it a step further, maybe being able to coat a floor tile with a thick layer of dirt that would have to either be periodically replaced or fertilized, but would allow you to farm on that tile?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

Being able to transport soil from place to place (other than by caving it in) and modify the terrain that way is actually kind of a cool idea.  Might have come up before, I'm not sure, hadn't thought about it much before.

For filling potholes right now you could pump stack magma and water into place and cast obsidian, but that's not going to give a very uniform look with the natural terrain.

You can also build walls in the hole, or floors on top.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:04 pm »

You can also build walls in the hole, or floors on top.

But I neeeeed dirt, that grainy, loamy, clayy, soily goodness. I must have dirt. Need dirt. Real dirt...

Yeah...

The, uh, dirt should allow for vegetation to grow of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:17:51 pm »

Until such time as better mechanics for gathering clay and sand are implemented, the soil could probably be gathered in much the same way, from any soil you have available. The question is, of course, where this order would be given.

A new menu where you can also order gathering of clay or sand? I hope so! Yet another reason to support this suggestion.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.