Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I loose interest in everything too fast, and other stuff >u<  (Read 896 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
I loose interest in everything too fast, and other stuff >u<
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:45 pm »

So, I've realized how fast I loose interest in things, and it really bothers me. I'll download a game, play it for 5 mins and then call it shit and loose interest. I dont know why, but it seems that this happens to me every time I get something. For example I recently got Empire Earth 2, and thought it was going to be amazing after going through the tutorial to figure out how to use the new stuff. Nope, hated it. The game turned out to be terrible to me. For some reason I also always feel like every game I play has potential, but when I play them they're shit. I'd love to give things a longer chance but I cant. One does not simply force themselves to play a game they don't enjoy. It makes you kill yourself. Slowly.

I also feel that in games Im way too passive. I'm not expansive in rts games, not competitive in everything else(Though FPS games piss me off) and not very aggressive. PvP is one of the things I dislike most in things. This is a problem because mmos are my preferred genre of games, and those all have special focuses on their shitty pvp.

Could I get some advice on how to break these 2 habits/personality traits/w.e you want to call them? I would love to be able to actually enjoy things, but these traits say no.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I loose interest in everything too fast, and other stuff >u<
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:16 pm »

Hacksaw a toe off every time you give up on a game.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:11:41 pm »

Hacksaw a toe off every time you give up on a game.
Ill loose all of my toes in 2 hours.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:12:51 pm »

I suppose you could always expose yourself to dangerous hallucinogens to make the games more interesting.

Or maybe you just don't like video games and think you do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:27:41 am »

Or at least you just don't like the particular games you're playing.

I used to play a hell of a lot of games as a kid, but that's died down a lot since I've grown up. I don't think I've "outgrown" video games, but just mostly gotten over the initial novelty and started getting bored of the major and common patterns.

So yeah, try branching out. New genres of games, and maybe hobbies besides games. Try cartoons, anime, painting, drawing, what-have-you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »

Don't force yourself to play games if you don't like them. I did the same with EE2 too, features were amazing, game not so much. Most games are shit. I mean, if you're here, chances are that you can get an attention span with a good enough game.

Just get a MMO where pvp is not necessary or is sandboxed. Chances are that you're just a social gamer: You like the conversations, and don't really have an urge to outdo someone.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »

Sometimes the key to enjoying things longer is to savour them.

For example one quick way to make a shooter boring is to cheat and get all the weapons.

Next time you play a RTS try to take things slow. Don't open up the whole game immediately.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:19:11 am »

1. Avoid spoilers. They're called that for a reason. If you want to play a game and have fun, don't ruin the experience for yourself by reading the wiki first.

2. Enjoy the game at your own pace. Especially in MMOs there's a pressure to be at the bleeding edge of current min-max builds, gear sets and meta-strategies. Unless you're a power gamer willing to pour hundreds of hours into the game for the best loot and/or exp, just sit back, relax and enjoy yourself instead.

3. Explore the games. Look for easter eggs. See point 1.

4. Try older games from a bygone era. There are a few channels, some legal, some less so, that allow you to play games from the past few decades. Why not find out every decade's top ten game list and try each one?

5. MMOs are only going to satisfy you if you enjoy participating in a community. Single player games offer far better graphics, controls, stories and cutscenes over MMOs, but lack the human interaction that make MMOs so addictive. Voice chat software either built into the game or as a separate program will greatly enhance your MMO experience. Recognizing your friends by voice alone really adds to the enjoyment, and lets you chat during boring grinds inherent in any MMO.

6. Cheat codes and mods are only for when you don't care about the game experience any more. Sure, it's fun to mod Skyrim with busty naked women, but it also spoils the experience for you. I only mod a game I've completed vanilla, so if I see something I want I'll just have to wait and play with it on my second time through.

7. Go look at game trailers outside your regular genres. See if something appeals to you. Doesn't need to be triple A titles, but they usually have the best to offer for eyecandy.

8. Don't spend all your free time playing video games. You're likely to get bored of the same old thing over and over. Split your recreation time into different activities. Game for an hour or two, then read a book or watch a movie. Even a sport or exercise a day or two per week instead.

9. Play with friends. I hate racing games but will happily play them if I'm sitting on my friend's couch drinking beer with him. It's about the social experience, not the game itself.

10. Losing is fun! Since you're on the Bay12 forums I assume you have played Dwarf Fortress and understand this mindset. Games don't need to be beaten, and some have no possible victory condition anyhow. The premise of a game is simple: you exchange your time for fun. No real value is gained when you play a game. Your imaginary items and money are actually illusions. Just play for fun, not to win. Of course, winning is fun too, but don't be upset if you don't. Simply enjoy yourself.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:15:13 am »

You might want to try some of the games from the era of quarter-devouring arcade games. Super Double Dragon, TMNT III: The Manhattan Project, and similar games are ridiculously hard, and they don't allow you so save. So you play them for a while, then you die. Take a break for a bit. Try again later. Low time commitment for a run, or if you're feeling up to it, you can keep trying.

Self-imposed challenges. Pokemon Ruby is the hardest game I ever played, once I limited myself to two items per battle, used no Pokemon centers, Pokemon that fainted were released, and the number of Pokemon available was limited to one per route. (Amongst other minor changes.) They can make a bad game into a good game, and they can make a great game into the most fun you've ever had with a video game.

And yeah, play games with other people. I enjoy fighting games like Soul Calibur II, but I'd have stopped playing it after a week if I didn't have half a dozen friends who also play it with me weekly. That's competition for me, but cooperative games are good too.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG