Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talkedwind - 34.11 vanilla blitz game  (Read 522 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Talkedwind - 34.11 vanilla blitz game
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

Talkedwind is a 34.11 vanilla fort.  on a 2x2 embark with maximum minerals, flat surface land, a river, and magma at -140

The fort got up to 200+ dwarves and was destroyed by the predations of a vampire, as the prior overseer was not experienced in handling vampires.  The fort was running at 100 FPS for me with over 200 dwarves and I shudder to think how many dogs and cats, so pretty much anyone should get respectable FPS.

The residents of the fort have fled, but the land was too rich and too much work was done there for this to be allowed to remain the case.  I have recruited six other stout dwarves and will be reclaiming the riches of Talkedwind.

Overseer rules.

1) You have 48 hours of real world playtime for each turn.
2) Please do not use mods which impact the raws or modify the game itself.  If it gets really ugly and you have to use a cleanup program to dispose of bloodstains, that's fine.
3) At the end of your turn, post the link for the save here.  24 hours after that, if there has been no response, the next player's turn automatically starts to run, and 48 hours after that, the next in line gets their turn.  We should not have anyone's turn last more than 72 hours total.

I'll be taking the first turn, and will have a save out here for the next player in 48 hours or less.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Talkedwind - 34.11 vanilla blitz game
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »

Well, word has reached the mountainhome on the plight of the recovery effort.  A new group of individuals has been sent with explicit instructions to not accept any immigrants for at least three years.  This will hopefully give time for the prior residents of the fortress to die off somewhere else.  The insanity of allowing the prior residents to return is unacceptable.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:13:37 pm »

On the second attempt, the soldiers ran into a Forgotten beast.  In the entryway.  It was killed, but has deadly blood.  Typical.  Then a violent ghost attacked the one stonecrafter in the group as they were headed to the craftdwarf shop to engrave a stone.

As of the last letter, every one of the team that remains has done what they can to prepare to carve a memorial for the violent ghost.  Hopefully at least one will make it there alive and complete a stone.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »

This does not go well.  One of the last things done before the end of the prior fort was the destruction of the main entry bridge by a berserker.  I've gotten the bridge rebuilt, but even though every single tile of the entire map has been reclaimed, and every single dwarf has three gobs, mason, stonecrafter, and mechanic, none of them are botherint to make coffins, engrave slabs, or connect mechanisms from the bridge to the lever it should be connected to.

Just got another wave of 24 dwarves, most of them at 0 happiness.

Lovely.  Next time I plan on a reclaim, I'll be making sure every dwarf in the fortress is dead first.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:17:40 am »

This blitz game has been taken off the air.  I've never tried to recover a 200 dwarf fort before.  The fact that all the most horribly broken dwarves seem to somehow manage to leave the fort, then survive a trip back, only to go mad and die back in the fort is absurd.  In fact about half of all dwarves returning were already mad.

Time to head to the suggestion page and ask that perhaps mad dwarves lost in the wilderness for nine months should either recover, or die, not simply return to a reclaim in just as bad a condition as they arrived in.  This went beyong pathetic to sadthetic.

The only dwarf I had who seemed immine to everything going on around him was a dwarf who arrived at the fort, immediately went into a Fell mood, and then created a dwarven bone pick from one of the children.  I made him a miner and he stayed away from everyone else.

Ah well.  We shall see how the next fort goes.