Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: FarCry 3  (Read 9384 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FarCry 3
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

A game doesn't have to be revolutionary in all elements to be a good game. I'm not sure why you are using that metric alone when assessing the quality. Perhaps that's why you feel let down by the game and the "nearly universal" praise.

I would suggest taking a week or two away from it and approaching it with fresh eyes and feelings at a later date. The game is quite good and imho on a par with AC3 and superior to Red Dead, Saboteur and Just Cause 1(all of which were good games too).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »

To be honest, I thought Far Cry 2 was a load of ass, moreso than most people. It seems like I can't get to any mission without running out of ammo fighting wads of bad guys. Just the shear amount of bad guys everywhere makes getting to any objective -and then back- a chore. It wouldn't be so bad if you could have multiple missions at once, if there were more bus stops or fast travel options, if camps stayed dead for more than five minutes, or you could drive past any camp without them destroying your car/boat, or you could befriend a faction. In fact I really liked how in Mercenaries, you could make friends or foes of different factions, and they'd fight eachother, and they may or may not attack you on the street depending on your standing with them. Depending on who you were enemies with, getting around in certain places could be a real issue, but you could befriend factions if and when you needed to.

That was the charm of Far Cry 2 for me. You mostly tried to get from point A to point B with a lot of enemy camps between.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

Well, this is interesting. I was really, really excited about getting this game, but after playing it a few hours, I'm feeling very much let down.

Farcry 3 has almost been universally praised, but I don't really understand why. The only thing I can think of is that the reviewers haven't played Saboteur , Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, or Red Dead Redemption because they all have nearly identical gameplay. Am I the only person that feels this way? It's an open world shooter, with pseudo-RPG elements. Just like dozens of other games.

There's just nothing that feels genuine. The jungle environment is nothing new at this point, but the scenery and voice acting are basically identical to Dead Island. There's been a dozen dozen occasons where I've been driving around and said "Wait, is this Dead Island? No, the leaves are very, very glossy. It must be FarCry"

The only extremely novel way this game treats things is the somewhat take on health and healing.

The stealth system is very, very good compared to similar games. You can actually remain hidden in bushes/leaves without any problem - it's no MGS3 but it's very predictable which is a giant boon to anyone choosing to use stealth.

Overall, if I were someone who doesn't have it, I would not buy it a full price.It's still a very fun but not very unique game.

I 100% completely disagree with you critique of the voice acting. Dead islands voice acting was sub par compared to most games to me. I just didn't like it. This game on the other hands has AMAZING voice acting. I feel the emotion through their voices. I feel that vas is crazy and the paranoid soldiers when im hunting them with the bow.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2012, 03:41:18 pm »

I didn't like the voice acting of main character myself. It feels... unnatural somehow. Vas was cool though. Hehe... "Vas was."

You know why I like Far Cry? Stabbing. That's probably the only reason. Lots of stabbing. Stabbing from the water and stabbing by jumping from rooftops. Stabbity, stabbity and stabbity.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

I didn't like the voice acting of main character myself. It feels... unnatural somehow. Vas was cool though. Hehe... "Vas was."

You know why I like Far Cry? Stabbing. That's probably the only reason. Lots of stabbing. Stabbing from the water and stabbing by jumping from rooftops. Stabbity, stabbity and stabbity.
Dont forget the bow

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »

A game doesn't have to be revolutionary in all elements to be a good game. I'm not sure why you are using that metric alone when assessing the quality. Perhaps that's why you feel let down by the game and the "nearly universal" praise.

Hemmingjay, I understand what you are trying to tell me, but bear with me a second.

Farcry 3 is an entertaining game. It is easily in the top 5 of the year. There are a lot of great points to it, but nothing outstanding. I play a tremendous number of games - from roguelikes to AAA console games. I have high expectations for AAA games - if there's 50+ million dollar budget, I think they should use it to incredible advantage rather than marketing and more polygons.

My expectation - which I don't believe everyone will agree with - is that the AAA titles should be LEADING the game industry, and not just churning out entertaining games. That means being progressive - not making rehashes of stories told a thousand times, not relying on the same mechanics as every other game out there, etc. Back when I first started gaming, ratings of over 9/10 were reserved for truly stupendous games, ones that really blew everything else out of the water.  One of the most highly rated games of all time is Half Life 2, which at the time, was so far advanced over everything else it was mind blowing.  Games like that are the ones that really deserve the high ratings, not Call of Battlefield Black Ops 24 with minor tweaks over the version made 3 months ago.

Farcry 3 does a tremendous amount of things well, but nothing is outstanding or genre changing, and to me that's disappointing. There are plenty of games out there which are as entertaining as Farcry 3 with less than a tenth of the budget. That's why I come to the conclusion - it's not worth paying the AAA price for.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »

Mullet,
Fair enough and thank you for laying it out. Personally, I think it excels because it combines the recent gameplay innovations seamlessly into a 20 hour piece of entertainment. I do agree that there is very little groundbreaking gameplay, but I think it was a masterful blending of assorted elements.

To each, their own. Good luck with your next game!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2012, 05:34:00 pm »

>:(
That's not how an internet argument works you guys, gawsh!
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »

I mean really it need more rage  :P
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2012, 06:20:20 pm »

My expectation - which I don't believe everyone will agree with - is that the AAA titles should be LEADING the game industry, and not just churning out entertaining games. That means being progressive - not making rehashes of stories told a thousand times, not relying on the same mechanics as every other game out there, etc. Back when I first started gaming, ratings of over 9/10 were reserved for truly stupendous games, ones that really blew everything else out of the water.  One of the most highly rated games of all time is Half Life 2, which at the time, was so far advanced over everything else it was mind blowing.  Games like that are the ones that really deserve the high ratings, not Call of Battlefield Black Ops 24 with minor tweaks over the version made 3 months ago.
This is what one should be expecting but there's no point in doing so. AAA titles generally only mean expensive engine(if they buy one), high investments(money/manhours) in graphics and voice acting.
The complex, interesting or innovative stuff comes from the indie section.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2012, 07:08:45 pm »

-snip-

That's a nice idealistic opinion (which I agree with) but you better get used to the reality. Flashy graphics and explosions beats gameplay and story every day. Gaming will get only worse from now on.

Look at the difference from CoD 2 to the last CoD game. See the difference? Yeah, there isn't a fucking difference except for graphics. But still, they make the big bucks. I lost my faith in game companies and gaming community (no offense fellas, you know the kind of gamers I'm talking about) long ago. Why should they stop what they are doing if people are buying their products anyway?

Maybe I'm a little cynical but that's how see it. Even stealth kills in Far Cry 3 is big enough for me.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »

I need to add one thing I absolutely love about Far Cry 3. The fire/incendiary weapons. Man, this is the first game where flamethrowers are as terrifying as they really should be. When the whole jungle and houses catch on fire, and the fire spreads - that's a pretty big rush. That's one thing that was done absolutely perfect in this game.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

Yeah, the protagonist has a really terrible VA, it becomes especially apparent with all the screaming he does. Every time he yells something you just know he is going to do it in the least realistic manner possible.

All the other acting was top notch. I'm not usually one to praise the acting in video games, but this had some great work. The guy who voiced Dennis was awesome, he really has a unique way of delivering lines and that part where he's completely drunk is very well-done. I'd say it had some of the best acting in a video game I've heard, and it's worth playing to see that video games can have acting as good as their movie counterparts.

Also the stabbing. This game had maybe the best combination of stealth and action in a first-person game I've played to date.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

I've been debating Farcry 3 for a while now. As someone who absolutely loved Farcry 2 and everything about it was pure bliss, and that I've not liked some of the slightly sillier things I've heard they'd thrown in (Let's go make a bag from x number of animal skins to make the new inventory system less pissy). I think I've set myself for a "later at a decent discount" sort of wait though. It seems fun, but it doesn't have the same sort of atmosphere or draw from watching videos of it that I ever got from Farcry 2.

I always felt really immersed in Farcry 2. I never got that from the way the videos seemed to show 3.

I've got plenty to keep me busy till the next big sale anyway, but I"m glad to hear everyone's opinions on it. I like skimming this thread from time to time.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2013, 09:31:58 pm »

>:(
That's not how an internet argument works you guys, gawsh!

I know, right?

I mean, there wasn't like, ONE mention of how the other guy was Hitler!

This is not kool guise

But on topic, I really, really liked Farcry 3.

Vaas was by far the best villain in the game. Hoyt, he didn't really cut it, I hated him and wanted to kill him, which are the trademarks of a "good" villain, but Vaas was on a different level entirely. I loved his insanity speeches, "Jason, have I ever told you the definition of insanity... Doing things over and over, expecting for it to change!" and this is a little fact, but I love the fact he basically told Jason he was batshit insane by acting into his own definition of insanity, by giving him the speech multiple times.

The game was actually quite a challenge, especially playing stealth, and something that annoyed me is that it seems that you really can't "Stealth" some of the main missions, especially towards the point of no return. I'm sitting here being shot at by heavies and jeeps with turrets on them, holding a little silenced pistol, silenced M700, a bow, and that one assault rifle you actually can silence. So basically, pussy setup.

I was also really annoyed with Heavies, as they are near impossible to kill, (For me, because my dumb ass never thought about using those handy fire/explosive arrows I crafted at the beginning of the game, ONCE,) but that's my own damn fault because I never think.

But the ending was actually really impressive. I thought they were going to bomb it, as most FPS games are wont to do nowadays, but I actually thought it was decently well done. I still tie in the fact the ONLY choice you make is at the end of the game, and hell, it is more about shooting people in fun ways than it is about story, so yeah, good ending compared to some cliffhanger that would leave an obvious hint for a crappy sequel.

I have a bunch of complaints though, most are minor and don't really take away from the game itself, but my biggest one: Jason sounds like a bitch. Someone please tell me they agree, because every time I hear the guy talk I want to punch myself in the face. The thing is, it's not the voice, I don't have anything wrong with the voice, per-say, it's a nice change from the typical charcoal-for-lungs grizzled war vet, but his inflection is what pisses me off, like when he tells whomever is driving the vehicle to go faster, I swear I hear his voice crack, and I sit here waiting for his pair to suddenly drop. Still, a minor complaint, and it didn't detract TOO much from the story, it was mainly when he talks in the middle of a fight is when it annoys me the most.
I need to put something interesting here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7