Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: FarCry 3  (Read 9398 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FarCry 3
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »

And this is why I still own a 360. Mostly to play stuff sans DRM :P

On topic, I'm really liking this game. Murdered a couple of pirates in their jeep. While I was going over their things I heard another jeep approaching, so with some quick thinking I threw some C4 under the car, thinking I'd blow it up when they went to investigate. I set it up and dive into a nearby bush to wait for their arrival. Who else is in the bush? A fucking tiger. I love how the wildlife is a legitimate danger in this game.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

Mostly to play stuff sans DRM

*hopes Chattox appreciates the irony of that statement*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »

Mostly to play stuff sans DRM

*hopes Chattox appreciates the irony of that statement*

Okay, to play stuff with DRM streamlined to the point where it's not a noticeable thing :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »

I'd like to like the game more, it's really good...

But it really jarrs my sense of disbelief when everyone starts using Malay terms. Because I can understand it all. Then it inevitably makes me wonder why all the Australians and Africans and Americans can understand and speak it (horribly). And where exactly this island is. Etc. I literally went  ::) the first time I heard "the Rakyat". The point where I couldn't take it any more was when Citra appeared and almost every other sentence she'd say something completely stupid in Malay. "bawakan herba". "turunkan senapang". Oh my god...

It was the same in Just Cause 2. Though in that case it was kinda fun because they were doing it horrible on purpose and the plot was super silly.

I guess to further illustrate, the feeling is like when you watch a Japanese anime break out the biblical terms.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:33 am »

...and I thought Just Cause 2 was the most Malay game ever.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:11:33 am by justinlee999 »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:07 am »

The only issues I'm having with FC3 so far are the short sniping distance (600 meters away everything is a pixelated blur), the slope controls (there are none, you slide down them and can't even try to climb, unlike the fixed climbing points), and the way it locks "skills" behind missions (though there may be a story explanation for this, I'm not very far into the story).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:21 am »

Considering the Casworay and Dingoes meeting up with that of the Asian Bear and other Animals of such I would put it between Indonesia and Australia, to the North East if anything considering the amount of New Zealand/Australian/Asian Accents that are mixed into the game. Granted some may be fake and put on by some voice actor but there are some that just make me feel that I am surrounded by New Zealanders and half expecting them to ask if I was wearing Jandels, use their Chilly Bin and such...

I sort of enjoyed the Knife Collecting part, the surprise in the water made me jump when you do that simple drop into it part way through the second 'dungeon'. Not sure if everyone had it happen but it just was a nice appearance...
Buck's appearance at the Start and End of each run was kinda funny too, and heck the damn idea that he walks past you and fucking disappears into no where (tell me how many of you actually turned looking for him) made it even more chuckle worthy. The Ending Fight was kinda sad if not short.....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »

Great game, I couldnt play Farcry 1 for shit, loved Farcry 2 but hated the fact that stealth was impossible, and this game nailed it pretty damn well.
But on that note, although it does a great job of no 'super see-through-walls ai', they do notice dead bodies when they otherwise wouldnt be able to see them,
 i.e. killing a sniper in a tower ~15m from the ground fully boarded but half the outpost instantly knows theres a corpse :/

But that just adds to the thought you have to put into capturing the outposts! It was so damn easy to kill everyone on the 1st island, but my god the second island makes you think much harder before taking out enemies willy-nilly.

What are your guys 4-weapon loadouts? I've used for majority of the game:
  • Recurve Bow
  • Silenced sniper (was M700 but now the Z73(23?))
  • The M14-like assault rifle silenced with optics
  • The Grenade launcher for when things go mega tits-up

Now I'm saving up for the Bushmaster, that looks pretty delicious. I just wish I could silence the ACE!

Edit: And on the note of short sniping distances, I've been unable to hit/alert any enemies from >=190 metres, which is sad, its not really sniping from such a small distance :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:54:54 pm by cartmann »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:23 pm »

Bow, Silenced sniper, the good LMG and whatever for fun which is the magnum atm.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 09:41:16 pm »

Sooo... should I buy it or not?

I am getting lots of mixed messages.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:01 pm »

What mixed messages? Even those who have a complaint or two said it was good. Just get it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »

What mixed messages? Even those who have a complaint or two said it was good. Just get it.

Damn you.  I just didn't want to spend the money.   :'(

Oh well new game.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:42 am »

God, I hate the bow, my loadout was:
Silenced assault rifle,
Shotgun
Silenced Sniper
Rocket launcher.

And yeah, its a good game, its a bit like skyrim in being a very good game, that could have easily been an excellent game buy the totally dumbassery of x, y and z that are in it just make it stop short.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Crabnumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:53 am »

Are you sure its Malay? Just from the videos, a bunch of the NPCs seemed to be greeting the player in Maori.

Back on topic, I tryed the game a little bit at my mates. The combat and missions seemed fun enough but I didn't really play it long enough to make a fully fledged opinon on it.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:51 am »

I approve of this game. It expands on what made FarCry 2 good and gets rid of a lot of the things that caused me to uninstall that one (like ridiculously quickly respawning guards).

I must say they really made some interesting characters, at least from what little I have played I think Vaas might just be one of the best villains I've seen in a game, the voice actor and animators really managed to make him capture the Lord of the fly crazy ass without going full retard.

The crafting system, while it does cause you to want to hunt some of them animals out there, seems VERY contrived. Sooo I need two bear pelts to make this bag... why bear? Why is shark not good enough for you! This managed to break my immersion for a while but soon it was forgotten because the game is just... fun.

If you liked Far Cry 2 then you will like this, if you thought Far Cry 2 was meh, then know that they have ironed out most of the annoyances (at least the ones I had) making this quite polished in fact.

The game also seems incredibly well optimized, I cranked everything up and have not experienced any slowdowns or shenanigans yet.

Sorry if this was all very rambling but I have only had two good nights sleep in a week :p

EDIT: Holy FOV slider that goes above 90 batman. How I have missed that :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:48:25 am by Aptus »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7