Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: FarCry 3  (Read 9400 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FarCry 3
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »

"MASH BUTTON"

it's pretty consolized.    It's not as bad as lots of the latest AAA titles though.  The crafting content is incredibly shallow and short-lived.  Skill system tacked on because you apparently can't release a game unless he has rpg elements.

Pretty underwhelming.  Reasonably fun, but essentially a rehash of Farcry 2 with elements ripped from Just Cause and AC.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »

I thought the skill system was a decent way of gradually teaching the player all the aspects of the game while allowing them to customise their play experience to some degree.

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:59:13 am »

Doesn't this have online required DRM or something or am i mistaken, i thought i saw giant bombs single player quick look play get paused due to server issues.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:50 am »

It's ubisoft.

If you're reallllly out of the loop, you should know that ubisoft has probably the single worst contemporary drm system.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:02 am »

I dont know how to fill about this one, i think i might be half-way torugh the game, maybe less and it seems i already have every weapons and most of my gear upgraded to te max, level ups are over abundant and after a few minutes all new elements feel like "mini-lame-quests". You are driving/walking and see a diamond icon? go fech!, you see a letter icon? go fech! you see a relic? go fech, and animal a plant you need? you know the drill it gets old at least for me preatty fast and i dont really see a point for it unless you want to 100% everything (wich i sometimes do regardless of the tedium).

Overall its not a bad game but i dont know if it deserves a full price purchase, it builds upon far cry 2 on almost every way wich is good, but i still have mixed feelings. On the other hand i have noticed some steps backwards from the previous one, weapons dont degrade at all (no rust/jamming etc) and enviroment destruction its almost non existant compared to the last one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »

Figured I'd link these RPS reviews:

What I Love About Farcry 3 - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/03/what-i-love-about-far-cry-3/

What I Loathe About Farcry 3 - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/04/what-i-loathe-about-far-cry-3/

Been tempted many times to pick up Far Cry but the acid in the negative reviews always sends me running. Way too many poor choices and/or interference with playing to make the rest seem like it's a must play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »

In my opinion the problems this game has are blemishes on a good game rather than signs of crappery.  It has some issues (interface, quicktime events, 90% of enemies seem to have AKs), but the fighting/driving/shooting/AI/sneaking/world are all fairly well done, its a good game.  The problems are more on the minor niggle level.  Kind of like skyrim with the interface issues, its a niggle on what is otherwise a good gaming experience.
  I kind of miss the constant worry of some nutters driving in out of nowhere in a clapped out sedan and trying to light you up that happened all the time in Farcry 2, in this game, once an area is clear, its pretty much safe (except from animals, my god the crocodiles make me jump every damn time).
  8 more weapons open up once you get to the second island as well.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 03:29:37 pm »

I loved FarCry 2, so I assume I'll love the 3rd.

Except I never played FC2, because it was ruined by one feature...malaria...

Having to find a cure every 15 minutes was the most annoying feature I've ever experienced in a game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »

Eh, you just had to vomit a passport at a civilian every now and then, I found the Malaria to basically be a nonentity when I was playing FC2.

I mainly love that game because of one moment with an RPG.

I was waiting on a crest, for a convoy of trucks to come by; had to blow them up for black  market dakka.

So I'd gotten this shitty RPG launcher to do the job with, I decided I'd be best to test it a few times first; I had three shots, figured I could afford 2 tests. So I fire, first shot is way wide of where I want it to hit, so I correct my aim and fire again. Perfect, right on target, I'm ready.

The convoy rolls along, and I leap into action, fire at the lead truck, then turn and run like fuck as the RPG drops at my feet and start spiralling around, setting the whole undergrowth on fire, I was laughing for a good 20 minutes before I could unpause and continue.

So.. How does FC3 stack up? And what sort of crafting/RPG elements are there?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:17 pm »

I don't think I ever had issues with malaria in FC2 either.  There were a couple points were I was out of for a while, but you can actually ignore several prompts in a row with no ill effects.  At no point in the game did malaria actually affect my playing, except for the occasional attack when I was fighting or something.

I also thought FC2 did an awesome job of "faux-realism," putting sort of realistic elements into a game but adapting them so they aren't detracting from the fun.  The occasionally hard to watch self-surgeries are a good example, as are the jams and misfires.  They give you that "I'm a dude out in the fucking bush and life isn't pretty" gritty realism element without making things boring or un-fun, like real injuries and equipment wear are.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:49:09 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »

It's ubisoft.

If you're reallllly out of the loop, you should know that ubisoft has probably the single worst contemporary drm system.

Oh i know Ubi is awful, i haven't purchased a game from them since splinter cell 3 (which i can no longer activate with there servers) but i was under the impression that they had stopped there always online DRM thing, but like i said in the giantbomb video it looked like they got stopped from playing single player due to server issues.  Can anyone confirm/deny that it requires constant contact with ubis servers to play?

(please tell me it doesn't i don't want to believe this many people would willingly pay for something with DRM like that)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

It's ubisoft.

Seems you're out of the loop here, Ubi dropped that system about 6 months ago and retroactively removed that requirement.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:23:34 pm »

Well, I got this with my new video card, so I decided to try it out.

Four hours later, I'm still trying to try it out, but the shitty ass Ubisoft DRM-program thing called uPlay is utterly retarded and doesn't see the game that I literally just got downloading in my list. It's completely and utterly obtuse, it came in a horrifically formatted email, and it comes with an idiotic Steam-knockoff that I have to use to play the game. I sure hope the game itself is worth it.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 05:31:40 pm »

Thats why some kind of technology god makes cracks, its not only for pirated games its also for ubisofts crap.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »

Well, I made it past that problem, and just fell into another.

Please, explain to me how the following makes any goddamn sense:

-You go through AMD's code to get the game in the first place and run everything through Ubisoft's stupid website by getting an account
-You actually buy the game
-They send you a basically unreadable email that has to be modified to even let you see the download buttons
-You sit around watching the gigantic download for a while
-The uPlay program is installed, but the game itself isn't present! Oh no, you have to open the goddamn game (which installed completely separately and doesn't include a shortcut on the desktop) to download the updates, and then it attaches itself to uPlay. But it isn't over...
-Now you have to REGISTER it with a code that I damn well can't find, and it isn't anywhere to be found (so far as I can tell) in either the emails or the actual uPlay page to even play it.

My God. I don't think I've been this tempted to just crack the stupid thing for a very, very long time.

EDIT: Found the Activation thing. It was in part of the "impossible to read" section of the email, "impossible to read" meaning dark grey text on a black background.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:49:46 pm by GreatJustice »
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7