Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: FarCry 3  (Read 9385 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FarCry 3
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »

Buy it! http://store.steampowered.com/app/220240/

It's much much better than the second game but it's notably better than the first. It has so much more gameplay than the other two combined. Hunting, crafting, stealth, contract kills, missions, etc!
Graphically it's great and also the writing in the game is surprisingly tight. Some of the voice acting is superb and all of it is at least passable. I have 5 hours on a review copy and will be playing it all this week as it releases on Tuesday at 1pm EST.

Honestly, I half suspected it was going to disappoint, but it definitely did not.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: FarCry 3
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:10:14 pm »

I like how the wild animals can severely fuck up your plans in a big way. It's hillarious to be chased by some guys, hide in the bushes, and then discover they were allready inhabited by something that now wants you dead.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

How is the PC version? Crappy port or actually functional? Also, are there any repeatable missions a la Skyrim? Like, generated contract kills, etc?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:18:09 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »

the writing in the game is surprisingly tight.
Starts alright but deteriorates and having the same twist(?) thrown at you like 5 times gets rather annoying.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It feels like there should be a larger arsenal of available weapons in the game than there is, a third is rather lackluster and you get to unlock all of it rather early.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »

How is the PC version? Crappy port or actually functional? Also, are there any repeatable missions a la Skyrim? Like, generated contract kills, etc?

PC version feels like it was designed for it from the ground up for the most part or they hid it well.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:03:36 pm »

What I'm wondering about is this multiplayer humiliation thing I heard about.

What happens at the end of the match, exactly?
Shoes...

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »

Starts alright but deteriorates and having the same twist(?) thrown at you like 5 times gets rather annoying.

It feels like there should be a larger arsenal of available weapons in the game than there is, a third is rather lackluster and you get to unlock all of it rather early.

Sounds like Farcry 2 then, chasing after "baddie" who pretty much looks after you the whole game. How is the AI though and do enemies have the ability to spot you as soon as you get close regardless of cover/concealment?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »

cover and concealment work pretty well, sometimes a little too well. All you need to know is that it's better than either of the last 2 in almost every way. It's still a video game though and if these forums have taught me anything lately it's that some people actually prefer to be game critics over enjoying games. So your mileage may vary according to your tastes.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:59 pm »

Sounds like Farcry 2 then, chasing after "baddie" who pretty much looks after you the whole game. How is the AI though and do enemies have the ability to spot you as soon as you get close regardless of cover/concealment?

You can hide in foliage, and if enemies were chasing you they might look around the area, but they cant see you unless they're fairly close. If they're unawares I think you can be basically right up next to them as long as you're in/behind a bush.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

The line of sight stuff and foliage cover all works great. Stealthing in this game is fun, and rarely leaves you feeling like the NPC's have super sight/hearing. Plus, you're given an indicator when an enemy sees you that goes up the longer you're exposed, giving you time to beat a retreat to cover.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

Debvon's synopsis is probably the most objective one we are likely to see before launch and I agree with it. As for the game being short? It took me 19.5 hours and there are more than a few things I could still go do(and will). http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=7989 says 22 hrs including most sidequests.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »

This is the best far cry game.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:20:38 pm »

I got it just before it came out (released on the 29th here in Europe, imagine that!) and I've enjoyed it so far. The best parts are the outpost assaults, IMO. There's something deeply satisfying about staking out an outpost and then executing a flawless takeover by killing everyone in just a few seconds.

The wildlife is a pretty interesting addition as well, although they could have given them better AI. Right now they're either blindly attacking you (through automatic rifle fire) or running away from you. Also echoing the dislike of quicktime events. They work decently well when they are just "mash [button] to stop getting chewed by crocodile" but prolonged sequences of quicktime events? No, thank you.

About the narrative, I can't say I care for it either way. It's not bad, but certainly not good either. Most characters are pretty flat, your friends are weirdly okay with you becoming a one-man murder machine overnight and just pretty blasé about the whole ordeal. There are a few points where they show some emotion, but then they just go back to not caring again a few minutes later. The villains are pretty neat, though, they're obviously bat-shit crazy, some more than others.

Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »

Will probably get it once Steam XMAS sale comes around and my bank account drains rapidly like every year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7