Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: You are Divinity!  (Read 5497 times)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: You are Divinity!
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:36 pm »

Nikalas was momentarily surprised by some douchebag teleporting in his face. He hesitated for half second before bliking off the roof top. He reappeared a few roofs away and pointed at the dumbass who had attacked him. "GET HIM"
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 08:44:57 am »

" I talk with fine lady, my good gentleman!" Cesare proclaimed with a broad smile... While his hands searched for the grip of his sword. A swift punch with the pommel of his sword in his epigastrium should silence this intruder pretty fast... At least he hoped so. Cary, beefy men tend to be more hardy than other persons. But, oh well, no cold feet. "And I intend to do finish this fine conservation with here, so shush back to your place where you belong."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:17 am »

Sesvin Talahar

Arriving at the inn you had been directed to by the merchant, you're pleased to find it both clean and reasonably priced. The downstairs is occupied by a large table-filled room and the kitchen, where masses of food are prepared to feed the crowds of customers. At the moment, the main room is nearly full of feasting and quaffing citizens, but you make contact with the innkeeper and rent out one of the few rooms on the upstairs level.

Idem Valan

You lead the wary beggar to an alley and beckon him in. When you ask him about information on the city, he seems to relax a little, apparently under the misapprehension that you only require knowledge from him.

"Well, yeh've got the City Watch. They're all around their buildin' in theh market, 'n they go 'round the houses 'n merchant stalls an' stores. Ol' Medella, he's got his wizerd guards, but they'n not go out ah the citadel to much."

He pauses to hock a wad of spit into the street.

"No'en comes round these slums much."

You nod contemplatively at the information as you lead him farther into the alley before spinning around and slashing his neck with your dagger. He screams once before his mouth fills with blood and he sinks to the ground. You draw out a carefully cut and engraved gem before coup de gracing the poor man. Whispering words of power, you draw the beggar's fading life force into the gem, lighting it up with a soft glow.

Glancing around for spectators, you prop the body up into an innocuous sitting position against a grimy wall and hurry away.

Niteris Lues

You settle back against the rough wood of the bar and watch this dumbass dig himself into an even deeper hole.

Bersiano Gorrath

((This spot will be filled when Germaina posts an action.))

Nikalas

A sudden weight crashes into your back, and you find yourself pinned down on the shingles. A voice speaks from on top of your back before suddenly cutting off.

"Whatever you are, you better provide a answer for why you are doing this type of magic to these people or --"

((Once Lemminkainen reacts to the Fear, more narration will be filled in.))

Cesare Dalirio

The alcohol speaks for you.

" I talk with fine lady, my good gentleman! And I intend to do finish this fine conservation with here, so shush back to your place where you belong."

A round of exhalations and whispers travels around the tavern. The man's face darkens a few shades and he whips a fist towards your jaw, moving faster than you had expected from a fat man like him. Fortunately for you, the booze hadn't impaired you to such an extent as to make you ignorant of the impending fight, and you manage to spin to the side before he can crack your jaw into extra pieces. Drawing your sword in the same fluid motion, you strike him in the gut with the pommel of your blade before stepping back and dropping into a ready stance, facing the goons that began advancing towards you as you do so.

The tavern freezes.

The thugs halt as the steel appears in your hand, you hold still while waiting for someone to react.

Burn Scars breaks the silence, just as you expected. You duck his strike and drive a fist towards his face. He surprises you by leaning out of the blow and body checking you over a table. Quickly, you roll to your feet in time to catch Ugly 1's charge and leverage him into an arc over the bar. An elbow to Ugly 2's face staggers him for long enough for you to leap over another table away from Burn Scars. As Ugly 3 advances towards you with a long dagger, you look contemptuously at him before disarming him with ease, taking the dagger and leaving him with a long cut on the forearm. A flick of the wrist and the dagger twirls into the wooden wall behind Ugly 1, at which point he wisely decides to duck back under the bar.

Burns is advancing again; he moves differently from the other thugs, carefully and precisely. His stance indicates that he's more than simply a slab of muscle and fat, perhaps having received formal training in combat at some point. No time to think about that anymore; he's coming at you again!

He feints low and catches you with a glancing blow to the head, before blocking your off-kilter kick with a twist of the knee. Jumping back before you can catch your balance, he seizes a chair and swings it overhead. Rolling to the left, you take cover under a table while the wooden limbs shatter apart on the solid oak. You charge out, inflicting a light slash on his leg before slamming a fist into his face!

He falls back, breathing heavily. The tavern returns to immobility.

"Get. Out." He growls at you. "Get out of this city, or I'll hunt you down."

Lemminkäinen Ahti

You charge towards the other building, leaping between the narrow rooftops on a wave of arcane energy. With your momentum, you crash into the dark figure from behind and pin him to the ground.

"Whatever you are, you better provide a answer for why you are doing this type of magic to these people or --"

Your gaze snaps up as you realize that you forgot something.

The thing you forgot looks back at you.

You suddenly find yourself in a dimly illuminated warehouse.

Hadrian Atarkis

Yes, THE MINIONS! In the backwater you used to live, you couldn't find any quality minions unless you snared them while they were passing through town! This city, now this is a place where you can get some proper henchmen. But where to find them...

After some searching, you arrive at a crowded forum; friends laughing together, couples snuggling or making out or whatever it is kids do these day, people just standing around waiting. Naturally, you make your way to the perfect coordinates to recruit your workers. That is, you climb up onto a the elevated base of a statue of some old hero, five feet above the heads of the crowd.

You clear your throat, preparing to give a monologue that will draw them to your cause. You're already getting strange looks, so you probably will have an easy time getting their attention.

Istriti Durtiph

Piling a substantial chunk of valuables onto the back of the uncomplaining mule, you make your way to the slums, handing out alms to the poor and blessing those who come to you. You've gathered quite a crowd, but the vast majority of them peel off and leave when they realize your destination.

Soon you are alone except for the impoverished citizens, who come out to beg before running to safety to avoid having their precious and scant valuables stolen. It's heartbreaking, the misery they live in. You do your best to help those who come to you.

Eventually, you are alone again. Your hoard has been given to those in need, and the streets are again deserted. Except... something is wrong. VERY wrong. Evil hangs about the road like a terrible stench. You follow it to an alley... Down the alley... To a drunken man. You gingerly prod the unconscious fellow with your boot, only to have him fall over to the side. Dried blood cakes his neck and chest.

Another updoot! However, before we continue there's one hurdle you players must jump.

Each of you needs to write a backstory, not necessarily overly complex or detailed, but it must be well-written. You don't need to use giant words, you don't need to employ any literary devices, hell, you don't even need to give any real details. The only requirements are that nearly everything is both spelled correctly and grammatically accurate. I'm certain everybody can do at least that, but if you can't, you can't play any more. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to narrate a story for anybody who can't be bothered to put even that small amount of effort into responding.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2012, 12:30:31 am »

Backstory of Nikalas: Nikalas was originally a hedge-mage known as Reth Hdasmith. However, one day a strange being appeared in his dreams and told him he had been chosen to be the new vessel for the divine spirit Nikalas. The old one apparently had "gotten fucked up and walked off a damn cliff." Reth chose to accept and the next day summoned a host of Fears to terrorize those he hated. He took the survivors and created a cult. They moved to the nearby mountains and built a temple to him. A few years ago a band of overzealous paladins known as the "Light-Bringers" stormed the temple and killed everyone. Nikalas was not amused. He fled and has been roaming the land, looking for a place to start anew and gain revenge.

((I type up most of this stuff from a Kindle, cut me a little slack man.))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:44:56 am by mcclay »
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:44 am »

Backstory of Nikalas: Nikalas was originally a hedge-mage known as Reth Hdasmith. However, one_day a strange being appeared in his dreams and told him he had been chosen to be the new vessel for the divine spirit Nikalas. The old one apparently had "gotten fucked up and walked off a damn cliff." Reth chose to accept and the next day_summoned a host of Fears to terrorize those he hated. He took the survivors and created a cult. They moved to the nearby mountains and built a temple to him. A few years ago, a band of overzealous paladins known as the "Light-Bringers" stormed the temple and killed everyone. Nikalas was not amused. He fled and has been roaming the land, looking for a place to start anew and gain revenge.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:45 am »

Idem Valan will head to the streets once more and act innocent. From there he will make his way to the market.

Idem Valan grew up among mages of all different species as a child. Dwarves who could turn copper to steel. Elves who could make a sapling into a sturdy spear. Humans who could make coins appear from their pockets, filthy fakers. Goblins who... Sat around doing nothing. . His father took him everywhere he went as he traded his treasures far and wide. He saw it all. Children playing, barfights, wolves attacking a deer. Including one instance he himself got to hunt a wolf. He still has the scar from that terrible failure.

His father had once brought him to Rothinea on a trip. He had never seen such a large city in all his travels. The magic, the culture, the people. It was all new to him, having grown up in a small village and spent most of his life with his father traveling the land. There, his life changed. He and his father were assaulted by local ruffians. His father attempted to fight back, but was killed that day. Idem himself attempted to use his magic to defend himself, and when the first thug fell with his soul trapped, Idem felt more alive than ever. To this day, he wishes revenge on the incompetent rulers of this city for their failure of protecting the ones inside it's very own walls. 

((That good?))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:38:32 am by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:19 am »

Niteris Lues

It wasn't Morbridge Fighting pits quality but for a free fight it was entertaining. Nit order a drink and placed a small bet(Nit wonder for a moment who set a betting ring up so quickly)on the foolish swordsman, something said to him that swordsman was more than he appear.

((Is the lower part of this post fine as backstory?))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:53:09 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

germaina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2012, 04:36:50 pm »

Bersiano waits for a minute before approaching the vendor. "Good sir, who is that man clad in steel you were speaking to earlier?  He has me a bit unnerved, so any details you provide would be greatly appreciated."

(Should he provide me the information head to the inn to talk to Sesvin.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:58:46 pm by germaina »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »

"Well, well. Either I leave the town or I will meet your ugly face again...Hard choice, hard choice..." Cesare idly pondered while idly letting his blade dance. Finally, he presse the tip against the throath of the scarred man, smiling broadly.

"Or I kill you right here. On the spot. And get over it. Do you know how it is to bleed out? At first, you'll feel the pain and you will be scared... But then, the blood loss will make you light-headed, almost drunk. Peacefully, your life will drift away." Cesare prodded the man lightly with the sword, making him barely bleed.

"I give you another offer instead. Leave me alone or I'll show you how much fun it is to die."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

((Do you want me to post a backstory or does what I posted earlier suffice?))

After making sure his lodging is guaranteed, Sesvin moves on to check the room and after making sure there is nothing wrong with it, walks back downstairs and leaves the inn, heading back from where he came - the commercial district. He still had his main objective to fulfill there, after all, and any smaller magical artifacts could go unnoticed by someone without any knowledge of their appearance and characteristic aura.

Another thing he had learned is that magic items could be anywhere. Stores, stands, libraries and treasure troves - power could be anywhere. Although it was rare to find anything powerful in the hands of common shopkeepers, any place that dealt with used objects, antiques and the like was bound to have at least one item with a minor enchantment worth spending some coins on.

More recently, Sesvin had taken a liking to searching for the so-called "cursed" items. Although many were bereft of any power at all, some actually had a good amount of power, energy he absorbed in its purest form - what was inside him didn't discriminate between energies of darkness and light. The dragoon rationalized that by doing such thing he was protecting people from falling to the objects' ill power and intent. Or maybe not.

Head to the commercial district and start to make a through search on the stands and stores, preference for antiquaries.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »

Idem Valan grew up among mages of all different species as a child. Dwarves who could turn copper to steel. Elves who could make a sapling into a sturdy spear. Humans who could make coins appear from their pockets, filthy fakers. Goblins who... Sat around doing nothing. His father took him everywhere he went as he traded his treasures far and wide. He saw it all. Children playing, barfights, wolves attacking a deer. Including one instance he himself got to hunt a wolf. He still has the scar from that terrible failure.

His father had once brought him to Rothinea on a trip. He had never seen such a large city in all his travels. The magic, the culture, the people. It was all new to him, having grown up in a small village and spending most of his life with his father traveling the land. There, his life changed. He and his father were assaulted by local ruffians. His father attempted to fight back, but was killed that day. Idem himself attempted to use his magic to defend himself, and when the first thug fell with his soul trapped, Idem felt more alive than ever. To this day, he wishes revenge on the incompetent rulers of this city for their failure of protecting the ones inside it's very own walls. 

((That good?))

That's good.

((Is the lower part of this post fine as backstory?))
Niteris Lues, or Nit as most called him (if they saw him in the first place), was normally a simple man. Stealing things that caught his eyes without thinking about the outcome would be example of this. However he came to this city for one reason: revenge on a former partner. Pedor had tipped the guards to a recent heist. Nit evaded the law-men, but Pedor had made off with the loot in the meanwhile.

But enough of the present; Nit's past is important if you want to know why he became a thief. Born of a con-man and a whore of the thug-town Morbridge, Nit's childhood was short, learning to steal whatever he had to to survive almost as soon as he could walk. It was little wonder that Nit left that ramshackle place as soon as possible.

Are you sure you want to use that backstory for your literary litmus test?

Stuff
More stuff

I need you two to write backstories before this round's actions, though I'll edit in Bersiano's action to the previous round.

((Do you want me to post a backstory or does what I posted earlier suffice?))
Sesvin is calm and collected, usually a man of few - and usually pleasant - words and an unbreakable will and resolve which may make him appear stubborn from time to time as he sets his mind on something. He has been training, his mind always focused on obtaining power; he himself doesn't know why he pursues power or when he started to do it, but he does know he has to have it. Maybe for the drive of the search in itself - a quest to discover what he really wants from the world, with the side benefit of having means to get it in the end.

The dragoon also helps the people within his reach; even if he doesn't happen to be a hero, he has no problem in assisting the people he comes across and striking down the wicked. He doesn't feel overjoyed by it, but it does give him a sense of warmth, and it is one of the few things he cherishes in his inconcise, uncertain life. Sesvin likes to help in chores and small household tasks of the common folk when he has already spent some of his time trained and decided for some time of rest. He is usually methodical and focused when performing a task.

The young man protects the weak, for he feels death may be a path to Oblivion and thus lives must be spared. The wicked also have the right to live, but depending on their crimes, their claim to life is weaker; and thus they have accepted the risks of treading the path.

He has occasional bouts of cheerfulness.

That works just fine.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »

I'll write one up in the morning.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »

The dwarf priest cringed at the sight. Istriti covered the poor fellow with a nearby rotten blanket, and murmured a prayer to the Mountain-Father. Her hoard was gone now...nothing held her back. The stench of black magic hung about his corpse, and she could feel her god poking at her to find it...almost certainly to destroy such foul evil, right? So the Durtiph knelt and uttered a short litany, beseeching her god to give her the strength and ability to follow and overcome this adversary. This was why her powers had been given to her. This is why she was needed. This was just the beginning.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »

Excuse me if this makes me sound like a moron, but are applications open right now? If so, I would like to join:

Lornith Kios, the Charmer (A kind of character I just made up; uses illusions to get foes to fight for him and get his way).
About average height, with bright green eyes. He wears leather robes of multiple colors, such as blue, red, green, cyan, and purple. He carries a staff with a small gem at the top with multiple iridescent lights glowing inside it.

Sorry if my character is a little OP. I will be willing to change a few details, if you want me to.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2012, 01:22:38 am »

Hadrian Atarkis
Right. Public speaking... It's a shame that Hadrian is such rubbish at that.
*ahem* "Young People! Who among you has an unquenchable thirst for Progress? Who among you has ever looked at all sapient creatures and thought on their limitless potential? Who here wants to polish that potential to its utmost? Join me. Join me, and together we will peel back the veil of ignorance and usher in a new age of the earth! Please. If you love the world, come with me, and I will show you such wonders."
Hadrian blushes slightly as he steps down, hoping against hope that the fires of !!SCIENCE!! may be kindled in the souls of at least one of these young persons.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7