New Fort
- 12 (38.7%)
Use my old, 11 year fort so we can skip straight to the fun part
- 5 (16.1%)
Other (post)
- 6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: AncientBushes, Yet Another Succession Game! (Noobs Welcome)  (Read 13162 times)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AncientBushes, Yet Another Succession Game! (Noobs Welcome)
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:06 am »

MY WORK LIVES ON!!I saved the fort once again! We still need more stone-fall traps...
I also forgot to dorf myself, so anyone mind doing that?

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:12 am »

wow... man i want another go at this.
Who drafted me by the way.
also Can I have a private still that way i can be more like Hawk eye.

I don't think anyone asked for a turn after Jesternairo, honestly. So you could probably just take the save and go at it.

We need more weapon traps, not stonefall traps. Stonefall traps have the one-shot problem, and if a 200-strong siege comes it'll probably get hrough them.

Also, interesting thing I remembered while reading through you guys getting through the aquifer - it's not a layer aquifer. It's just in the Conglomerate stone. If you find a patch of something else (like Jet), it won't be aquifer. That's how I got the second path down to the bedrooms dug out.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:59 am »

The fun part about stone fall traps is that they give often cause unconciousness. This allows your military to knotch up their kill-count with relatively little risk.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:19 am »

True, but from what I saw, when the enemies are mounted, the traps only affect the mount. So as soon as you kill their mount, the riders are just as deadly as always.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:12 am »

Yes, but there are so so so many stone traps that the riders are still killed or knocked out before they reach the entrance. Also, the end section of traps is all weapons or cages (I forget which), allowing for an additional layer of safety. I would go so far as to say that for most mundane seiges, no dwarf need die at all.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:15 am »

They're cage traps, and there are some weapon traps mixed in with the stone ones. I only know that because there was a report in which a goblin got completely obliterated by one.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2013, 11:24:11 am »

It saves time on redecorating if you can coat the entire passage with a fine goblin spray.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:15 am »

Also, something strange I noticed in the fort. The soil layers aren't growing moss or anything of the sort. No trees, no plants, no nothing.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2013, 11:53:51 am »

Have we broke through to the cave level yet? That unleashes the spores that make things grow on soil. I definitely never sent anyone down into the underdark.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:44 am »

Yeah, the caves were revealed when I got the save, and I sent some dwarves down to get cave spider silk for that strange mood.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »

The cave needs moss to grow moss in your fort.
We have stone-fall traps in our little trap entrance,a row or two of weapon traps in the corridor(MAKE MOAR USING INVADER WEAPONS), and a few cage traps in our true entrance.
Only FB's get through, and titans.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »

Press J, and hunt down "cut (stonename) Repeat).  That's where it's all coming from.

If only 4 deaths lead to your tantrum spiral....
I'll bet you my stock of famous masterwork cat tallow pudding roasts against your stock of cut stone that the dining tables still aren't set up correctly-you need about one undesignated chair+table combination for every two distinct designated dining halls, and you need one designated, unassigned dining hall every 5-20 dwarves.

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2013, 05:03:40 pm »

I was working on making an actual dining hall when my turn ended. And there couldn't have been any Cut Stones jobs on - I deconstructed the only Jeweler's Workshop I found.

Also, as an example to the power of social dwarves: My current fort, nobody really had any close ties. Due to not fully isolating myself in time, a crossbow ambush ravaged my fort. Lost over 40 dwarves. That put three of the remaining fifty at unhappy. Everyone else was Happy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:07:27 pm by Manze »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »

not...dining hall.  dining halls.  plural. 

If the dining hall designations overlap, the dwarves perceive only one dining hall, and only one dwarf will use it for dining at a time...at least, that's what happens in my fort whenever I try to use a single dining hall. 

Even my workaround isn't 100% effective, but it's the difference between 10% of the fort using a dining hall, and 80% of the fort using a dining hall.   

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »

wow... man i want another go at this.
Who drafted me by the way.
also Can I have a private still that way i can be more like Hawk eye.

I don't think anyone asked for a turn after Jesternairo, honestly. So you could probably just take the save and go at it.

Ok im going to have a go at this wish me luck
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15