New Fort
- 12 (38.7%)
Use my old, 11 year fort so we can skip straight to the fun part
- 5 (16.1%)
Other (post)
- 6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: AncientBushes, Yet Another Succession Game! (Noobs Welcome)  (Read 13160 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: AncientBushes, Yet Another Succession Game! (Noobs Welcome)
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:49 am »

But don't you see the ultimate efficiency in having one mass bedroom? Everyone gets to live in communal splendor! Much easier than carving out and furnishing hundreds of individual bedrooms.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

*nods nods*

I never build my rooms any other way these days.  then again, I'm often playing on embarks with little to no wood 

Incidentally, dining rooms work best if they do NOT overlap, since otherwise dwarves get very confused as to whether a dining table is in use or not. 
p.s. que me up!

dwarfing request: any male mechanic preferred; medical work is a no-no (patient care is ok), but if not a mechanic, then a dwarf with a ton of different labors enabled will do. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »

Ah, I also made almost all the bedrooms overlap with the dining room to capitalise on the artefact furniture therein

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:56 pm »

It makes the fort feel like less of a fort, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Journal of Manze, Digger of Holes

This entire fortress has two goddamn stonecrafters. Are you kidding me. What kind of dwarves are we? I'd understand it if we had metalcrafters and magma forges, but we don't. Two of our new migrants have been reassigned.

I tire of my post as Captain of the Guard, not having wanted it in the first place, so I have reassigned myself. I just told the first dwarf I saw that he could have the job. [[Checking later, he's married and has 14 kids. I'm impressed.]]

Why are there so many ghosts here?

An Elven caravan has arrived. Let's see if they brought anything of use. We're short on tradeable crafts, so I'm bringing some of our many cut rocks (who calls these damn things "gems", anyways?) to trade as well.

That damned broker is taking a long time to get there. What's he doing? Making tables? Who in the hell divided labour in this fort?

I've ordered a ton of cabinets and coffers be made for the upcoming housing projects. I also enlisted a few more miners from the recent migrant wave.

[[Each section has two rows of 15 rooms in it. There are currently 60 rooms designated.]]

The elves brought a ton of wood, thankfully. And enough wool to completely carpet the entire fort for some reason. I traded them practically everything we had for their wood and their food.

A lot of the children were complaining that they weren't allowed to go to the food stockpile. Apparently a previous overseer set a burrow for most of the fort, but didn't fully include the new stockpile room. They've since been told to go wherever they please.

I notice a dwarf with a strange look in his eyes running out of a workshop. Intrigued, I take a look at what he's got in there. Mighty strange.

Guess he found what he wanted.

I decided to check how long the mayor's sentence was, and noticed something extremely strange. Someone convicted a child of murder with no evidence against them! Would a child really do such a thing? And who would convict with no evidence?

That crazy dwarf made one heck of a hammer. Out of bone. Well. At least our Hammerer will be able to dole out justice in style.

OH GOODY. More migrants. Just what we needed. Unless they all come with pickaxes, I couldn't care less. [[I turned this entire migrant wave into miners. None of them had worthwhile skills.]]

Bad news. Even with all the seeds we've managed to gather, our 255 (!) dwarves are outeating our ability to farm. Booze production is barely stable with 3 stills going full-tilt. I hope the dwarven caravan brings a lot of plump helmet seeds.

Sackhead, the Old Doctor, is back on his feet again. He's not the Chief Medical Dwarf for now, as his replacement did a stellar job, but he's definitely staying on as assistant doctor.

I found a hidden elf!

Progress in the massive quantity of cabinets and coffers I ordered was slow, so I temporarily constructed two more Mason's workshops. It will help, but the production of 360 stone items will take some time regardless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fractalman, you've been dorfed. Stone Detailer / Mechanic / Architect. I'll tell him to pump out a bunch of mechanisms for us.

It's currently the end of Malachite. I don't think I'll have all the rooms ready by the end of my turn, but I'll damn well try.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

A 3x3 bedroom design. I usually go with a 3x2 myself. You can fit everything they want into the room, the dwarves are happy with the general size, and seems a lot more humane than the 1x2 closets I've seen most players cram dwarves into.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »

I used to go 2x2, with cabinet coffer and bed with 1 empty space, but I decided that's still too small a room for humane purposes. 3x3 gets everything they need and lots of space to relax in.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »

I'm ignoring that any of this happened. If you'd like to see why I hate social forts, read on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:47:01 pm by Manze »

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2013, 08:18:54 pm »

This fort is still alive!!!???

How...
In...
The...
World?...

I must write a ballad of the resilience of ancientbushes.
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »

It's not alive, technically. It would not have survived the tantrum spiral that it was already in. I could post the save shortly before the siege, if you guys want, or I could play through my year. And make sure not to lose 4 dwarves. That's all it took to lose the fort. 4 deaths. Way too many social ties.

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:32 pm »

I mean people are still posting.
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »

I am. I don't know about anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel like the military needs some restructuring. Let's see how I can do this. As it is, we have a few large squads, and one small squad that consists of the captain of the guard and the hammerer. While it is nice for large battles, it's bad for training. The entire military's been restructured. It now goes as follows:

The Closed Syrups - Captain of the Guard and Hammerer. Use only in emergencies.
The Oily Bowels - Marksdwarves. Full squad of ten.
Earthen Coincidences - 2x Speardwarves.
Constructive Numbers - 2x Swordsdwarves.
Tongs of Scalding - 2x Axedwarves.
The Ochre Manors - 2x Hammerdwarf.
The Blockaded Rays - 10x miscellaneous. Used for general training. Will not level as fast as the 2dwarf squads.
The Spirits of Wire - 10x miscellaneous. Again, general training.

The 2dwarf squads are for active service, and should level fastest. Should a dwarf in one of them become too injured to remain on duty, remove him from active service, changes hid profession to Retired Vet, and replace him with one from the training squads. The training area has also been majorly expanded, and even includes archery ranges.

In unrelated news, sackboy and the Captain of the Guard both had babies on the same day. Double congratulations.

A "blind dervish Diplomat" has arrived. This seems like a sign that something horrible is going to happen. And hot on his heels, a human caravan. Here's hoping they bring useful things!

And they get ambushed in 6 seconds. I bet they run away. At least they're close to the entrance, for easy recovery.

[[I made an alert called Hide! that restricts units to Burrow 6, which is pretty much the entire fort. And the trade depot.]]

The caravan makes it in. It's two wagons. Their two bowman guards stay behind to pepper the remains of the ambush. I send in the Constructive Numbers, looking for some easy experience, when they get ambushed by another goblin squad. They don't last long.

Oh look, more caravan wagons. And a cheese maker is trapped outside. A couple of dogs charged at the goblins in the entrance. They're not doing badly, to be honest.

The Deity the humans sent us is apparently happy with us.

[[I took a look at an unhappy Marksdwarf's relationships screen. Fifteen kids. Six pages of friends. And probably over 140 relatives.]]

The seasons change, and so did I. You need not wonder why. It's halfway through my term as overseer, according to some obscure law.

The militia captain had twins. How many kids does she have now? 18? Jeez. Busy husband.

The Baroness mandated that no figurines be traded. Coincidentally, we are critically low on trade goods. I order some gems be brought forth. I traded basically everything i could for all of their wood and some booze. I'll try to get some mugs made to trade for their food.

[[It turns out I accidentally enlisted all 4 of our stonecrafters. Whoops. Time to make some new ones. And half our miners, too. I need to pay more attention.]]

The merchants left before I could get them anything for their food. So be it. We can hold out until the dwarven caravan.

There was a minecart track leading from a lower floor to the stone stockpile. After revisiting the ramps beside it, I noticed there were parts where the only way up was to walk on the tracks -- a massive safety hazard, to be sure. The path was widened and the problem was fixed.

I had another kid. Why are there so many babies in this fort? Is it because EVERYONE SLEEPS IN THE SAME DAMN ROOM?

The human caravan "left" a month ago. It's still sitting in the trade depot. Nobody's tried to move. I'll try deconstructing the depot and seeing if that helps.

More migrants have arrived. What are the odds these ones have kids, too?

The Baroness is miserable because of "the pretentious dining arrangements of a lesser". I don't know who in this damn place has a dining room. I don't even know where hers is. I'm digging her a room now.

It's the middle of Timber and there's been no dwarven caravan. Uh oh. I've ordered the construction of a kitchen, and for it to make Lavish meals out of everything but plump helmet spawn and brewable plants. Drink stores are in the positives (up 200 in the last three months), so I've reduced brewing to 2 stills.

Aha! The dwarven caravan is here. It's just later than usual.

The liaison asked what we'd need for next year. I put Wood and Drinks as low priority, and Plump Helmets and their seeds as High priority. Gauntlets and High Boots were also requested.

I still don't know why we have so many Cut Rocks. Oval Cut Conglomerate isn't worth anything or pretty. And that's a waste of a good stone.

Our broker is the laziest broker I've ever met. I told him the caravan was coming. He went and stood in the depot until he could see them, then ran off to eat, drink, go on break, and sleep. I told one of my fellow miners to go trade instead.

We traded a bunch of crafts, a decent supply of spare weapons, and all the conglomerate cabochons i could find for almost all of their food, three bags of plump helmet seeds, and all of their booze. And their spare backpacks, because apparently we have almost none. No wonder military training takes so long. Here's how our stocks look after that trade.

Also of note is the 88 children. Jesus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This time nothing of interest is happening. My turn's almost over, should be one more update.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

I get what you're saying about it feeling less like a fort. It, uh, depends what kind of fort-feel you want though. One big communal bedroom has the added 'benefit' of making everyone friends with everyone else. More marriages that way and thus more babies. Just don't let any one die. Pro-tip: to find a bedroom, hold Ctrl-R for the list of rooms. Pressing Q and looking over the tables should reveal that a broker or recordkeeper has a legendary dining room.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2013, 08:02:54 pm »

I hate making everyone friends in forts. It makes failed moods a major problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A stonecrafter got taken by a fey mood. Useful.

One of our masons is finally legendary. Good.

Our military squads are finally practicing sparring. Perfect. They'll be useful in no time. Our marksdwarves are also using the archery ranges regularly. These dwarves will be in tip-top shape in no time!

That craftsdwarf is complaining about needing silk and plant cloth. I don't know if we have either. He also grabbed some more "gem" rocks. Where do those things keep coming from?

According to the stocks we have tons of cloth. Maybe he wants more cut gems. I've ordered some more to be cut.  Oh, we need *silk* cloth. Uh oh.

I've ordered some more bedroom areas dug out while we wait on furniture for the first set. We also could use some more stone, so it's doubly useful. [[And I learned how to use macros! Whee!]]

Here's the trade agreement for next year, for the next overseer.

I can't guarantee that dwarf with the strange mood will find everything he wants. I've ordered digging of the new bedrooms to stop and for the miners to dig a path to the caverns. There's a beast down there, so this should be fun.

It's a week into Obsidian and we're about to breach the caverns. The beast waits outside, as if it knows we're here. The miners had better hurry up or the next overseer will have a very unpleasant surprise waiting for him.

We are victorious! And it only cost us one dog. Unfortunate, but manageable. Now we hope we can get some silk cloth in time.

OF COURSE. Ten days left of my rule, and we're hit with a siege? Couldn't have it any other way, I suppose.

A poor war dog is caught outside while I call the civilians indoors.

The dwarf in the strange mood got his silk cloth. There's one problem solved.

Whichever overseer put the gratuitous amount of traps in the main fort entrance, well done. The siege is stuck outside.

That black bear I got from the elves, along with our war dogs, are charging through the traps. Stupid, but entertaining. Makes me with I could train that bear for war. [[I really wanted us to have bear cavalry. Too bad you can't war train black bears.]]

Due largely in part to the massive amount of traps, and the surely terrifying war bear, the siege is broken. I'll send in a couple squads to clean up.

Spring is here! Time to retire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's my turn. It was certainly fun - please put me back on the list.

Notes for next overseer:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7503

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »

I think I already said this, but my computer has been acting up. I have to bow out of my turn. sorry.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:33 pm »

wow... man i want another go at this.
Who drafted me by the way.
also Can I have a private still that way i can be more like Hawk eye.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15