Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood Furnaces as incinerators for clothing and wooden items  (Read 660 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood Furnaces as incinerators for clothing and wooden items
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:00:28 am »

We can melt metal objects at a smelter, why not allow us to use a wood furnace to turn XX<socks>XX or *oak right gauntlet* into ash?

If all items have the capability in code to be melt-tagged, then if an item is a nonmetallic item and is melt tagged then it goes to the wood furnace instead.  Not knowing how the code works, I'd think that melt-tags are just an item field shared across all objects of certain types, but the class of material controls whether the melt tag can be activated?

say 1/20 of an ash for each non-log that is burned?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Furnaces as incinerators for clothing and wooden items
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:11 am »

1. Moddable (I believe)
2. Suggested a lot

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:21 am »

1. Moddable (I believe)
2. Suggested a lot

Aye I've seen it done, but I prefer to play without mods if possible.  Seen too much weird broken stuff with mods.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:09:50 am »

Fire leaves ashes on the groud (after vegetation burns) it would be nice if those could be collected too. Ash is pretty much the rarest of resources and useful in so many ways (fertilizer, glass, soap).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:15:55 am »

1. Moddable (I believe)
2. Suggested a lot
Beat me to it.

Fire leaves ashes on the groud (after vegetation burns) it would be nice if those could be collected too. Ash is pretty much the rarest of resources and useful in so many ways (fertilizer, glass, soap).
You can make ash by burning wood.
I find it amusing that ash is considered rarer and more valuable than, say, gold.

1. Moddable (I believe)
2. Suggested a lot
Aye I've seen it done, but I prefer to play without mods if possible.  Seen too much weird broken stuff with mods.
You can mod in a simple reaction to do exactly what you want to do easily enough.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »

Mods are well and good, but I rarely use them.  They typically break things even as they are adding features that might be interesting.

A furnace for disposal of non-metallic items would be nice.  It makes sense.  Vermin corpses, rotting foot items, anything nonmetallic and non-stone that can be put into a refuse pile could be burned for tiny bits of ash.

It's not that ash is uncommon, it's not.  It just seems like a relatively large hole in the crafting structure of the game that could be plugged cleanly at the development level.  There are other missing things and most of them get discussed here, but few would be as quick and easy to fix.

Is it classed as refuse?  Is it nonmetallic?  Is it non-stone?  If the answer is yes to all three, then it can feed the furnace and have a chance of producing a bit of ash every now and then.

Adding a nonmetallic equivalent to the "melt" command for non-degraded items as well would be a bonus.  I could actually buy and use more things from elves and humans.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:21:58 pm by Farmerbob »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »

Mods are well and good, but I rarely use them.  They typically break things even as they are adding features that might be interesting.
Just mod in the one thing. I promise it won't break the game once you get it to work.

A furnace for disposal of non-metallic items would be nice.  It makes sense.  Vermin corpses, rotting foot items, anything nonmetallic that can be put into a refuse pile could be burned for tiny bits of ash.

It's not that ash is uncommon, it's not.  It just seems like a relatively large hole in the crafting structure of the game that could be plugged cleanly at the development level.  There are other missing things and most of them get discussed here, but few would be as quick and easy to fix.

Is it classed as refuse?  Is it nonmetallic?  Is it non-stone?  If the answer is yes to all three, then if can feed the furnace and have a chance of producing a bit of ash every now and then.
Sensible, and yes something like this should eventually be added to vanilla.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

I make it a point to make sure my mods leave absolutely nothing in the errorlog, regardless of whether or not it actually makes any difference to gameplay. So yeah, my mods break absolutely nothing.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:31 pm »

You can make ash by burning wood.
I find it amusing that ash is considered rarer and more valuable than, say, gold.

I am well aware of this, but wood resources can be insufficient for ash production. Unlike gold ash is actually useful.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:12 pm »

I make it a point to make sure my mods leave absolutely nothing in the errorlog, regardless of whether or not it actually makes any difference to gameplay. So yeah, my mods break absolutely nothing.

You would be surprised at what mods break that aren't in the errorlog.