Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Embark Area Size  (Read 11148 times)

Re: Embark Area Size
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »

Depends on where I am embarking.

Most of the time I do 5x5 or 6x6, but sometimes I go as low as 3x3.

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:23 am »

I love 7x7

I want large battle fields.

So far no issues but haven't yet got over 100 dwarfs.  I also use 150 FPS and always get at least 120.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:40 am »

I stick religiously to 2x2, and have my forts at least as deep as they are wide. Back in the days of nanofort, I would make some 1x1s and the occasional 2x1, but my usual size was still 2x2.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »

Each local map square is 48x48 ingame, right?

My ideal map would be 256x256 (since that happens to be the size of the zones in the Roguelike game I'm programming) but that makes it to 5.333+^2. Also, DF uses multiple levels at once, which makes such a large embark area unnecessary to me.

So I've stuck with the default 3x3 with no problem. I'd go 4x4 if I needed more space.

Has anyone ever tried something lopsided like 8x1? Does it play well?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:53 pm »

I tried a 2x6 once, but I didn't like it so I didn't play long. Too much scrolling.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:42 am »

I run 2x2, usually. Takes me a few dozen worlds before I find a good site, but fps kills me bad if I take a bigger area. Occasionally, I'll run a 3x2 for a particularly interesting feature.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:51 am »

I will go with 5x5 and on rare occasions 7x7.

I try to have my fort with 200+ dwarfs 1/2 of the population producing and the other half my military might. I will build forts above ground to split the invasion between two forts of twenty five soldiers. The other half of the military defend the kingdom I build in the caves. I find using the caves much easier then building close to the surface. I find the way I play a barrel of fun.
Adapted to the caves

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »

2x2, pretty much every time now. Not so much for the framerate (although 100 FPS all day every day IS pretty nice), but because I like that particular scale. 2x2 teaches me to build vertically as well as horizontally, the caravans start out that much closer, and if I feel like turtling up and building a wall around the entire map then I can do that without stabbing my eyeballs out.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »

4x4 with popcap (of zero), 2x2 without. I usually play with the popcap though.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:29 pm »

I tend to do 5x5, as it leaves plenty of space to build sprawling epic forts.
The down side is that merchants have further to travel, so are more likely to be cut down by goblins and their ilk.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »

I tend to do 5x5, as it leaves plenty of space to build sprawling epic forts.
The down side is that merchants have further to travel, so are more likely to be cut down by goblins and their ilk.

Free stuff! Im not one to trade in df very often
Adapted to the caves

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

It plays interestingly. Your entire fortress basically becomes... Well, it's odd. It's like having a huge road. In fact, a road is the easiest megaconstruction to make. In one direction, it feels cramped. In the other direction, it feels infinite. Even so, I tended to wind up building down instead of out.
    I had a tiny world once where I made a large number of these forts across the map, to link them together. I had to use the embark anywhere utility to get it to work right, though. (also, I never managed to reach it in adv. mode. kept dying.)

I usually play 4x4.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 10:32:23 am »

3x3, or 4x4 if I'm feeling fancy. Dwarves really don't need that much room, and I like designing my fort with efficiency in mind.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »

I'm doing a 4x4 right now, but my fort easily fits into a 3x3 (they always do). To me, the point of a larger embark is just to give the fort some context.

I wish I could set invaders and merchants to only come in from the N and E sides... s'pose I could wall off the edges a bit.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »

I usually play 3x3 or 2x2.  My forts tend to be very compact and vertical.  I stopped doing large embarks because I don't know what to do with all that horizontal space, plus my computer is getting old.  I also tend to reduce the caverns to one and pick a shallow embark.  My forts rarely exist on more than 7 z-levels anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3