Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning bridge trap?  (Read 771 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning bridge trap?
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »

Has anyone ever set a lignite bridge on fire?  Do they degrade slowly like lignite furniture that is on fire, or do they last forever?  Or do they just not burn at all?

Trying to invent something new for my current fort.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

the_donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burning bridge trap?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:39:37 pm »

Do it and tell us?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:42:21 pm »

Lignite/coke/bituminous coal bridges, roads, and trade depots all burn slowly. You won't able to convince the traders to use the depot in 0.34.11 due to the improved fire pathfinding.

EDIT: it makes for a nice BBQ pit bottom to drop goblins into.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:34 am »

I could be completely wrong, but last I checked the only thing that burned indefinitely was flammable(coke, lignite, etc) things in a bin which would itself not be destroyed by fire.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:26:04 am »

Hmm... do the bridges remain burning when they change state (up/down)?  Could make for some funny traps... trap a siege between two walls of fire. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:41:02 am »

Do it and tell us?

Aye, yes, !!Science!! will be performed, but it's usually better to learn from other people's mistakes before I make them :)

I think I'll just build something tried and true for this fort (It's going to be the basis for a 48 hour turn community "blitz" game)

When I'm to the point where I'm done with the save for the community game I'll do some lignite bridge !!science!!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:05:44 am »

You should be able to make an otherwise non-flammable bridge burn indefinitely (or until it gets wet) by installing an artifact mechanism made of flammable rock. You can get one somewhat easily by training non-moodable dwarfs in mechanics and manipulating available stone.

Two things to remember, though: currently creatures refuse to path through tiles that will burn them, and only the center tile of a bridge counts for temperature purposes. Standing on the edge of a large burning bridge does nothing.

Shame I never was able to get my burning bridge trap completed the time my civ was called "The Coal of Murdering".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:07:17 am by QuantumMenace »

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:04 am »

Quick,somebody make a burning dwarf pet catapult with bridges for when the Elven traders come!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:56:01 am »

Someone did manage to make a ramp that set trader wagon's on fire on the way down, but not on the way up, i think, because the wagon clips the terrain based on the location of the animal pulling it, and there was magma behind the ramp.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »

A whole new meaning to burn your bridges behind you lol  :P
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.