Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Galactica: A Space Simulation  (Read 4735 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Galactica: A Space Simulation
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:15 am »

Sorry but this keep happening point his username do you see a r?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:21:37 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »

Alright. I should be ready.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:32 pm »

Sorry for the late replies, found this awesome webcomic and have been archive-binging. I'll read over everything now
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012, 01:34:05 pm »

Name of webcomic?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

Darken.

Anywho, a simple teleporter isn't 2 slots, and javier made a good case that only his largest ships would be able to create a gravity well strong enough to do more than swat projectiles, but I am watching that(by which I mean if you have anything less than battleships try to alter trajectories of things like other ships, I'll come down on you like a ton of bricks!), so it's only one slot...for now. Other than that Wierdsound, you don't HAVE to RP your ships doing asteroid mining(the tech in general would give a slight industry bonus), but you can if you want.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »

Read that one 3-4 years ago petty good drows and a demon possessed human or demon who look human can't remember which.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2012, 01:50:01 pm »

Alrighty, can I get everyone to post an up-to-date list of all their tech and ships so I can work on final approval? I'd like to get this started before the next ice age!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

Spoiler: overall (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:13:04 pm by scapheap »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »

Mine should be alright. Though I fear I have done something stupid. (My laser gravidar is quite probably blocked by the shields, and even if it wasn't, I probably can't relay the data to the fighters. But I wasn't planning to use the shields constantly, but rather pulse them when there's a lot of missiles around, and turn them to a minimum in normal combat situations).

Just one question, how short is the close range teleporters range. 1 km, 20, 100, 1000 ... . Also, can it teleport through the athmosphere (landing invasion fleets), or would that be blocked by the ionosphere.

Race:Cr'tak
Empire size: Small
Description: The Cr'tak are a insectoid/reptiloid race. They're a bit larger than humans, move on six legs and posses a "strong" exoskeleton. They also posses 2 manipulative appendages, and are egg layers. They live in a traditionall hive society, though there's no real hivemind. Each Cr'tak has it's own will, though no real sense of self, meaning that it will gladly sacrifice itself for the greater good. With an average lifetime of 150 years, and a rather fast reproduction, their only limit on population size is the environement they life in. Their home planet, as well as their three colonies all orbit the same brown star, leading to temperatures far below freezing above ground. The Cr'tak, being a cold blooded species, have evolved and live in hives build on geothermal hotspots, though recently their technology has allowed them to colonize the rest of their planet.

Spoiler: Home system (click to show/hide)

Military Technology:
     - Annihilation warhead: Large and slow missile based on the annihilation reactor. Has an enormous amount of firepower, but is easy to disable. Originally developped to intercept asteroids.
     - Particle weaponry: Cr'tok primary weapon system consists out of a large particle arcelerator capable of firing a variety of particles, varying from a small cutting beam to an ion cloud that jams missiles and electronical systems.
     - Laser detection system: Long range high accuracy, high maintenance detection system: This system works by bouncing lasers between various ships, or planets to detect gravitational disturbances, or just detect something flying in between the lasers. It requires large amounts of processing power to function, but easily allows them to detect far our objects. (And pinpoint their location exactly) Accuracy increases tremendously the closer the object gets, but identifications based on a grav signal is hard. For now, the only functioning system is HomeSat system, which utilizes large amounts of sattelites and ground based computing systems
     - Magnetical Ion particle shield. Uses a large amount of power to shield the ship in a cloud of charged elementary particles. This obscures the ship, and shields it from missiles(jams targetting and detonation) as well as lasers (diffuses them) but is worthless against other weaponry. Also gives of lots of electromagnetical radiation, making it very easy to notice and target the ship
     - Anihillation point defense laser: Kinda what it says    (Feel free to scrap these)

Ground troops:
     -Completely sealed vehicles. These are actually converted space vehicles. You could say that this just atmo capability for fighters up to Frigates.

Civilian technology:
     -Neutron beam annihilation reactors: (These are large and powerfull reactors, utilizing a strong particle beam created by specialized nuclear power reactors to completely fission away nuclear material. This reaction is very productive, though produces a large amount of heat and radiation, making the facility large and complicated)
     -Cryo: The fact that the Cr'tak are naturally cold blooded makes the process of freezing in and defrosting them much easier. Sadly, this cryo is not 100%, the people frozen are still living, though they age at 1/10 the normal speed.
     -Sealed mass habitats: The Cr'tak live mostly in completely sealed of multi million underground facilities, powered by geothermal and nuclear power.

Spoiler: The fleet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:04:14 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2012, 02:01:12 pm »

Hmm, just a general reminder that hangers cost 2 slots per hanger and only hold 1 wing, so make sure you're tallying those costs correctly!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »

Race: Klamor
Empire Size: Small

An experimental race bred for combat that combines both carbon and silicon based biology. Although resourceful, intelligent, and somewhat adaptable the Klamor were deemed failures and abandoned in an uninhabited system by the race that created them for several reasons: Their complicated bodies rendered them vulnerable to both biological warfare and hacking. Reproduction for the Klamor was also a pain the the ass, requiring 3-7 consenting adults and a good amount of industrial man-hours to create their young.

The Klamor conceal their vital bits behind a layer of powerful synthetic armor. They vary in size and shape greatly, but the vast majority are 8 foot tall humanoids. Smaller Klamor are produced for situations where mobility or tact might be important, and larger Klamor are born with treads or thrusters to serve as tanks or fighters.

As a proud warrior race the Klamor are almost exclusively soldiers. Non-living machines deal with most menial tasks, and those filling non-combat roles that require true sentience (research, politics, ect) are treated as second class citizens.

Military Tech:
-Short Range Teleport (For boarding)
-Light Distortion Field (Messes with Lasers and most forms of electromagnetic tracking)
-Composite Armor
-Interceptor Missile (Deals with incoming fighters or larger missiles. Too small to do real damage to proper ships)
-Tractor Beam
-Infantry Rail-guns

General Tech:
-Economic Robots
-Astro-Mining (Ships can be equipped to harvest asteroids)
-Cybernetics (As a cyborg race, this is basically used for medicine, and creating offspring designed to fit any given situation.)

Fleet:
Abandonment (Battleship)
-4 Slots of Basic Lasers
-3 Slots of Interceptor Missiles
-1 Slot Crew Teleporter
-1 Slot Composite Armor
-1 Slot Light Distortion Field
-2 Slots Tractor Beam (You mentioned somebody else's tech for moving things around in space was two slots)
Atonement (Battleship)
-4 Slots of Basic Lasers
-3 Slots of Interceptor Missiles
-1 Slot Crew Teleporter
-1 Slot Composite Armor
-1 Slot Light Distortion Field
-2 Slots Tractor Beam (You mentioned somebody else's tech for moving things around in space was two slots)

Infantry Flavor/Style: The Klamor prefer to use their huge size and composite armor to waltz into melee range and slaughter their foes with chainsaws, bludgeons, blades, and other built in melee weapons. Klamor specifically designed for military purpose tend to carry rail-guns that other races could would have to mount to use. (See tech)

Starting Situation: All colonies in home system.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »

Alright, before I get reading, I've updated the industry tab in the OP with starting industry and how to gain industry and wealth. As for the costs to build something, I'll decide than when you tell me what you want to build.

Edit: 10ebbor, yeah you'd need to do a bit of research to be able to teleport down to a planet, but as for your question, I'd say if you spend a turn along the lines of "I close to teleport range!" you're golden. In general, if you designate something a short-range weapon, as long as you spend a turn closing the range in one way or the other, I'm not going to get specific about the range of weaponry.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:40:19 pm by tryrar »

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »

Wait list please
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »

Race:Moknaoyep - a race of intelligent mobile plants which reproduce rather quickly, leading to large populations
Tech-
  -Military:  Light refractive Armor (Bends lasers around armor),Gravity Well( temporarily creates a strong gravity field), Magnetic shield generator(shields)
  -General: Artificial Intelligence(whether to run a city or pilot a ship, machines are always better)
Military
  -1 Battle ship
     2 Beta Grav Well Launchers(4)
     Em shield(1)
     Refractive Armor(.5)
     5 Basic lasers(2.5)
     8 Basic Missile launchers
  -1BattleCruiser(carrier)
     Carrier Bay(?)
     Em shield(1)
     Refractive armor(.5)
  -4 Frigates