Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Galactica: A Space Simulation  (Read 4736 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Galactica: A Space Simulation
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:02:31 pm »

Well, here's my first attempt at a game, and I decided to do a galactic empire simulation! Here's how it works: Your civilization has discovered this(for those who can't be bothered to follow the link, a scientifically backed warp drive), and an age of exploration has begun, leading to the first few colonies and star exploration. But, you aren't the only one in the galaxy, and it is up to you how you interact with your neighbors; are you an all conquering empire, a peaceful confederation, or something in-between?

Spoiler: Empires (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Any questions you have, please feel free to ask! Like I said, this is my first attempt at a game and I'd appreciate and feedback.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:29:04 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactica: A Space Simulation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »

Players:
Spoiler: Javierpwn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wierdsound (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scrapheap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mesor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 10ebbor10 (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:criptfeind, evilcherry, kashyyk, kopout.

Whew, finally got this updated! (Those with palceholders I still need a couple things from you, and this is not finalized yet!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:59:08 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:40:43 pm »

Race:Moknaoyep - a race of intelligent mobile plants which reproduce rather quickly, leading to large populations
Tech-
  -Military:  Light refractive Armor (Bends lasers around armor),Gravity Well( temporarily creates a strong gravity field), Magnetic shield generator(shields)
  -General: Artificial Intelligence(whether to run a city or pilot a ship, machines are always better)
Military
  -1 Battle ship
     2 Beta Grav Well Launchers(4)
     Em shield(1)
     Refractive Armor(.5)
     5 Basic lasers(2.5)
     8 Basic Missile launchers
  -1BattleCruiser(carrier)
     Carrier Bay(?)
     Em shield(1)
     Refractive armor(.5)
  -4 Frigates
    Em shield(1)
    2Alpha Grav well Launcher(2)
    Refractive armor(.5)
    1 missile Launcher(.5)
  -2 Cruisers
    1 Beta Grav well Launcher(2)
    2 Alpha Grav well Launcher(2)
    Em shield generator(1)
    Refractive armor(.5)
    3 Basic Lasers(1.5)
    4 Basic Missile Launchers(2)
  -3 Fighter wings
    Refractive Armor(.5)
    1 Basic laser(.5)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:53:35 pm by javierpwn »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »

Ok, that sounds good, but can you also add a small description for your techs? Also, sounds like you're going for large empire, please note that just so I'm clear on that

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »

I'll post a sheet soon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:57 am »

Race: Klamor
Empire Size: Small

An experimental race bred for combat that combines both carbon and silicon based biology. Although resourceful, intelligent, and somewhat adaptable the Klamor were deemed failures and abandoned in an uninhabited system by the race that created them for several reasons: Their complicated bodies rendered them vulnerable to both biological warfare and hacking. Reproduction for the Klamor was also a pain the the ass, requiring 3-7 consenting adults and a good amount of industrial man-hours to create their young.

The Klamor conceal their vital bits behind a layer of powerful synthetic armor. They vary in size and shape greatly, but the vast majority are 8 foot tall humanoids. Smaller Klamor are produced for situations where mobility or tact might be important, and larger Klamor are born with treads or thrusters to serve as tanks or fighters.

As a proud warrior race the Klamor are almost exclusively soldiers. Non-living machines deal with most menial tasks, and those filling non-combat roles that require true sentience (research, politics, ect) are treated as second class citizens.

Military Tech:
-Short Range Teleport (For boarding)
-Light Distortion Field (Messes with Lasers and most forms of electromagnetic tracking)
-Composite Armor
-Interceptor Missile (Deals with incoming fighters or larger missiles. Too small to do real damage to proper ships)
-Tractor Beam
-Infantry Rail-guns

General Tech:
-Economic Robots
-Astro-Mining (Ships can be equipped to harvest asteroids)
-Cybernetics (As a cyborg race, this is basically used for medicine, and creating offspring designed to fit any given situation.)

Fleet:
Abandonment (Battleship)
-4 Slots of Basic Lasers
-3 Slots of Interceptor Missiles
-1 Slot Crew Teleporter
-1 Slot Composite Armor
-1 Slot Light Distortion Field
-2 Slots Tractor Beam (You mentioned somebody else's tech for moving things around in space was two slots)
Atonement (Battleship)
-4 Slots of Basic Lasers
-3 Slots of Interceptor Missiles
-1 Slot Crew Teleporter
-1 Slot Composite Armor
-1 Slot Light Distortion Field
-2 Slots Tractor Beam (You mentioned somebody else's tech for moving things around in space was two slots)

Infantry Flavor/Style: The Klamor prefer to use their huge size and composite armor to waltz into melee range and slaughter their foes with chainsaws, bludgeons, blades, and other built in melee weapons. Klamor specifically designed for military purpose tend to carry rail-guns that other races could would have to mount to use. (See tech)

Starting Situation: All colonies in home system.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:19:15 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:36:12 am »

Race: Asomin
Smallish creatures, like reddish crabs with arms instead of claws. Asomin are native to Asom, a small world which is desert except around the mountains and oceans. Asomin only live in damp areas, so until widespread irrigation and terraforming became possible recently they were confined to three smallish habitable regions and one puny region of highlands near the equator.
Once they were connected by basic irrigation, a period of swift technological development occurred. The three main regions of habitation became three warring states, sending armies accompanied by massive water tanks to avoid dehydration to each other to battle over swathes of desert and near-desert. Finally, the Highlanders (who remained peaceful to all three nations and traded with them) created several technoloical developments: Computing, space flight, and a small base on one of the larger tiny bodies orbiting in a few "rings" around Asom. Asomin of the three nations quickly moved against the Highlanders in fear, but they used their advanced robots and bombers against the nations' primitive automobiles and Gatling-esque machine guns combined with natural terrain advantages and the lack of fresh water aside from the highlands' springs to survive. Eventually, they decided to simply destroy the enemies, proving they could by dropping a fission warhead onto a small island within sight distance of territories of all three nations. The nations surrendered; the Highlanders, fearing rebellion, ruled justly and well. Recently, they developed interstellar travel to supplement their impressive arsenal of technology and efficient industry.

Tech:
Military--Advanced Armor, Electromagnetic Fields1, Heat Displacement2, Meson Beams3
Civilian: AI,  Efficient Industry, Quantum-Entanglement Communications4, Supercomputing
1Force fields
2Space Stealth
3Like the Traveller version--armor-ignoring beam weapons
4Ansible, kinda

I'll make sure this is all OK before moving on. Small empire, all in one heavily-colonized system.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:55 am »

No ships? You could be easily taken over

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:04:28 am »

Oh, this looks interesting. How 'realistic' should our techs be? Like, biotech, psionic, ect? Or only more sciency stuff with robots and lasers?

At anyrate, it looks interesting, and if there is still room I will starting getting together a race right now.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:26 am »

Reserved.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:32 am »

Im in.

Race : Larenthian.
Empire size : Small, all in 1 system.
Description : Larenthians are smaller then your average human but built a lot bulkier, they are highly intelligent and fanatically loyal to the Larenthian empire.
They are slightly xenophobic but have been known to make exceptions for those who bring something exceptional to offer to them and have small colonies ( 200-300 people ) of outsiders who were granted sanctuary.
They are also heavily militaristic and value personal honor very highly.

Military tech.

Stealth capability. ( A small device on board any ship, from fighters to capitol ships capable of rendering it invisible to all forms of tracking. )

High tech construction. ( All unit costs on all ship classes reduced by 50% )

High tech fighters. ( Multiple variants of advanced fighter craft. )

Energy shields. ( A special generator on board every ship powers a set of shields, the larger the ship the more powerful the shields. )

Advanced point defense weapons. ( High speed laser weaponry. )

Infantry : Hover tanks. ( Carries 4 people 1 pilot, 1 to operate the main weapons, 2 to operate side mounted medium yield rapid fire energy turrets.
Each platoon of my forces consists of 50 men and 5 tanks. )

Civilians.

Multi purpose robots. ( Can be retrofitted swiftly for any civilian purpose. )

Cloning/genetics. ( Capable of growing a full grown larenthian in 1 week and then halting the advanced growth and altering larenthians on a genetic level to do anything from make them immune to disease right up to super soldier levels of strength and speed, 2 tech points assumed. )

Fleet.
Super carrier : Larenthian Abyss.
4 advanced fighter wings.
4 bomber wings.
2 interceptor wings.

Spoiler: fleet variants (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:40:26 pm by mesor »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:16 am »

Reserve, depending on how much players you want to start with. I don't suggest going with more than 6.

Race:Cr'tak
Empire size: Small
Description: The Cr'tak are a insectoid/reptiloid race. They're a bit larger than humans, move on six legs and posses a "strong" exoskeleton. They also posses 2 manipulative appendages, and are egg layers. They live in a traditionall hive society, though there's no real hivemind. Each Cr'tak has it's own will, though no real sense of self, meaning that it will gladly sacrifice itself for the greater good. With an average lifetime of 150 years, and a rather fast reproduction, their only limit on population size is the environement they life in. Their home planet, as well as their three colonies all orbit the same brown star, leading to temperatures far below freezing above ground. The Cr'tak, being a cold blooded species, have evolved and live in hives build on geothermal hotspots, though recently their technology has allowed them to colonize the rest of their planet.

Spoiler: Home system (click to show/hide)

Military Technology:
     - Annihilation warhead: Large and slow missile based on the annihilation reactor. Has an enormous amount of firepower, but is easy to disable. Originally developped to intercept asteroids.
     - Particle weaponry: Cr'tok primary weapon system consists out of a large particle arcelerator capable of firing a variety of particles, varying from a small cutting beam to an ion cloud that jams missiles and electronical systems.
     - Laser detection system: Long range high accuracy, high maintenance detection system: This system works by bouncing lasers between various ships, or planets to detect gravitational disturbances, or just detect something flying in between the lasers. It requires large amounts of processing power to function, but easily allows them to detect far our objects. (And pinpoint their location exactly) Accuracy increases tremendously the closer the object gets, but identifications based on a grav signal is hard. For now, the only functioning system is HomeSat system, which utilizes large amounts of sattelites and ground based computing systems
     - Magnetical Ion particle shield. Uses a large amount of power to shield the ship in a cloud of charged elementary particles. This obscures the ship, and shields it from missiles(jams targetting and detonation) as well as lasers (diffuses them) but is worthless against other weaponry. Also gives of lots of electromagnetical radiation, making it very easy to notice and target the ship
     - Anihillation point defense laser: Kinda what it says    (Feel free to scrap these)
     - Nuclear drive system: Not an Orion drive. Instead a drive that dumps hydrogen through an active reactor to turn it into plasma.    (feel free to scrap these, as I expect the above to use multiple points)
Ground troops:
     -Completely sealed vehicles. Focusing on air support.

Civilian technology:
     -Neutron beam annihilation reactors: (These are large and powerfull reactors, utilizing a strong particle beam created by specialized nuclear power reactors to completely fission away nuclear material. This reaction is very productive, though produces a large amount of heat and radiation, making the facility large and complicated)
     -Cryo: The fact that the Cr'tak are naturally cold blooded makes the process of freezing in and defrosting them much easier. Sadly, this cryo is not 100%, the people frozen are still living, though they age at 1/10 the normal speed.
     -Sealed mass habitats: The Cr'tak live mostly in completely sealed of multi million underground facilities, powered by geothermal and nuclear power.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:49:59 am by 10ebbor10 »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:07:14 am »

I'll have a go

character empire now

Race: Cains a race of giant spiders with a cannibalism culture with a high birth rate leading to a average population.
Tech: military- 8 points clamp (for boarding, hard to dislodge) flack cannons (antimissile) improve engines (ships are faster) spider tanks (ground units good on drier planets bad on wet ones)
general- cannibalism (Cains food need are lower) miner tools (faster Wealth Points gain on dry planets)
Ships: 1 Battle ship (Carrier)
           1 Cruiser
           2 Destroyers
           2 Frigates
           5 Fighter wings
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:40:36 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:31 am »

No ships? You could be easily taken over
I was waiting on approval of the techs and such, letting me know which ones are worth multiple points and stuff.
Are they fine? Am I correct in assuming a couple are worth two points or can I choose two more?
Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:43 am »

Whew, lots to look over! I'll get back to you guys in a minute...

One thing though, I had a typo for tech, average empires only get 2 general
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:08:47 am by tryrar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7