Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with war.  (Read 1111 times)

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with war.
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »

I have two races that i wish could sometimes fight. I have tried to make the right ethics for each other but there has never been a war between those two. Goblins elves and dwarfs go to war with them but they never fight each other. Do you know what i am doing wrong?
Anyway here are the ethics:
Race 1
[INVADERS_IGNORE_NEUTRALS]
   [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_EXILE]
   [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:LYING:PERSONAL_MATTER]
   [ETHIC:VANDALISM:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:TRESPASSING:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:THEFT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:ASSAULT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:PERSONAL_MATTER]
Race 2
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:MISGUIDED]
   [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:APPALLING]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:LYING:PERSONAL_MATTER]
   [ETHIC:VANDALISM:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:TRESPASSING:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:THEFT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:ASSAULT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:APPALLING]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:04:07 pm by mangulwort »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with war.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:28:59 am »

A work around if you want a permanent conflict is to replace [INTELLIGENT] with just [CAN_LEARN] so that they won't be able to send someone to make peace because technically they can't speak. No thieves, no snatchers, and they still come at you. A war that starts between that group and say, dwarves or goblins will last until oneside destroyes the other completely. Ethics in my expierience only increase the likely hood of wars happening, but don't guarentee them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:08 am »

Ethics has a large effect on whether or not a war occurs, but several other factors (namely the "strength" and size of the various civilizations involved) play a major factor as well. As such it's fully possible to end up with two races that never go to war because one of them is much stronger then the other by default. A nice work around was listed by Splint, though keep in mind that that will make them wage war on all other races, not just the one that you specifically want them to fight.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:05:17 pm »

Does that mean races need space for other races to go to war? Chould someone tell me the things that make races go to war with each other?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »

One thing I know for certain is regular ol' maneating tends to spark off wars rather often. Not sure about other ethics.

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:32:50 am »

I generated a world that had no baby snatchers and when i checked legends mode they faught each other constantly. I guess in dwarf fortress only a certain number of wars can happen at once. Without goblins to worry about my races relized how much they hated each other  :o .

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »

Babysnatching is more an autohostilate than anything. Plus goblin/snatcher ethics are pretty.... Relaxed, which can help kick off wars with them even without the snatching. I would imagine humans dwarves and elves would fight more often though. Probably over territory, uncalled for short jokes, and plants.

Reminds me of my want for genning a world where I'm at war with elves.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »

Strange.

Those ethics should cause the two races to almost always be at war with each other.
I have a 6 month old mod where a race of intelligent chicken and cats often wage war against each other despite having very similar ethics, so races can wage war for less than extreme opposite ethics.

i2amroy may be right, try increasing population numbers for either race so that they spread more around worldgen, the numbers and control of territory coupled with the different ethics should cause war between the two.
I don't think that the actual creature size and strength matters, I don't remember if DF worldgen calculated wars based on the number of units or individual strength, but I am pretty sure that numbers > everything.

Alternatively you can just give either babysnatcher and the civ with the tag will be automatically hostile against all civs without it, and civs who have it will be allied.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »

I don't think that the actual creature size and strength matters, I don't remember if DF worldgen calculated wars based on the number of units or individual strength, but I am pretty sure that numbers > everything.
For strength I was referring to things like if a megabeast or demon was leading a civilization (which does have an effect), sorry about not being too clear on that one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »

For strength I was referring to things like if a megabeast or demon was leading a civilization (which does have an effect), sorry about not being too clear on that one.

It does?
That's interesting.
How does megabeast/demon leadership affect faction strength in wars?
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange