Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long before the next release?  (Read 1443 times)

sisso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long before the next release?
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:30 am »

I've played DF for few years, I follow the development and time to time I take a look in the forum. But I never have the slightest idea when the next release will come out. I know it will be ready, when it's ready. But it's frustrating not knowing if it will be tomorrow or in 6 months.

Could someone closest to development update the wiki with possible release date?
Ex: Release in next few days, or some weeks, or probably 2 months.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: How long before the next release?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

I'd put a release between this month and February. If dwarf fortresses get wrapped up in the next few days, then its kobold caves and succession, then it gets released.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »

Ahh, but Toady still has to make everything work together...that could take a while.

I just wrote in the Future of the Fortress that I predicted four to six months, but I think that's a bit much, now. Today is Saturday, so let's say Toady takes until Friday to finish up dwarven fortresses. Kobolds are a simple civilization, so I suspect their sites will take no more than three or four days, certainly not a full week. Succession sounds difficult, but it's really just a matter of making the code move historical figures into the right slots, so give that a week, and then maybe another two weeks for odds and ends. Then a month at the end. So...Valentine's Day again?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »

December 21st, obviously.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »

Woah............MAYBE.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »

The optimist in me says February.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »

Nah, that's when the circus gets breached.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

I'm basically telling myself to expect it "between Christmas and Easter". But I wish it were today. ;^)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »

Nah, that's when the circus gets breached.

:D

The real answer is not soon enough.  Every fort I'm starting now when I channel out my moat I'm thinking how much cooler it will be if the drawbridge were overshadowed by a great oak.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:07:53 am »

December 21st is when DF becomes sentient and dominates the world, extinguishing all life. In other words: fun.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:06 am »

Woah............MAYBE.

Holy shit... a surprise release of a fully-finished DF 1.0 comes out on December 21st, everyone in the world quickly becomes engrossed in it, people quit their jobs, the social order breaks down... the world ends  :o
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."