Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Running an old game in Windows 7  (Read 11458 times)

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
Re: Running an old game in Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 07:06:16 am »

Alt+Tab caused instability at best, and wasn't a permanent fix.  Killing explorer with a .bat file was the only way to get it to work.  Just be sure you have an easily-accessible (not through Explorer) way to regen Explorer.exe.
NKAWTG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

ctrl-alt-del -> task manager -> new process

should work in all cases. if you can't get task manager up, that's not a good sign.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:31 pm »

Alt+Tab caused instability at best, and wasn't a permanent fix.  Killing explorer with a .bat file was the only way to get it to work.  Just be sure you have an easily-accessible (not through Explorer) way to regen Explorer.exe.

Just make the .bat relaunch explorer.exe when you're done.

Code: [Select]
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
[path to the game executable]
start explorer.exe
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:39:12 am »

Yes, I use DosBox for Dos games of course, but there are plenty of games written for Windows (which don't work on DB) which are no longer supported by windows. In this case, Oregon Trail 1.2 seemed to be one of them, although fortunately it turns out it's only the installer that's not compatible and I'm still able to run the game.
You can install Windows 3.1 in dosbox, it's one way to run some seriously old Windows games.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:40:50 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 [2]