Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marksdwarves with invisible crossbows  (Read 1064 times)

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
marksdwarves with invisible crossbows
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:05 am »

I have a group of hunters who are also Marksdwarves in a single squad of 8.
I just stationed them around a pit with a bunch of captured trogs in it.
I kicked back and waited for the carnage.  Instead, nothing
I check the inventory for the marksdwarves... they all have all their equipment, except for crossbows!!?
I checked military and they're supposed to have "choice ranged".  I add crossbow to it.
They all run off, and then run back to the pit, but nobody has a crossbow in their inventory.  I check the military screen and supposedly they all do.

What gives??

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: marksdwarves with invisible crossbows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:30 am »

The green check mark in the Equipment screen just means that the dwarf has claimed that item... not that they are actually in possession of it. It's tricky in a lot of ways: You may think your new recruit is wearing a *Steel Helm* when he's actually only got a -turkey leather cap-, and next time he gets beaned in the head with a falling rat corpse you'll lose a soldier to tragedy, which is a -10 unhappy thought to the Overseer.

I'd recommend removing "individual choice, ranged" from the uniform. You might be having some sort of equipment conflict with two weapons assigned at the same time.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:40:41 am »

that didn't seem to do it.  I"m going to try stripping the entire uniform off them and then put it back on...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:50:37 am »

You can equip many weapons and have no trouble at all. Do they have enough backpacks though? If they don't they probably can store all the items they need to carry. Also quivers might be an issue, although less likely. Quivers are usually the cause of no ammo, weapons not being carried is mostly a backpack issue.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:56:24 am »

I thought backpacks were only for carrying food. Weapons should be held in the hands.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:52 am »

i thought backpacks were for food, too
in any event, they have backpacks and quivers and every time i move/cancel them, they dump a pile of food and bolts on the floor, so that's not it.  i can see them in their inventory, too.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:21:32 am »

Didn't hunters have unchangeable uniforms? Try turning off the crossbowdwarves' hunting labour and see if it helps.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:12:26 am »

Never have hunters who double up as soldiers. Things like this happen. For the same reason, don't let woodcutters and miners be soldiers either - turn off those labours before making them soldiers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »

i thought backpacks were for food, too
in any event, they have backpacks and quivers and every time i move/cancel them, they dump a pile of food and bolts on the floor, so that's not it.  i can see them in their inventory, too.

Backpacks are used to store food, but unless adventure mode is misleading, you can't switch out items held in your hands, or hold multiple swords at once, or really manage items at all without a backpack.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 05:31:20 am »

I wish I could ban hats in my fortress. They could wear uniform over own clothing and I wouldn't have to imagine what I imagine when I equip them with only breastplate, low boots and a metal cap.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:24:33 am »

I wish I could ban hats in my fortress. They could wear uniform over own clothing and I wouldn't have to imagine what I imagine when I equip them with only breastplate, low boots and a metal cap.

"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."