Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Hunting Working Yet?  (Read 1436 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Is Hunting Working Yet?
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:23 am »

I remember when I tried hunting many, many fortresses ago the dwarf population would basically hunt the local wildlife to extinction and then no new animals would come... Ever...

Does this still happen or does the game send new animals now?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Hunting Working Yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:23 am »

It still happens. Animals enter the map in groups; if you kill the entire group, it permanently reduces the population, eventually leading to extinction. However if at least one of the group escapes the map, it doesn't have an overall effect. So it might be best to only allow one or two people to hunt at a time. If you're really worried about depopulation, disallow hunting completely and use military kill commands. Just be certain to only target a few of the animals and you'll be fine.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:59:30 am »

However if at least one of the group escapes the map, it doesn't have an overall effect.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way - the animals may enter in groups, but they are all individually linked to a creature population.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:47 am »

However if at least one of the group escapes the map, it doesn't have an overall effect.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way - the animals may enter in groups, but they are all individually linked to a creature population.

This. Even if the group survives, they don't breed after world gen unless you're the one breeding them, so eventually you could make them extinct.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:46:03 am »

Is that a new feature? ie, did animals coming on map used to be generated out of the ether, like migrants? I could have sworn I've heard the group thing somewhere.
Though, maybe I'm just misremembering.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »

Is that a new feature? ie, did animals coming on map used to be generated out of the ether, like migrants? I could have sworn I've heard the group thing somewhere.
Though, maybe I'm just misremembering.
Misremembering probably.

Personally my way of dealing with this has always been to capture wild animals and then release them into a pit (without ever taming them). Assuming the animals are capable of breeding they should then eventually have children, which you can release back into the wild to increase the population. Or you can always just catch wild animals, tame them, and then breed them for whatever meat supplies you want without hunting at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:07 pm »

You know what the worst part is?They hunt everything and instead of hauling the corpses they go eat/sleep/drink EVERY TIME.
And they never go outside to reclaim the prizes thus miasma and rotting corpses occur.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

You know what the worst part is?They hunt everything and instead of hauling the corpses they go eat/sleep/drink EVERY TIME.
And they never go outside to reclaim the prizes thus miasma and rotting corpses occur.

Have you orders set to "dwarfs gather refuse from outside"?

As far as animal extinction goes, I still get wildlife after 30+ years of hunting, except in one cavern layer where nothing has shown up in recent years.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:52:53 am »

I think the caverns are all individual biomes and even if you drive everything on the surface extinct (which with all the new animals added in the last few years, is fairly epic in itself) you can always move down to cavern 1, repeat, cavern 2, repeat and so on and so forth until you are hunting in *spoiler*
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

Have you orders set to "dwarfs gather refuse from outside"?

As far as animal extinction goes, I still get wildlife after 30+ years of hunting, except in one cavern layer where nothing has shown up in recent years.

They do carry the stuff back but sometimes the hunter kills the thing,goes to drink or sleep or just have a damn party in the corpse stockpile and drops the corpse midway or never picks it up

And it seems only the hunter can carry his game for some reason,so if it drops it stays there.
Ive tried forbbiding and unforbidding,ive tried claiming it,told them to carry any corpses and stuff but still the animal was still staying there...rotting to hell.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:41 am »

And it seems only the hunter can carry his game for some reason,so if it drops it stays there.
Ive tried forbbiding and unforbidding,ive tried claiming it,told them to carry any corpses and stuff but still the animal was still staying there...rotting to hell.
In this case, maybe DFHack/cleanowned could help (never tried it myself)?