Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with adding new materials into the game.  (Read 1500 times)

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with adding new materials into the game.
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:43:26 pm »

I have just started with editing the raws of metals, now weapons and armour are capable of being made from Aluminium, Lead, Brass, etc. Thank you to all the dwarfs that helped, very much welcomed. :D

I would like to add Asbestos, it is to have similar properties to Adamantine, but that can only be used as cloth armour.

Also Depleted Uranium, it is to be approximately twice the weight of gold. It should make good spears, and maces. Perhaps modeled off the Slade raw.

Lighter-than-air metal, I do not know what value to set this at? It is based on Urlium from Thongor of Lemuria.

Rubber, this is a wood that has reduced impact damage. I would not know where to begin.

With Asbestos, I was thinking of copying Adamantine, and making it a cloth. Will this work?

Depleted Uranium, copying Gold and changing mass by twice the amount?

Urlium, what negative number can I give this? Is there a thread for this raw existing?

Rubber, is there a way to make materials less damaging?

Thank you for your time, I have quite a few questions, but thought I might start with these.

Thanks,
:D Snake_Eyes

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Help with adding new materials into the game.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »

Adamantine is already a cloth, so you're way ahead there.

I've already made Uranium in my science mod.

Materials can be made less damaging by... changing their raws. Check out the page on "weapon" in the wiki.

Lighter-than-air metal could be, say, 1 weight or something weird.

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:50 pm »

Adamantine is already a cloth, so you're way ahead there.

I've already made Uranium in my science mod.

Materials can be made less damaging by... changing their raws. Check out the page on "weapon" in the wiki.

Thanks Putnam I will check out your science mod, I had seen someone write it before, I think maybe it was you.

With Asbestos / Adamantine what would I have to change in the raws so that it was a common cloth randomly generated same as Rope-Weed?

So is 1 weight is that lighter than air?

I have a couple more questions also please,

I would like to make a non-conductive metal with identical properties to Nether Caps, can I just make it a metal?

Same again with Slade, making it a commonly occurring metal, do I need to remove tags as well as add them?

Tyvm
:) Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:58 pm »

Where can I find your Science Mod? The link in your sig had no file to download or raws to copy.

I have looked at the wiki on modding, it is just that I am new enough to be asking some basic questions sorry, I am sure Ill get the hang of it soon.

Thanks for all your help,

nvm I found it, it was the big yellow sign Download! :/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:06:57 pm by Snake_Eyes »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:08 pm »

Say, how do you define a powder specifically? Can you make a powder made of a certain metal, or do you just have to make a dummy powder using tokens from flour or something?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:55 pm »

You can make specific types of powder (As well as ask for them in reactions) as long as you work the bags and units properly.

For example, my gunpowder making reaction;

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_GUNPOWDER]
[NAME:make gunpowder from coal and (4) potash]
[BUILDING:GRINDER:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:B:450:BAR:NONE:POTASH:NONE]
[REAGENT:C:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[BAG]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:4:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:C]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

And here's the setup for consuming it in a reaction.

Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:gunpowder:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER]
[REAGENT:E:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:gunpowder]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:27 am »

Say, how do you define a powder specifically? Can you make a powder made of a certain metal, or do you just have to make a dummy powder using tokens from flour or something?

Powder is just ground up stuff. Heck, it's totally possible to make a reaction to grind random ores into smitham.

That sounds fun actually. The word smitham and the grinding into dust.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:08:26 am »

You can actually make it have a negative weight (i.e. "-10" or something similar). The game will treat it in all aspects as having a weight equivalent to zero though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 11:09:48 am »

Powder is just ground up stuff. Heck, it's totally possible to make a reaction to grind random ores into smitham.

That sounds fun actually. The word smitham and the grinding into dust.
I just noticed gold has a powder name in the raws, and I've been reworking a lot of old Creeper Cavern stuff (most of it was a mess) so I needed powder for redstone (redstone ore drops nodules of redstone mixed in with the rock, you use a new grinder workshop that doesn't require power like the screw press to mill it into powder, and the powder can be forged into mechanisms and almost all machine parts at another new workshop, and it's magma-safe). Glowstone would also probably need dust, but I don't think you can make a rock drop dust directly so that would probably also follow the path of grinding the ore into dust, melting the dust into ingots and forging the ingots again.
I have just started with editing the raws of metals, now weapons and armour are capable of being made from Aluminium, Lead, Brass, etc. Thank you to all the dwarfs that helped, very much welcomed. :D

I would like to add Asbestos, it is to have similar properties to Adamantine, but that can only be used as cloth armour.
Makes sense.
Also Depleted Uranium, it is to be approximately twice the weight of gold. It should make good spears, and maces. Perhaps modeled off the Slade raw.
Why does it make good spears, and how is it depleted in the first place? I'm wondering because usually, Depleted Uranium refers to uranium that has less of the isotope 235U in it than natural uranium, e.g. someone has centrifuged it out. To get depleted uranium specifically, you'd also need some way to enrich it which takes a lot of tech. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's pretty complicated to mod in all the stuff you need if you really want enriched uranium and not natural uranium.

Lighter-than-air metal, I do not know what value to set this at? It is based on Urlium from Thongor of Lemuria.
Don't think you can make a material that actually floats (density doesn't affect falling speed, I'm pretty sure). You could try assigning a negative value but I've never tried that.

Rubber, this is a wood that has reduced impact damage. I would not know where to begin.
Make a rubber tree, and then a rubber-refining workshop that converts rubber logs into rubber, then uses sulfur and fuel (maybe, I haven't done my homework on ruber) to galvanize the rubber and make it useful? But wood types, I think, don't have many properties you can add to them, so you may have to make rubber and galvanized rubber metal-type bars.

With Asbestos, I was thinking of copying Adamantine, and making it a cloth. Will this work?
Is there a strands token? You could add [WAFERS] to asbestos or something. I haven't looked at raw adamantine very much. But adamantine is already woven into cloth so perhaps you could just remove the method of turning strands into wafers, not sure how.

Depleted Uranium, copying Gold and changing mass by twice the amount?
But it will suck as a material due to gold's low yield values, and uranium has almost the same density as gold. If you want a dense metal, you could try osmium, iridium, or tungsten.

Urlium, what negative number can I give this? Is there a thread for this raw existing?
See before, don't think you can.

Rubber, is there a way to make materials less damaging?
Lower the MAX_EDGE and the density if you want less harmful weapons, and maybe also the yield values. You may have to make it less dense than in real life (the horror!) if you want to match the effectiveness of adamantine war-hammers.

Thank you for your time, I have quite a few questions, but thought I might start with these.

Thanks,
My wooden badge was delicious.

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »

Thanks Goombgeek, but I dont need to make any workshops it is for Adventure Mode only.

Thanks everyone,