Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress to be in the museum of Modern art  (Read 4232 times)

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress to be in the museum of Modern art
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:55:13 pm »

Hey, uh, so... this is a thing, apparently. Check out item 10 on that list, if the topic title wasn't transparent enough. Thoughts?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress to be in the museum of Modern art
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

My thoughts are.....
*head explodes*
This sounds really cool, and could really be a big step for DF to be recognized as the work of art that it is. Its going up the popularity chart, I can tell you that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:36:58 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »

They mention that the time and community elements boarder on EVE level of interplay, do you suppose they are referring to our communal epics such as Boatmurdered and other succession games?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »

Or that part where people got together and thought hard of the best way to genocide merpeople for their bones?
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »

Oh man, that's great news! DF was already part of the Talk To Me Exhibition in the MoMA in 2011, but this right here is way bigger!

I love how Dwarf Fortress is listed as a "gift of the designers". Congratulations to the generous!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:49:39 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »

They're all listed as gifts of their respective developpers. It's kinda the only way for a museum to showcase these things without breaking the EULA.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:59:30 pm »

I know, but it's still funny. If somebody asks me how I got Dwarf Fortress, I'll just say "Oh, it was a gift of the designers."
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:04:53 pm »

From the article:

Finally, some of the games we have acquired (for instance Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online) take years and millions of people to manifest fully. To convey their experience, we will work with players and designers to create guided tours of these alternate worlds, so the visitor can begin to appreciate the extent and possibilities of the complex gameplay.

So.. huh. This implies that Toady and members of the community may be directly involved in creating the exhibit. Seems like they're going about it the right way, at least. Most of the time the general public hears about a video game, it comes from someone that obviously does not play or understand the game themselves (i.e. stupid controversies about violence/sex in games). It's about time designers and players had the chance to publicly express what their games mean for the benefit of people who aren't gamers - say your average museum visitor.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:09:10 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:42 pm »

Most of the time the general public hears about a video game, it comes from someone that obviously does not play or understand the game themselves (i.e. stupid controversies about violence/sex in games).

When I heard that I could watch ASCII represented dwarfs make babies I was so on board.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:17 pm »

Is it just me, or did they just have a picture of a DF world?
They should so have had a screensaverey thing of a world being created, a fortress being built, etc, all abbreviated and on a loop.
...I now want a Dwarf Fortress screensaver like that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:48:12 am »

I like how they described dwarf fortress as "several painstaking years of bliss".

I can get "several drunken years of terror" or "the equivalent of several painstaking lobotomies", but "bliss"?

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:58 am »

I like how they described dwarf fortress as "several painstaking years of bliss".

I can get "several drunken years of terror" or "the equivalent of several painstaking lobotomies", but "bliss"?

More like several [ATTACK:(random attack type):(random bodypart)_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:(random thing)]

IS THERE A CREATURE THAT DOESN'T ATTACK THE OTHER CREATURE'S HEAD?I WANT TO SEE IT!

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 03:09:38 am »

Love the whole thing. DF alongside my childhood games, recognized in a way as fundamental game as SMB and others... Grats!

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:26:38 am »

This is great, always nice to see games being recognized as legitimate art. I feel that we're in a place right now very similar to the early days of cinema, where it was seen as gimmicky entertainment for the masses with no artistic value, something that would never be able to challenge the dominance of the true art forms like plays and books. Fucking bullshit of course, gaming is the largest creative industry in the world and has been for some time, whether you rate it by number of workers, cashflow, profits, market share, whatever. The idea that all the creative talent going isn't going to create that golden percentage of awesome art is ridiculous. Not that anyone here is arguing against games as art.

Anyway, when this is up and running (I'm guessing that it'll be more a "guided tour" of DF, with some let's play type stuff and maybe some of the better known succession forts like boatmurdered, since they seem keen on the whole "community created narratives" thing) I'm guessing there'll be an influx of highly educated art lovers (filtered on string by highly educated art lovers with a secret inner desire for horrific violence).

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

Pretty neat that Captain Duck is gonna do the guided tutorial for it too.
Pages: [1] 2