Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caffeine Addiction  (Read 2124 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Caffeine Addiction
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:03 am »

I think it's perfectly fine to drink coffee, can be even healthy. But I'd stay the hell away from energy drinks. Those things are bad news. Also, as others have said, watch out for dehydration. Your body uses water to process caffeine, so the more coffee you drink, the less hydrated you are. You might feel fine for now, but you can have some long-term effects from not staying hydrated, and not drinking enough fluids can also contribute to bad mood and lethargy which might push you to drink more caffeine than you would otherwise need.

Furthermore, it's against the law for an employer to not allow employees bathroom breaks. It's a health and safety issue. If you need to use the toilet and are in any way penalized for it, you can sue the company. I'm sure just threatening to do so would be enough to keep them off your back, especially if you work for a large company. Do not risk your health just to avoid annoying your boss! NOT worth it!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:57 am »

Also, as others have said, watch out for dehydration. Your body uses water to process caffeine, so the more coffee you drink, the less hydrated you are.
Wikipedia disagrees with you. (Last paragraph of that section.)

Few first results from Google scholar seem to support that notion too.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

Nothing addictive is healthy, if you take it too much. Caffeine is like a drug. Just swap the word "caffeine" with "cocaine" in Jimmy's posts and tell me if it still makes sense or not.

Anyway, I think this thread served it's purpose since Jimmy decided it wasn't harmful for him.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:30 am »

Nothing addictive is healthy, if you take it too much. Caffeine is like a drug. Just swap the word "caffeine" with "cocaine" in Jimmy's posts and tell me if it still makes sense or not.
Was this directed at me? Because I didn't say caffeine is healthy, just that it doesn't cause dehydration.

Also,
Nothing addictive is healthy, if you take it too much.
Fix'd that for you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »

Caffeine is like a drug.

It's not like a drug. It is a drug. A legal one, but still, a drug.

Here's a good explanation, and entertaining as well! Especially given our OP is a pharmacist. ; ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiS75AiIIdE
Pages: 1 [2]