Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: (TSG) A Sky and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-10  (Read 22744 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-2
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:13 am »

Ah yes, that's right!  How could you have forgotten them?  The boot to the head probably didn't help.

"You know very well what that was for." said Serafina, putting her hands on her hips. "Do you want another?"

"Oh no, no, don't trouble yourself!  I'm fine now thank you!" You wave your hands protectively in front of your face and decide to attempt to deflect the conversation away from the possibility of adding another indention into your skull. "Besides, I just had the strangest dream, and it felt so real!"

Oh? said Ankh, leaning against one of the pier's supporting beams, a grin on his face, "I don't suppose we have any chance of being spared having to listen to you talk about it?"

"No you don't, now shut up and let me talk." You stick your tongue out at him and make a face.

"Now, come on, whatever your head came up with can't be that, interesting."

"Hey!"

"Come on Sera, don't be harsh! You do have to admit that Gear's stories have gotten more interesting than watching bread rise as of late."

"Hey, watching bread rise can be pretty damn interesting. It was really weird, I was in this room and there were all these gargoyles..."

"I don't know, gargoyles seem pretty boring to me.  They just sit there and fail at looking scary. Like in that one weird church on Coffer Street."

"What church on Coffer Street?  I've never seen it."

"Neither have I. You would think that one of us would notice it with how often we take that route to come visit you."

"That's because it doesn't look like one on the outside.  It looks like one of the old abandoned storehouses that you see around the east side of town, but someone took the inside and decorated it like a church of some sort. That isn't the oddest thing about it though: whoever bought the place put gargoyles instead of angels or figurines of Ysef all around.  I didn't even know it was supposed to be a church until I took a peek inside this morning. It's really weird."

Breaking and entering random buildings in our spare time are we?"

"No! I saw a really rich looking guy walk in and was wondering what he was doing in there, since you don't see many wealthy people on the east side and I've never seen anyone go in there before, so I decided to take a look.  He left the door open anyway." muttered Ankh, starting to look embarrassed.

"Ooooooh, so you were stalking someone then~"

"What? NO!"

"Oho, Ankhy has a cruuuush."

Ankh began to protest, his face beet red, "For Ysef's sake it was a GUY!"

"And that makes a difference why?  You really shouldn't hide these type of things from us~"

"Aaaaaaauugh, just kill me now!" He exclaims and buries his face in his hands.

The three of you continue your usual routine of friendly teasing mixed into idle chatter until the sun has sunk past the horizon and its final rays barely provide enough light to see across to the other side of the pier.  You and Sera bid farewell to Ankh and head off to your homes on the other side of town.  The journey is rather short, made a little longer by the darkness, but that is soon remedied by the gaslamps as the lamplighters finally finish their rounds. 

Arriving home, the two of you bid each other goodnight and head off into your respective houses.  Yours is empty, your mother being off on a trip to meet with some foreign prince interested in buying her sculptures, and your father...

Well, the last you heard of him he was somewhere over the Gaffer Sea, being a scourge of the skies and a rather notorious one at that.  You don't really mind either of them being gone, you're old enough to live by yourself and they raised you well enough when they were around,  but you do wish your father would choose a less dangerous occupation...

But that is neither here nor is it there, it just is, and what also is is your need for sleep.  It's a rather strong is at the moment, and you can barely crawl up the stairs to your bed before collapsing.  It's been a long day, and for some reason your earlier nap only made you more tired rather than less, but at least you have a free day tomorrow.

Cherry gumdrop bells walk past your nose as the door arcs up into the sky.  Your feet have a hard time gripping its pebbly surface as you struggle towards the hippo.  Briefly you see a female elf talking to a creepy one as you slide past on a turtle named Bread.  The hippos land you gracefully on Coffer street and you walk into the church. All around there are candles and smashed gargoyles, except for one at the end under the stained glass window.  You walk up the aisle of pews towards its wise face, and you notice a man in a nice suit sitting casually with his arms over the back of the front pew.  He glances at you with his one eye and says:

"Would you hurry up already?"

The floor becomes a tomato and you sink into its warm depths. Ankh hands you a sandwich. You cry as the onions become children who fall down the stairs into the tomato, turning into lamplighters who spend the rest of their dreary lives walking over cogs of a great machine under the sea driven by Serafina.  Ankh hands you a sandwich. You throw it up into the air and it becomes the ceiling.  The ceiling screams the sound of your alarm clock.

You wake up.

You slap your hand around blindly, searching for the clock in the early morning haze. Eventually you find it and pound it into the pillow a few times before remembering how to turn it off.  Groggily, you push yourself out of bed and march your way downstairs.   You feel your way over to the water basin and wake yourself fully up with a few splashes of cold water. 

After you fully refresh yourself, you fix yourself breakfast and think over what you want to do today.  You could do your original plan and laze about the entire day, but something tells you that checking out that church that Ankh mentioned would be an interesting idea.  Or is there something else you'd rather do? 

What should you do?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Author's Notes (click to show/hide)
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 03:49:26 am »

Check food levels in cupboard. You be meaning to do it for a while.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »

Look around the house for one of your mother's sculptures

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:21 pm »

Find a newspaper or the equivalent. Important to keep in the know.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:37 am »

Or, y'know, head to that church. Whatever advances the plot :P

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 01:09:46 pm »

Update is already written, I just haven't gotten a chance to proofread yet because of finals.  Should come no later than Thursday, no earlier than seven hours from now.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-3
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While the skillet heats you check through the cupboards.  They're more or less stocked. Various baking goods and condiments fill the shelves up fairly snugly, there's not nearly as much as when the house is full, but enough to where you won't have to go out and buy more of anything for a couple of days.  Satisfied that the cupboards are good, you head to the larder. The last time the thing was stocked up there were three people in the house, and two of them left shortly after so it's still very well stocked.  A little too well stocked maybe...

You grab a small slab of bacon to cook before you head out. Stuff needs to be eaten, and that's the only reason that you're fixing an entire slab, certainly not because you lack the self control to resist its deliciousness. 

The skillet still has a bit to go when you get back from the larder, so you head to the door and grab the paper from the doorstep.  The headline is predictably sensationalist:

SIR DAVID HUMPHREY DISCOVERS STRANGE ATMOSPHERIC DISTURBANCE!!!
SWEARS THAT HIS "FUMES OF HUMOROUS DISPOSITION" HAVE NOTHING DO WITH THIS

The article itself has very little to do with Humphrey's discovery, and more to do with Sir Michael Fairday's mocking of him over the "STRANGE OCEANIC DISTURBANCE" incident.  Page two is filled with gossip about the Royal Family, and the rest of the paper mainly concerns itself with the local goings on, fresh fruits on sale, cow found eaten by wolves, yadda, yadda yadda... 

You sigh and put the bacon in the skillet. As usual, any news relating to the outside world is nothing but a couple of boffins with a rivalry and the usual gossip that crops up when your leader has more than half a dozen children. Only a slight mention made about the war against the Nonijan.  Apparently you've been at war with this country for years now, but you never hear anything about it this far north.  Almost all the fighting is done in the ░░░░░░░ Mountains and the recruits come from the villages surrounding them.  It might as well be happening in another country if it weren't for the slight increase in taxes; you're not even sure what the war started over, or who was responsible.  The entire affair is rather strange.

You finish cooking the bacon and fix yourself a couple of sandwiches.  You'll give some of them to Sera and Ankh when they get out of work.  In the meantime, you quickly chomp down on one and munch on the other as you wander around the house idly.

Eventually, you decide to check on your mother's workshop.  The room is the same as she left it: Covered in half-finished statues and stone dust, with tools laying scattered about.  She does just about everything that someone can do with stone, but specializes in neo-classical Remean depictions, i.e. naked people missing their arms.  You suppose she gets so many royal customers because they want to look like they own some sort of ancient artifact or some such. 

You sigh.  You just don't understand some people, royalty especially.

You glance around the workshop to check and make sure that nothing is missing.  Satisfied that everything in the workshop proper is still there, you check the door at the back.  The door is made of solid metal and always locked, you've never been past it, and you don't think anyone other than your mother has been either.  She calls it her personal project room and apparently doesn't want anyone messing it up.  Your guess is that whatever it is she makes back there more embarrassing than her usual orders and she doesn't want the public eye to see.  It's hard to imagine what would be worse than neo-classical Remean depiction and you frankly don't want to.

Trying to keep thoughts of what could be worse from your head, you check that the key is still hidden in the small slit above the door and give the handle a few tries to make sure that it's still locked; it barely budges at all.  Satisfied, you turn around and begin to walk away.  Before you go to far though, you hear the crash of breaking stone.  From inside the locked room you can hear what seems to be the sound of multiple statues being smashed into pieces. You quickly back away from the door.  There's only one way into that room, and unless whatever is in there busted the wall down or somehow locked it from the inside, you don't know how anything could have gotten in. 

There's a police station a few minutes walk, maybe a little less than a minute if you run from here.  There are plenty of sculptors tools laying around that you could use to defend yourself if you needed to.

What should you do?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:34:08 pm by Phantom of The Library »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »

We are a protector, and we must defend our mother's embarrassing nude statue collection! Open all the doors between here and the outside to facilitate a rapid retreat (if necessary,) grab a pointy metal thing and open the door!

Also, did we finish that second sandwich, or do we still have it in one hand? You never know when a delicious bacon sandwich might be useful.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »

Also, did we finish that second sandwich, or do we still have it in one hand? You never know when a delicious bacon sandwich might be useful.

Woops, forgot to update the inventory, sorry 'bout that.

You still have a few bites left, and there are three wrapped ones sitting on the table in the kitchen.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26:46 am »

While I agree we should open all the doors to nearest exit to facilitate rapid escape we should be less paranoid. We could have easily bumped into a fragile object or perhaps our character's mother when we fiddled with the door and knocked either down.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

This is a disturbing world full of disturbing disturbances- it never hurts to be too careful.

Long term goal- acquire "Fumes of Humorous Disposition"

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 04:17:20 pm »

Take heed and take caution, this turn of events is extremely disquieting...

Absconditus

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-4
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »

We are a protector, and we must defend our mother's embarrassing nude statue collection! Open all the doors between here and the outside to facilitate a rapid retreat (if necessary,) grab a pointy metal thing and open the door!
While I agree we should open all the doors to nearest exit to facilitate rapid escape we should be less paranoid. We could have easily bumped into a fragile object or perhaps our character's mother when we fiddled with the door and knocked either down.

Panicking, you run through the house flinging doors open wide until you reach the front door, whereupon you stop and ask yourself why exactly you're freaking out- in all likelihood you just made something fall over when you shook the door. 

You laugh at yourself and head back inside; there's nothing to worry about, it would be typical of your mother to leave something on the edge of a table next to the door where it could be easily knocked off.  Besides, it would be impossible for someone to bust down the wall without you hearing and the door can't be locked from the inside, so worrying about it is completely silly... 

...All the same, you think you'd better check and make sure that there's nothing inside. Better safe than sorry after all.

You walk back calmly, leaving the doors open behind you and when you reach the workshop you pick up one of the sharper chisels. Just in case. Not that you actually think that there's something in there to defend yourself against.

This is a disturbing world full of disturbing disturbances- it never hurts to be too careful.

Long term goal- acquire "Fumes of Humorous Disposition"
Take heed and take caution, this turn of events is extremely disquieting...

Briefly, it occurs to you that some "Fumes of Humorous Disposition," whatever they are, might come in handy in the future and you make a mental note to get some at the nearest opportunity.

You tuck the chisel under one arm as you reach up for the key and fumble with it a bit before finally getting the thing to fit in the lock.  Putting one ear up against the door, you slowly turn the key, listening for the sound of movement on the other side of the door.  You don't hear anything, so you finish turning the key and fling the door open wide, letting in a large beam of light which reveals several feet of the pitch black room directly in front of you. 

Sure enough, laying there in no more than two feet away is a smashed bust that fell off of a table.  You chuckle to yourself at your earlier panic and yank on the light cord to the right of the doorway, turning on the light bulb in the center of the room. 

The incandescent bulb flickers to life and reveals the shadow creature crouching in the center of the room.  You glance around and to your surprise see nothing particularly embarrassing like you expected. Instead you see several gargoyle statues, most of which are in some state of destruction...  Wait a moment... Shadow creature?  You do a double take and your eyes snap back to the crouching beast at the center.

It resembles the shadow gargoyle from your dream, only distorted.  The head is about the size and shape of a basketball with a jack'o'lantern-esque mouth, two glowing slits for eyes, and two curvy horns stretching off of the back of its head. Its neck is impossibly thin and the rest of its body is similarly proportioned, except for its hands and feet which are each nearly the size of its head and end in sharp claws.  Two undersized wings are folded up on its back and seem like they wouldn't be able to hold its weight should it try to fly.  The entire creature seems like it is composed of solidified shadow, and the tips of its claws and other parts of its body near the edge are nearly see-through.  It stares at you as if it can't quite decide whether to eat you or just rip out your throat. In one hand it clasps the head of one of the gargoyle statues and the other is placed flat on the floor as if to brace itself.

The creature continues to stare at you for a few moments, then throws the stone head in its hand to the ground.  As the head shatters, the creature bends over and emits a low hiss from its mouth, revealing a glowing red maw that seems to have no bottom. 

Hsssshhhhhhhhh!!!

It looks as if it might pounce at any moment.

Spoiler: Long Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-4
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »

Oh balls.

Slam the door shut, then run outside!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7