Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reverse burrows  (Read 754 times)

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reverse burrows
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »

Pretty much as they sound. Its a burrow that if a dwarf is assigned they cannot enter. I Think this would be useful for separation of dwarves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse burrows
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

Pretty sure this has been suggested numerous times.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »

Hmm yeah I really should get into the habit of using the search button. But the fact that it has come up again should attest to something.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »

You could use traffic designations (d-->o) if you want them to not path through a certain area.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:19 am »

Well there is that but I am talking about off limits areas for other dwarves. Like maybe military bases or nobles quarters that normal dwarves can't access. Or maybe just to keep immigrants out until you get them sorted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »

But the fact that it has come up again should attest to something.

Not really.  Multiplayer, dwarf slavekeeping, torture, and homosexuality for its own sake (with zero attention to the broader topics of general social interaction and romance) come up again and again and again and again.  The really bad ideas always come back for another go.

But I do like the idea of being able to forbid an area, for general purposes, for specific dwarves, or both.  Not just restricted traffic with a high estimated movement cost, but a place dwarves simply will not go unless they're moving against their will (launched by a bridge perhaps).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:36:46 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:35 pm »

You left out bugfixes, things to make DF more popular, hiring additional employees, improving graphics, improving UI, etc.

Popular =/= Good
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:37:14 pm »

I think the burrows system could benefit a lot from some more functionality. 

Have, say, three types.  The current one, where the selected dwarves can only move in the burrow.  Then you'd have another where the selected dwarves can't move through the burrow.  Then a third where ONLY the selected dwarves MAY move through the burrow, but aren't restricted to only the burrow.  Call it something like ONLY, EXCLUDE, and ALLOW. 

But yeah, suggested many times.  Hopefully we'll see it implemented at some point, but Toady's working on some much bigger stuff atm. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:32 am »

The current one doesn't restrict movement at all (civilian alert burrow excluded).  It just restricts where assigned dwarves are allowed to take jobs.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:51:50 am »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.  Should have said so, but forgot to because it's really the only thing I use burrows for except for squad stationing.  OP was talking about movement restriction. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."