Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Thoughts on everyday "luxury" goods, and thier waste of resources.  (Read 7923 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Yes, i know the world runs on it. Yes, i don't think it should. Yes, i struggle to justify much of it in my own life. Yes, being in high school, this does lend to a certain degree of usually unvoiced disappointment with my peers. I realize it goes a way to increasing productivity, yada yada yada, but seeing the endless trinkets and jewelry and clothes pass by me incessantly angers me when i think of the difficulties abounding simply within my own comparatively well off family outside the first world. How much can we justify?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on everyday "luxury" goods, and thier waste of resources.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:04 pm »

people only see others doing bad things , you don't even notice when you waste stuff yourself.

no matter how hard you will try , people won't change.

that's the lesson of the day , kid.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

Depends, are we obliged to help the less fortunate, or is that their problem and we are allowed to enjoy what we have?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »

1/4 of the word uses 3/4 of the world's resources.

But it's ok BECUZ NEW PHONE 2 GOOD 4 UUUUU

In short, I hate everyone who has to have the "new thing," when the "new thing" is just a rehashed waste of resources cloned from the bastard offspring of yesterday's new things.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:15 pm »

Well, how on earth do you quantify that?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:10 pm »

Well, how on earth do you quantify that?
Easiest is GDP, wikipedia says 65% of GDP belongs to MDCs

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:26:56 pm »

Ah, consumerism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:09 pm »

Honestly I wouldn't mind luxuries if people weren't EXTREMELY shallow with them.

Ask people their favorite gemstone and expect it to be very expencive.

Then ask them if they would like a grown version for cheaper (note: They can be grown cheaper, but the process of marking gems hikes the price up) and they will say no.

So yeah...

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:56 pm »

I must admit to being a massive consumer. At the moment I'm consuming chocolate.

The gemstone point is rather valid - I used to collect semi - precious (Between 50p and £2 per rock) stones and some of those were in my eyes as cool as any diamond. :)

Definitely a case of acceptable targets here, but iPads / iPhones and such. Is there really such a difference between versions that it's worth spending upwards of a £100 on a new phone every time one comes out?  ???

I can only believe it really is a case of 'being cool' if you've got the latest gadgets.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »

seeing the endless trinkets and jewelry and clothes pass by me incessantly angers me when i think of the difficulties abounding simply within my own comparatively well off family outside the first world. How much can we justify?
We can justify as much as we can afford, I think. I can't reasonably justify people buying a new phone every 3 months. I've had the same crappy cell phone for years, and I have neither the inclination nor means to improve it. I was able to justify getting a shiny new Euphonium when it was on sale, because I felt I needed one to play and had the money to do so. Had it been at the full $1400 price, it would be unjustifiable, but it wasn't so bad at $229. I can justify donating $5 once a year to Wikipedia, because I use that all the time and it's not a lot of money. I can't justify donating $50 to the local arts center every week, even though I've been there a couple times, because it's impossible for me to afford that.

NINJA EDIT:
Ask people their favorite gemstone and expect it to be very expensive.
Does Bismuth count? It forms rainbow crystals and is fairly safe, as far as heavy metals go. It's not dangerously radioactive or toxic, and it looks like this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

Ask people their favorite gemstone and expect it to be very expensive.
Or else the most well known. Most people don't ponder on their favourite stone, as they wouldn't even know many to begin with.

Then ask them if they would like a grown version for cheaper (note: They can be grown cheaper, but the process of marking gems hikes the price up) and they will say no.
Grown versions are free from impurities which make other gems unique, and in some cases - more valuable. The best known example of this is the hope diamond. Also scarcity/demand has to be taken into account.

I swear, if someone wanted to; they could probably market "PURE (manufactured) DIAMONDS" at a greater price than your run of the block ice, and people would buy it. It's a status thing.
urglebublugelgubg

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 07:02:10 pm »

In a culture where people get respect and admiration for having expensive stuff, is it really that surprising that people want stuff that'll get them respect and admiration? When looking poor gets you disgusted stares in public, is it that irrational to want to look wealthy?

On a global scale our culture is wasteful and harmful to poorer countries, but within it people are acting as I'd expect them to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »

Actually in many cases are Manufactured diamonds more expencive. Not because the process or the equipment is that expencive but because of certain limitations put on the industry so they cannot compete with diamond sales.

Grown versions are free from impurities which make other gems unique, and in some cases - more valuable

I should state that the "Hope diamond" is aided by the fact that it is a large diamond. You can shape a diamond in almost anyway you want. If you wanted a diamond in the shape of a heart you could do it with grown diamonds.

You can also match those exact "impurities" as well.

Lastly no one can tell the difference between a flawless diamond and a manufactured diamond unless they are trained to.

---

All in all people's tastes in jewels is as deep as a puddle during a hot summers day.

Does Bismuth count?

It really doesn't matter to much for me. It just depends if price dictates your love of a product. If Snob appeal (appeal generated by price) colors your tastes to a high degree. A lot of luxuries and products are simply expencive crud rather then high quality.

is it really that surprising that people want stuff that'll get them respect and admiration? When looking poor gets you disgusted stares in public, is it that irrational to want to look wealthy?

Sure that makes a lot of sense. Too bad that isn't anywhere close to the ballpark people give as their answers. Usually the idea is that the most expencive gemstones are better because they are the most expencive and you have to have the most expencive gemstones.

Not because of that.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:04 pm »

PoH, that's a very good point you bring to the table. I think however that instead of trying to look wealthy the stigma of being poor should be removed. (Because THAT'S going to be easy, right?!?! WELL I TRY)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:09 pm »

PoH, that's a very good point you bring to the table. I think however that instead of trying to look wealthy the stigma of being poor should be removed. (Because THAT'S going to be easy, right?!?! WELL I TRY)

They tried before it just doesn't work. For example Brown Buisness suits.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5