Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Elon Musk wants YOU to go to Mars.  Room, board, and oxygen provided. Do you pay the $500,000 to go?

YES! I would sign up immediately
- 22 (19.3%)
Yes. I would go, but only after a successful colony already exists
- 20 (17.5%)
No, it's too expensive, even if I had the money
- 14 (12.3%)
No, I don't think it would ever be safe enough to travel there
- 5 (4.4%)
No, for other reasons.
- 21 (18.4%)
[Kobold Noises]
- 32 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?  (Read 15139 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »

The NASA paper is saw on it seemed to indicate that there might be enought carbondioxide/water stuck in the soil/ icecaps to do it.

You'd need to kickstart the runaway warming cycle first, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »

Well, mars isn't exactly close to the sun. It could be pretty slow.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »

Mars is inside the habitable zone, though. The major problem is that Mars' geomagnetic field is a lot weaker than Earth's, so any atmosphere we created would disperse at a (relatively) quick rate unless we re-established the magnetosphere.

That said, a 1500 year estimate is with current technology. In practice, a habitable Mars could come much sooner due to our exponential advancements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

Also, Mars doesn't have any plate tectonics, and therefore less volcanism, meaning it doesn't replenish it's athmosphere.

Secondly, the 1500 year estimate does include advancing technology, but it also assumes that Colonisation is kind of a side project, not the main goal. So it tends to prefer cheaper, longer options to expensive but short ones. It also can't predict groundbreaking breakthrough's.

Third, Mars would be habitable long before the terraforming is complete. I think the estimate was trees 200 year in , going to a breathable but underpressurized athmosphere from 1200 onwards. (Or maybe it was an unbreathable but pressurized athmosphere. Can't remember.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2012, 12:58:46 pm »

I'd assume the atmosphere would be breathable first. You don't need all that much to make an atmosphere that humans can survive in, if not be comfortable or at peak. To make Mars breathable we would need to:
-Reduce the CO2, below 5% for survival and 1% optimally.
-Increase the O2, above 15% for survival, 16% for fire, and 20% optimally.
-Increase air pressure. The minimum breathable air pressure is 160 millibars and Mars' surface pressure is 10 millibars.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2012, 01:02:47 pm »

Do note that if the pressure is lower than optimal, the Oxygen percentage needs to be much higher. (Ie, at 1/3 of normal pressure you need to be breathing 60% oxygen)

I think it went 'Needing spacesuit', then beginning terraforming. At a low pressure, introduce algae and lichens, Then small plants adapted/engineered for the Martian atmosphere, then larger plants like shrubs. By that point, the atmosphere is thick enough to make it so that you only need breathing apparatus. Then you introduce trees and begin to introduce life. By that point, you have a breathable atmosphere.
Trees were placed much earlier in the cycle. Several sorts of pine and other mountainous trees can easily whistand the cold and low oxygen conditions, and AFAIK , much better than mosts shrubs.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »

The NASA paper is saw on it seemed to indicate that there might be enought carbondioxide/water stuck in the soil/ icecaps to do it.

You'd need to kickstart the runaway warming cycle first, though.

Why am I suddenly imagining a kickstarter for the terraforming of mars.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

Again, we still need a martian magnetosphere to prevent the atmosphere from de-atmospherizing. Anybody got a plan for that? I was thinking we dump a plasma-state O2/N2 mixture onto the planet until the core melts, then spray water onto it until continents form. Other ideas might be better, though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »

we could just be happy with having it habitable , for example, for 10k or 100k years. and then hope that we get a better idea, if we are still around by that time.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »

I'd assume the atmosphere would be breathable first. You don't need all that much to make an atmosphere that humans can survive in, if not be comfortable or at peak. To make Mars breathable we would need to:
-Increase air pressure. The minimum breathable air pressure is 160 millibars and Mars' surface pressure is 10 millibars.

But aren't we going to be using CO2 to keep the planet nice and toasty? Or will we be importing methane from Titan or something?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2012, 02:06:58 pm »

In that case, we'd all get cancer from the solar radiation. I'm still going to pass, thanks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

But aren't we going to be using CO2 to keep the planet nice and toasty? Or will we be importing methane from Titan or something?
Mars' atmosphere is currently 95.5% CO2. We're going to have to convert most of it for the sake of aerobic life.

No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »

The cold problem should partially be solved by the thickening athmosphere.

As for radiation, maybe we can try to form a ionosphere. Or try to restart's Mars core system using carefully placed overpowered nukes. Or you know, we can just shield our colonies and hope the rest of the live survives.

After all , everything should be fine unless Mars gets a serious direct hit from a flare, which is incredibly unlikely. I mean, our rovers are still operating, even though they are very vulnerable to these things.

((Solar radiation can be solved with ozon))

Mars' atmosphere is currently 95.5% CO2. We're going to have to convert most of it for the sake of aerobic life.
Mars athmosphere is currently near nonexistant.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »

Curiosity's measurements suggest that radiation on Mars will not be harmful to unshielded humans, baring a flare.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »

So atmo is 95% CO2. Going from 10 milibars to 160 milibars via addition of O2, O3, and N2 means that the atmosphere would be 5.975% CO2. If we went more comfortable breathing conditions, say, 320 mbar, we'd have a %CO2 at about 3. Add in trees, and there'll be even less CO2, possibly low enough that it would be acceptable at minimum breathing pressure.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12