Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Elon Musk wants YOU to go to Mars.  Room, board, and oxygen provided. Do you pay the $500,000 to go?

YES! I would sign up immediately
- 22 (19.3%)
Yes. I would go, but only after a successful colony already exists
- 20 (17.5%)
No, it's too expensive, even if I had the money
- 14 (12.3%)
No, I don't think it would ever be safe enough to travel there
- 5 (4.4%)
No, for other reasons.
- 21 (18.4%)
[Kobold Noises]
- 32 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?  (Read 15120 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:32 am »

Technically speaking nothing is outside Earth's gravitational pull. All matter exerts gravity on all other matter. You are exerting gravity on me as I exert gravity on you, as an apartment building in NYC exerts gravity on a blue trout, as the ISS exerts gravity on an unnamed asteroid orbiting an unnamed star on the far side of the Andromeda Galaxy. And all of those things exert gravity on Bill Clinton.

Oh I can assure you that there are things beyond earth's gravity. It cannot travel beyond the speed of light and earth's only been around for 4 billion years. It's not enough time for its gravity to spread out across all of the cosmos.

In any case, I think you know what I mean. Outside of a certain range, earth's gravity will be in such minute amounts that it's not readily measurable. Nominally, getting a little bit far from the earth is all that's needed to completely eliminate earth's gravitational pull in any meaningful sense.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2012, 01:26:21 am »

Oh I can assure you that there are things beyond earth's gravity. It cannot travel beyond the speed of light and earth's only been around for 4 billion years. It's not enough time for its gravity to spread out across all of the cosmos.
Ah, but the material that makes up Earth did not come into existence 4 billion years ago. While it was scattered before, it was around in some form since the Big Bang. Gravity does not have range, only intensity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2012, 01:33:02 am »

True, but I think you're moving the goal posts a bit, I am talking about earth's gravity. Not all the bits that made up earth those billions of years ago. You could count all the things that made up earth as earth before it came to be. But your categorizations of what is and isn't is going to be completely unusable. There would be no point in which you will recognize one thing changing into another.

Earth's gravity only comes into existence when the first clause of earth exists, and while we all agree that the parts that made up it existed before, I think you nor I would go around and refer to this as "earth" in our lives.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:04 am »

The issue is that atoms all exhibit gravity individually but in force this produces a greater field of gravity. We are contributing to Earth's gravity even as it acts upon us.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2012, 01:38:51 am »

You're both wrong; God created the Earth from nothingness six thousand years ago, while both heliocentric "theory" and the "theory" gravity are myths perpetrated by the Illuminati to explain away chemical contrails and hide the fact that the U.S. government has been at war with Mars since the 1960s.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2012, 01:39:52 am »

The Soviet Union didn't dissolve in 1991, it just retreated to Mars. Why do you think we call them Reds?
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:20 am »

The Soviet Union didn't dissolve in 1991, it just retreated to Mars. Why do you think we call them Reds?

Because the Soviet flag is almost entirely red?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2012, 01:44:08 am »

Shut up, you Commie-sympathizing traitor. People like you should be exiled to the Moon if you like neutrality so much, get a job hippie.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2012, 01:45:32 am »

What NASA isn't telling us is that they've sent dozens of armed probes to Mars over the past decades to combat the godless communists. Though apparently they aren't godless any more; the ones in the combat records seem to be babbling something about an 'Omnissiah' in between apologies to the 'machine-spirits' of the drones as they dismantled them.

Because of the blood of the workers spilled in the pursuit of communism. Once on Mars, so many died in their labors that the soil was permanently stained.

3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2012, 01:46:31 am »

Precisely. Unnamed background characters are lumped in with collateral damage. Obviously the easiest way to deal with any sort of existential threat is to have every living human being introduce themselves before declaring that the odds of the threat spontaneously going *poof* are a million to one. I'd kill to live in a universe where narrative laws trumped physical ones.

What if the protagonist isn't around when I'm introducing myself?  I guess the new way of greeting people needs to be saying "Hi, my name is John Doe and humanity has a one in a million chance of survival."  I wouldn't want to be the first one to say that.  You are just begging to get redshirted in the intro sequence if you go around saying that all the time.

We need to find a character archtype that maximizes chance of survival but there can be an endless supply of.  Finding a character role to fit those precise criteria is a longshot.  Luckily, finding it might just be the one hope of saving humanity in the face of overwhelming odds.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:01 am »

The issue is that atoms all exhibit gravity individually but in force this produces a greater field of gravity. We are contributing to Earth's gravity even as it acts upon us.

That is true, but I think you know what I mean when I said beyond earth's gravity, I do not count mine as a part of it. You have to make distinctions between objects beyond their base materials. The moon was once part of the earth, but we do not say that it is the earth. It is the moon now, which we recognize it as an entity apart from earth. It exerts its own gravity. You have to respect the distinctions of individual objects, if not you might as well count the entire universe as part of earth since everything was at one point at one point.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:58 am »

Precisely. Unnamed background characters are lumped in with collateral damage. Obviously the easiest way to deal with any sort of existential threat is to have every living human being introduce themselves before declaring that the odds of the threat spontaneously going *poof* are a million to one. I'd kill to live in a universe where narrative laws trumped physical ones.

What if the protagonist isn't around when I'm introducing myself?  I guess the new way of greeting people needs to be saying "Hi, my name is John Doe and humanity has a one in a million chance of survival."  I wouldn't want to be the first one to say that.  You are just begging to get redshirted in the intro sequence if you go around saying that all the time.

We need to find a character archtype that maximizes chance of survival but there can be an endless supply of.  Finding a character role to fit those precise criteria is a longshot.  Luckily, finding it might just be the one hope of saving humanity in the face of overwhelming odds.

In other words, we have a one in a million shot at finding the perfect person to say that the odds of us succeeding are one million to one?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2012, 01:50:20 am »

That is true, but I think you know what I mean when I said beyond earth's gravity, I do not count mine as a part of it. You have to make distinctions between objects beyond their base materials. The moon was once part of the earth, but we do not say that it is the earth. It is the moon now, which we recognize it as an entity apart from earth. It exerts its own gravity. You have to respect the distinctions of individual objects, if not you might as well count the entire universe as part of earth since everything was at one point at one point.
Physics-wise, there really is only one gravity that is perceived at different levels. This correlates nicely with the One-Electron Theory as well. As the name suggests, this theory argues that there is one electron and only one electron in the entire Universe that we are seeing from infinitely different angles.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:23 am »

Physics-wise, there really is only one gravity that is perceived at different levels. This correlates nicely with the One-Electron Theory as well. As the name suggests, this theory argues that there is one electron and only one electron in the entire Universe that we are seeing from infinitely different angles.

I'm not disagreeing with this, what I am trying to point out for you is that I have set a point in this universe of which I have qualified with the word "earth". I will count the gravity that extends from this body as "earth's" gravity.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:28 am »

But that gravity goes everywhere, literally everywhere.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12