Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Elon Musk wants YOU to go to Mars.  Room, board, and oxygen provided. Do you pay the $500,000 to go?

YES! I would sign up immediately
- 22 (19.3%)
Yes. I would go, but only after a successful colony already exists
- 20 (17.5%)
No, it's too expensive, even if I had the money
- 14 (12.3%)
No, I don't think it would ever be safe enough to travel there
- 5 (4.4%)
No, for other reasons.
- 21 (18.4%)
[Kobold Noises]
- 32 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?  (Read 15105 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »

The Article

In summary, Elon Musk, the guy behind SpaceX, has some theories about what a successful mars colony would take. He thinks it would be a total of at least $36 Billion dollars (from colonists), and if 80,000 people who want to go- a reasonable number of people, given earth's population- each spend $500,000 (which he estimates is within the means of many people, similar in price to the cost of a nice house), then you'd get $40B, giving you a little spending money once you get there. Of course, that would only be a part of funding, the rest coming from governments and corporations providing four or five times that.

Given no science fiction, just reasonable extrapolation of existing technology over the next few decades, would you sign up for this?

Things to consider:
>Being among the first living things known to mankind to settle on a new planetary body would be an astounding achievement marking the beginning of a new era in human history.
>If Elon gets the smart idea of selling oxygen for $100 a day, are you going to be able to get a ride back to earth?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:18:42 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-way Ticket to Mars: $500,000. Signing up?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

A hypothetical Mars colony would be nice to visit, but no, I wouldn't want to live there. I'm perfectly happy with my comfortable planet right here, thankyouverymuch.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »

I've things keeping me here that I find more important than being one of 80,000 names in a history book for dying on the first Mars colony.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:41:16 pm »

In a heartbeat. I'd trade every aspect of my life as-is for doing something genuinely important, and I think this would count as one of those things.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Spend a silly amount of money for something that is likely to get you killed? Eh there's worse things to spend on, not that I could if I wanted to.  :(

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

Voted No. I would like to finish my degree before going to Mars.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:38 pm »

So, if it costs $2.5 billion to develop and send one rover to Mars, how is a mere $40 billion going to be enough to transport 80,000 people?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »

I would. Mars is my dream, hopefully they have a cool lab to build crap from. Also, there should be enough gamers in the 80k to get a good LAN party going, god knows the lag to earth would be horrific.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:23 pm »

So, if it costs $2.5 billion to develop and send one rover to Mars, how is a mere $40 billion going to be enough to transport 80,000 people?

I imagine a lot of that $2.5 billion is in set infrastructure costs, or other costs that don't really increase through the adding of more people.

Though $40 billion does seem a bit low.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »

Yeah it does sound like a pretty wild underestimate.  A colony built for that much would be a shoddy death trap so I'd say no.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »

Well, the rover weighs less than a person, so you take the plan for the rover, multiply all the values by, oh, 20,000, and then R&D is done. The rest is just manufacturing.

More realistically, the article calls for about  $40B from colonists, and maybe $80B from governments and corporations. So you live in the Coka-Cola biodome and wear Nike Ares-walker boots...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »

In a heartbeat. I'd trade every aspect of my life as-is for doing something genuinely important, and I think this would count as one of those things.

I highly doubt the importance of going to Mars.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

Yeah, I mean no-one even remembers the first guy on the moon do they?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »

Yeah, I mean no-one even remembers the first guy on the moon do they?

Name ANY OTHER person from that team

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »

Buzz Aldron (can't spell his last name).

Dunno about any others though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12