Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Animal Job: Draft  (Read 571 times)

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Animal Job: Draft
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:11:06 am »

Hello, I am new here and would like to make a suggestion.  I know that when you read draft you might be thinking of those animals that pull the wagon, but I have a different idea in mind: power.  That is, certain animals could be hooked up to gear assemblies or possibly to a machine itself and be used to power it but a dwarf with skill in using the machine in question.  Draft animals could be fed and watered while they work by dwarves with "Animal Caretaking" enabled, when it becomes useable.  If not cared for, they would simply die of starvation/dehydration if enough time passes.  This would cause an unpleasant thought, like "feels awful for working an animal to death" with bonus angst if it happens to be an animal that dwarf likes. 

Draft animals could also be rotated in and out depending on the availability of other such trained and healthy animals.  This could be done by the Animal Caretaker as well, leaving the machine operator there to manage the working animal so there would be no interruption.  I suppose this would be more doable once animal feed is added in though. 

For added fun, an animal could possibly injure itself if a collapse were to occur somewhere along the power chain -- say the animal is treated as though it were charged and knocked over by the machine it is hooked up to.

Thanks for reading!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: New Animal Job: Draft
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:56 am »

It's been suggested thousand times, I'm afraid. 8)

oxes and horses could also be used to plowing farming grounds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »

It's been suggested thousand times, I'm afraid. 8)
Also planned.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:54 am »

Okay, thanks for responding.