Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modern day beliefs of Hellenics, or worsippers of the greek gods.  (Read 723 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is finding out what modern day Hellenic's believe, as i understand there having a bit of a resurgence, at least in greece. This being greece, it's drawn national extremists, though I'm not sure how many. By belief, it does include the current interpretation of the greek gods, but i'[d ilke to know thier social views. Assuming these aren't in the kilter of the worse aspects of the ancient greeks, i fervently hope this becomes a bigger, or even major religion, if only because it is one of the few churches i would attend for the lulzs. And i would relish the religious debates with a vengeance.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern day beliefs of Hellenics, or worsippers of the greek gods.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:27 am »

Something like this?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

Isn't this just another form of neopaganism?  If so, it probably differs quite a lot between different people.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is finding out what modern day Hellenic's believe, as i understand there having a bit of a resurgence, at least in greece. This being greece, it's drawn national extremists, though I'm not sure how many. By belief, it does include the current interpretation of the greek gods, but i'[d ilke to know thier social views. Assuming these aren't in the kilter of the worse aspects of the ancient greeks, i fervently hope this becomes a bigger, or even major religion, if only because it is one of the few churches i would attend for the lulzs. And i would relish the religious debates with a vengeance.

Sideways to topic, but I once spoke to a girl at a gun show who claimed to be an active believer and worshipper in the Norse gods. This was quite a few years ago, so forgive me if I'm unable to give an itemized listing of her beliefs, but the most memorable parts of the discussion were that:

* It seemed important to her to refer to Odin with the "Wotan" pronunciation with that peculiarly american a/apple sound.
 * She became visibly angry when I asked about Loki.
 * I think she was assuming the "middle" of the chronology of the mythos. For example, I don't think she thought Loki was yet bound, and Ragnarok had not yet occurred.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »

This being greece, it's drawn national extremists, though I'm not sure how many.

I'm pretty sure most ultra-nationalists in Greece such as Golden Dawn don't associate themselves with neo-paganism. They're too busy getting fellated by the church, anyway.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »

What does the Golden Dawn have to do with nationalism?  A few of my buddies are into that and they're not particularly fascist.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth