Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wall Damage and YOU!  (Read 2092 times)

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
Wall Damage and YOU!
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »

This is a suggestion in three parts. Each part relates to the central theme of tile damage.

Part 1: Cracked Up
The first part of the suggestion is giving each tile a damage value. With each impact, the tile's integrity decreases
It goes from nothing, to cracked to fractured tocrumbling and then it disintegrates, leaving behind it's materials

Part 2: Simply Smashing
What makes these impacts? Flying objects, of course. The objects' momentum is compared to the strength of the material. As far as I know, the variables to determine the momentum are in the raws already.

Part 3: Gonna' Go Steppin'
I propose a new tag for the raws. [HARDSTEPS : step force in joules] Each value increases the amount of numerical damage each step does. Creatures with this tag create a trail of cracks behind them, and will shatter blocks as well.

Tell me what you think, and please improve upon my ideas
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Damage and YOU!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

I'd give walls more levels of damaged, something like 7 rather than 3, I like this idea though, it would allow for battering rams.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »

Can you think of more. Remember, each one needs a color
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »

Walls already take damage. Next time you send a novice miner out, watch the wall he's striking. That's actually damage being simulated, believe it or not. The trouble is, mining is the only thing that does it as of yet. But it won't be long before Toady adds more. ("long" in the scheme of things.)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

Doing Well in White
Slightly Stricken Silver
Not Good Gray
Broken Black
Royally Screwed Red
Major Mess-Up Maroon
Yielding Yellow
Oh No Olive
Not Likely Lime
Gradually Weakening Green
Abysmal Aqua
Terrible Teal
Brick-Breaking Blue
Not Normal Navy
You're Fucked Fuchsia
Practically Doomed Purple
My wooden badge was delicious.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 06:27:14 pm »

I think fuchsia is my favorite one.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »

Same.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

How do you handle damage color code and materiel color code?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

How do you handle damage color code and materiel color code?
Y'don't. DF has 16 colors, and one of them's used for the background. It's not Toady's way, anyway. His way is to assign adjectives to things. I can't see something like this ever taking hold.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:43 pm »

I think I'd prefer it if walls were more than one tile thick and damage levels are simulated by other levels being destroyed. That way you could make wall design much more interesting. if you want  a nine tile thick wall you could either have nine tiles or three tiles, lava(or dragons), three tiles. This way it would be visual and won't look like disneys version of magic mushrooms. And be pretty customisable. Having secret passageways in walls you could use to hide defenders and traps for when that section is breached, sally ports maybe.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »

You can actually do that right now... Just build walls thicker than one tile. Nine tiles thick with tunnels? Easily done. When Toady gets around to adding more to sieges, all that other stuff will be viable. Most people only build them one tile thick right now because it's all that makes sense. When walls can be destroyed, it won't be.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:56 am »

I think I'd prefer it if walls were more than one tile thick and damage levels are simulated by other levels being destroyed. That way you could make wall design much more interesting. if you want  a nine tile thick wall you could either have nine tiles or three tiles, lava(or dragons), three tiles. This way it would be visual and won't look like disneys version of magic mushrooms. And be pretty customisable. Having secret passageways in walls you could use to hide defenders and traps for when that section is breached, sally ports maybe.

That's all about how hard it is to destroy a wall.  If they can mine through it, walls are kind of useless, but a battering ram which slowly breaks a wall would make it interesting.  A miners pick even through 9 levels of wall would take very little time.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

Remember that walls and the stuff miners swing picks at is exactly the same stuff. It's all rock. I don't think walls should magically be stronger, just because they're walls. If anything, they ought to be weaker, though I do think that block walls ought to be stronger than rough walls.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »

Remember that walls and the stuff miners swing picks at is exactly the same stuff. It's all rock. I don't think walls should magically be stronger, just because they're walls. If anything, they ought to be weaker, though I do think that block walls ought to be stronger than rough walls.
Should depend on the stone type really.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »

Yea. This all loops back to the mining revamp. You should also be able to use bars to reinforce walls.
Pages: [1] 2