Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: How would space combat really work?  (Read 7338 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would space combat really work?
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »

No mirrors are 100% efficient. When the lasers aimed at you are tighter than the head of a pin and pack several megatons it's gonna shatter your mirror even if it's a little bit of energy that gets through.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:27:44 pm by Flare »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »

If we're messing with spacetime, then a 100% "mirror" would probably be possible. It'd be more bending the light back around in a U shape than reflecting it, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »

If we're messing with spacetime, then a 100% "mirror" would probably be possible. It'd be more bending the light back around in a U shape than reflecting it, though.
Refractor-pong.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »

Why would we be using lasers, though? Yeah, they're light speed fast, but they're energy-inefficient, and an enemy ship with a railgun and FTL could just pop up within a distance you couldn't reliably dodge the shot and kill your ship, probably with a weaker reactor. Or, they could take several shots with the railgun for every one you could take with the laser.

Speaking of just putting your ship where you want it with FTL, most conventional sensors wouldn't even work against a ship going faster than light. Space war might just end up being a game of prediction and outmaneuvering.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:42 am »

Why would we be using lasers, though? Yeah, they're light speed fast, but they're energy-inefficient, and an enemy ship with a railgun and FTL could just pop up within a distance you couldn't reliably dodge the shot and kill your ship, probably with a weaker reactor. Or, they could take several shots with the railgun for every one you could take with the laser.

That's assuming FTL exists though, as per the OP and the title might suggest, this is theoretically what space combat would look like. Things like FTL, tractor beams, gravatics control need to be kept at a minimum if not entirely thrown out to keep the area of speculation small enough to handle.

I guess people like lasers because it's the fastest delivery system that we have, and thus saves a lot of headache that a conventional projectile system might throw up during the targeting process. When the distance is in the hundreds of thousands of kilometers and more, hitting things understandably become incredibly hard, especially when both targets are moving under their own power.

Speaking of just putting your ship where you want it with FTL, most conventional sensors wouldn't even work against a ship going faster than light. Space war might just end up being a game of prediction and outmaneuvering.

That depends on a very specific kind of sci-fi FTL.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:15:56 am by Flare »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:55 am »

No, it wouldn't. All the information the sensors are picking up from the FTL ship is traveling at the speed of light. If said ship is heading towards you faster than the speed of light, I'm pretty sure that means that the signals are moving slower than the target.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2012, 01:39:14 am »

Unless we intentionally go out of our way to make space battles as dogfighty as they are in the movies (and I wouldn't put that past us) I imagine it would be a fairly dull affair, with lots of targeting computers and lobbing volleys at each other from absurd distances.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2012, 01:42:27 am »

No, it wouldn't. All the information the sensors are picking up from the FTL ship is traveling at the speed of light. If said ship is heading towards you faster than the speed of light, I'm pretty sure that means that the signals are moving slower than the target.

Unless of course, DUN DUN DUN your FTL physics allow for FTL travel of data.

In any case, I don't think we need to incorporate FTL, we've very little work at the moment that would suggest that it's possible, and as a plot device this thread isn't about designing easy to write stories in settings that would captivate readers :P.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:44:30 am by Flare »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2012, 01:43:43 am »

Unless of course, DUN DUN DUN your FTL physics allow for FTL travel of data.
This of course brings us back to the same problem. It's REALLY hard to say without knowing a little about the physics before hand.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2012, 09:30:46 am »

That's interesting, all this talk about FTL and sensors made me wonder how the lightwave equivalent of breaking the sound barrier would look like. Isn't it like infinite blue shift when you go at the speed of light, you'd produce lightwaves with infinitismal wavelength.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:20 am »

That's interesting, all this talk about FTL and sensors made me wonder how the lightwave equivalent of breaking the sound barrier would look like. Isn't it like infinite blue shift when you go at the speed of light, you'd produce lightwaves with infinitismal wavelength.
Depends on how the FTL works. With the Alcubierre drive being talked about in another thread, from within you'd see a bubble of normal space, surrounded by a wall of varying EM spectrum. Depending on the degree of compression, the leading edge would be blue-shifted beyond the visible spectrum and would also potentially start generating Hawking radiation if the edge becomes sufficiently compressed to generate a singularity. As the edge of the bubble curved around to the equilibrium points directly perpendicular to the ship, you'd see a rainbow effect of outside light shifting back down to normal. Then the opposite for the trailing edge, red-shifting down into infrared and eventually radio noise.

From the outside, I have no solid idea what it would look like. I'm guessing the bubble would warp light passing through it, but I'm not sure of the geometries involved, which would also depend on the angle you're viewing it from. I'm guessing from an oncoming POV, it would seem less bubble-like and more like a blue, slightly convex wall. From the trailing POV, it would be a long, stretched-out reddish comet shape?

EDIT: One interesting bit would be that *everything* blue-shifts and red-shifts, so for instance as you accelerated you'd start seeing the background infrared and microwave radiation as visible light in the direction of travel, and UV and X-rays as visible light behind you.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:26:02 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

Photonic booms, or Cherenkov Radiation. They actually happen in real life, because c is the speed of light in a vacuum, not necessarily in other media. Thus, when, say, an electron is moving faster than a photon would in that medium, you get a flash of light.
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]