Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ridiculous Computer Slowness. (solved)  (Read 2085 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Computer Slowness. (solved)
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

Ridiculous meaning "it took me five minutes to get to this subforum from DF Fortress Discussion and ten more to get this message typed through all the lag." I know it's not a browser issue because I've tried closing Firefox, but to no avail. EVERYTHING moves slowly, and the "busy" light on the laptop is solid white instead of flickering. I've checked the task manager, but it claims that the CPU has only about 1-5% use, as if the thing that's slowing everything down isn't using any part of the processor. Memory isn't an issue either, since it hovers around 35% regardless of lag. So... Help?

Spoiler: Computer Info (click to show/hide)
Let me know if you need more info.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:05:14 pm by Argonnek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Computer Slowness.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:59:09 am »

I recommend running a virusscan with malwarebytes.
If that turns up nothing, use superantispyware.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »

Yeah, I would do some Virus/Spyware/Malware/etc. scans.
Sounds like your computer has the E-clap, honestly.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

so this is a laptop, one thing i would check is go to the system monitor through the task manager and check hard drive activity, report what you find.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:56 am »

I should have mentioned this earlier: This lag only goes on for a while after startup. After a while, it stops being laggy and functions normally.

Also, I did a scan with (the trial version of) Superantispyware and it killed a trojan that  I never opened and several tracking cookies.

Tellemurius: I'll be sure to do that next time I reboot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:48:20 am »

I personally like to do a format of the disc and a clean install every few years. I keep a second external hard drive with backups of all my documents, music, movies and pictures so all I lose is the crapware that I've collected.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:30 am »

Alright, I checked the resource monitor after starting up and I saw:
The Highest Active Time for the Disk is much higher than normal (reaching 80-100%) while the CPU remains within the 1-10% range.
The graphs on the right of the disk tab are chaotic and often completely full - though keep in mind I have no idea how to read these things.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 11:58:40 am »

How long's it been since you defragged your hard drive? How full is it?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »

OK, here is how I find out some of the stuff running at startup.  As soon as you boot, log into windows as fast as you can, then fire up Task Manager immediately.  Go to the Processes tab and click on the CPU label - twice I think, to sort by CPU usage descending.  Now any process that's using CPU will be at the top of the list.  Watch Task Manager for a few minutes and see what's running - it's a little tricky 'cause a lot of services are starting, but you might be able to spot a real hog or something that you don't want running at startup.   I go through and google each thing I don't recognize and find out what it is. 

Some of the things are a judgment call - a lot of antivirus programs will do anything from a quick scan of the boot sector and registry up to the whole windows directory or even more - *that* can take a while and it grinds on the disk, but it protects you at least a little.  Or a lot of things stick themselves in there to check for updates.  Oh make sure you're not running 2 different resident anti-virus programs, that will CRUSH your performance.

The next step up from eyeballing what's running is to get lists of what's running at startup, HijackThis from Trend Micro is pretty good (but has some learning curve), I think SpyBot Search&Destroy had a fairly decent one, and SuperAntiSpyware too iirc.  Argh I just looked at mine, I see AVG (the antivirus I've been running) has been installing more and more stuff at startup - maybe time to switch again, each antivirus seems to go through sucky periods where it's more annoying than helpful :(

Since it looks like something's hitting the disk hard from the way you describe it, the next thing to do is to configure Task Manager to show disk usage stats and then sort on those.  Depending on which version of Windows you have, it will probably be something under "Options" or "View"  like "Select Columns" - Page Fault Delta, I/O Reads, I/O Writes can be interesting to look at, watch your startup sorting on each of those columns and see if something looks like it's doing a suspiciously large amount of work...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 12:38:10 pm »

Usually it acts the inverse of what you describe (goes slow after a while, rather than gets faster), but laptops are also prone to fluff-inhalation into their narrow air-cooling ducts and fans, especially if used on trousered laps, tablecloths, bedspreads, sofa cushions.

However, my best guess is electronic gunk (or, worse, malware) slowing things down that a good old re-install-from-scratch  might help with, if you're up to it, but that's already been covered.

The rest of what I was typing is largely a re-hash of what's already been said, so edited back out again.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »

The Highest Active Time for the Disk is much higher than normal (reaching 80-100%) while the CPU remains within the 1-10% range.
The graphs on the right of the disk tab are chaotic and often completely full - though keep in mind I have no idea how to read these things.
thats fine, go to the disk activity and check the processes for total bytes being used. Processes don't need to eat the cpu when transferring data and im suspecting two things doing this
a: a malware
b: windows system restore snapshot
just give me the process name and ill check it out

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »

You could download Process Explorer from Microsoft.  Its basically a more avanced Task Manager and lets you see better whats using system time.

Also, if you run "msconfig"  How many things are in the startup tab?  Anything in there thats not needed to run all the time from startup?

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »

Install and use this, it's free and actually pretty great:

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 07:13:27 pm »

thats fine, go to the disk activity and check the processes for total bytes being used. Processes don't need to eat the cpu when transferring data and im suspecting two things doing this
a: a malware
b: windows system restore snapshot
just give me the process name and ill check it out
Alright, the biggest disk hog is SASCore.exe, and it was using up to 15 million B/sec for a moment there, but it was all read and no write. Another one appears to be C:\pagefile.sys, which is all write and no read.

How long's it been since you defragged your hard drive? How full is it?
After my last post, I checked the defragger and had it analyze the disk. 0% fragmentation. I also have over 150 GB of empty space available.

Edit: After running the scan with SuperAntiSpyware, I notice that my computer is starting up a bit faster. Maybe it knows I'm on to it...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:17:03 pm by Argonnek »

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »

SAScore is superantispyware.

Maybe best to disable it from startup as you only really need it when running a scan.

Unless its your only Antivirus, otherwise 2x things are doing same thing at same time, sas and another installed antivirus.
Pages: [1] 2