Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83632 times)

Argantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate 1.0 and RandCreatures 0.2.0 (RandCreatures updated)
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »

This program may be my favorite new toy, along with the random plant generator mod and this, It's just sorta addicting.

New favorite way to entertain myself - taking variously generated civ-enabled races, saving them on a file, and then pitting them against eachother in the arena.

And then taking the victor, and doing Dwarf Fortress with them. One question though - is it me or is gabbro the only stone type used by the program to use as a tissue type (aside from chitin), no metals (No lead skinned, 6 armed, 2 tusked aristocrats?) or other stone types (radioactive pitchblend monsters roaming the land for people to strangle)?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »

So this is all good and functional? I may have to play around with it :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »

Argantyr - You're correct: gabbro is the only stone type it uses. It wasn't something I really considered randomizing, although I don't actually have anything against it. I just didn't think about it. I personally don't like the idea of metallic creatures, though, because then you're basically genning something for yourself that you can't possibly defeat - at least, not without adamantine. Chitin isn't stone, though - and Toady's version of it is incredibly weak. When I made the Scythods (different mod entirely), I had to create my own chitin raws just to make them worth fighting. I do like the idea of pitchblende, though, just for the laughs... But, unfortunately, pitchblende in DF isn't radioactive.

CognitiveDissonance - Yeah, it's completely functional. :) Play with it at your own risk. (besides the language generator, that's perfectly safe.)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Argantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »

Argantyr - You're correct: gabbro is the only stone type it uses. It wasn't something I really considered randomizing, although I don't actually have anything against it. I just didn't think about it. I personally don't like the idea of metallic creatures, though, because then you're basically genning something for yourself that you can't possibly defeat - at least, not without adamantine. Chitin isn't stone, though - and Toady's version of it is incredibly weak. When I made the Scythods (different mod entirely), I had to create my own chitin raws just to make them worth fighting. I do like the idea of pitchblende, though, just for the laughs... But, unfortunately, pitchblende in DF isn't radioactive.

CognitiveDissonance - Yeah, it's completely functional. :) Play with it at your own risk. (besides the language generator, that's perfectly safe.)

I'll agree that metal on normal creatures would be difficult, but then again this is the same game where dying seems to be an inevitability. But then again, could save it for megabeasts, no? I havn't toyed around too much with metal tissue, I wonder if it could be used to gen more than just the whole body...like iron flesh, but squishy flesh underneath? I would however be far more interested in adding stone types, even if associated with normal beasties - just imagine a Baron's personal quarters decorated with the statue-like remains of a 6 headed, tusk-creature with 4 arms, each armed with two fingers each with a slug-like pseudofoot for their lower body with flesh made out of some dense type of stone that probably took weeks of hauling to set it up.

Before of course, the room was flooded by lava due to ominous circumstances. I don't know, maybe in the future if you were still interested, you could make some basic menu to turn some randomization features on and off. Like Civs could be toggled off, on, or both, exotic features could give you the chance to have abstract critters that Lovecraft would approve of, stone, wood and metal could each be toggled (but have their own weighted generation values).

I'd possibly try a hand at modifying the file - but I have a hard enough time modding up a civilization based on the Genesis mods old Scavengers race, so I'll leave the codifying to the expert here.

But beyond all that, I love the results I get sometimes...alot of the time. Sometimes I get monsters that the generator has no clue how to describe.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I think that a lot of metals SHOULD have syndromes attatched, perhaps special ones that could be averted through some sort of tag, enabling perhaps evil races to use them without suffering (Though woe to any human or dwarf that is assaulted by the Goblin's whip of lead with it's slow, painful, lead-poison-death syndrome. XD
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:51:51 pm by Argantyr »

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

I found this just recently and have run some games with it, and just now recently managed to cage my first ''Collhe'' (random creature). I had high hopes to start taming and breeding this wonderful creation, but despite finding a pet value in the raws, couldn't do either.

Which tag would I have to add to make the animal tame-able and is the fact that it isn't a feature, a bug or an oversight(as in; do some get the ''correct'' tame-able tags, and some don't, or was this not a part of the initial aim of the tool?)

I've always aimed to do a roleplaying breeding fortress and this tool seemed to make that a 1000 times cooler, just kinda weary of having to manually edit 700 raws! Also; thanks lots for making it, so far besides the breeding thing it's worked wonders.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »

I found this just recently and have run some games with it, and just now recently managed to cage my first ''Collhe'' (random creature). I had high hopes to start taming and breeding this wonderful creation, but despite finding a pet value in the raws, couldn't do either.

Which tag would I have to add to make the animal tame-able and is the fact that it isn't a feature, a bug or an oversight(as in; do some get the ''correct'' tame-able tags, and some don't, or was this not a part of the initial aim of the tool?)

I've always aimed to do a roleplaying breeding fortress and this tool seemed to make that a 1000 times cooler, just kinda weary of having to manually edit 700 raws! Also; thanks lots for making it, so far besides the breeding thing it's worked wonders.
You can edit Randomdat.txt in your Raw/Objects folder to make it work... I'm not sure why it wouldn't let you tame it with the pet value, though. If you could post the raws for the particular creature, I might be able to figure it out.
To force the pet tag onto all of the creatures, open Randomdat.txt and scroll down to the second part, where it's defining the variables for the creature tokens. "((TAG DATA))" is about when this starts.
If you want megabeasts capable of being trained, add ";M" to the end of each of the following:
Code: [Select]
![PET_EXOTIC];1000
![TRAINABLE];1000
If you're fine with leaving megabeasts as they are, just copy-paste that in there... I would suggest immediately following:
![WEBIMMUNE];18
   verb:cannot get caught in webs
Just so that nothing gets messed up. The 1000 gives it a 100% chance of being given to a creature. Then, just gen new raws and it should work. As you're adding tags I kept out of there for a reason, you may wind up with a few weird creatures. =P But I'll work on that if you find any issues.

At Argantyr:
But beyond all that, I love the results I get sometimes...alot of the time. Sometimes I get monsters that the generator has no clue how to describe.
If you get creatures that the generator can't describe (e.g. it says "An unknown, randomly generated creature" or something like that), send me the raws and I'll try to teach it to keep from doing that again. :P I thought I got all of those out of there, but I guess not. It's absurdly difficult to accurately describe a creature with just a few short sentences. Toady gets around it by mainly using creatures that are well-known - all you really need is the name, and maybe the short description will jog your memory if you can't recall whatever it is right away.
I'll agree that metal on normal creatures would be difficult, but then again this is the same game where dying seems to be an inevitability. But then again, could save it for megabeasts, no? I havn't toyed around too much with metal tissue, I wonder if it could be used to gen more than just the whole body...like iron flesh, but squishy flesh underneath? I would however be far more interested in adding stone types, even if associated with normal beasties - just imagine a Baron's personal quarters decorated with the statue-like remains of a 6 headed, tusk-creature with 4 arms, each armed with two fingers each with a slug-like pseudofoot for their lower body with flesh made out of some dense type of stone that probably took weeks of hauling to set it up.
A lot of this would be really difficult to do. :P Megabeasts can already be bronze (like a bronze colossus sort of thing), but creatures are limited to gabbro. I could make them out of metal, and I realize this would increase the game's difficulty... Creatures can be up to whale or dragon size, I think - it's rare to get one that large, but it's possible. If you had one of those made out of steel, and the generator generated them in packs of five, or, Armok forbid, ten... And they were automatically hostile... you would be screwed, plain and simple. I was trying to avoid this. :P I do like the idea of stone creatures dropping statues, however. I could look into that.

Before of course, the room was flooded by lava due to ominous circumstances. I don't know, maybe in the future if you were still interested, you could make some basic menu to turn some randomization features on and off. Like Civs could be toggled off, on, or both, exotic features could give you the chance to have abstract critters that Lovecraft would approve of, stone, wood and metal could each be toggled (but have their own weighted generation values).
This is possible. Really, the language I used is pretty much worthless for it (I didn't expect it to get too much attention, so I was lazy and used an easy one) - I'd probably have to rewrite it in another language. But it's possible.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I think that a lot of metals SHOULD have syndromes attatched, perhaps special ones that could be averted through some sort of tag, enabling perhaps evil races to use them without suffering (Though woe to any human or dwarf that is assaulted by the Goblin's whip of lead with it's slow, painful, lead-poison-death syndrome. XD
Syndromes are coming, when I get the time for it. I've been very busy lately. One thing I don't want the syndromes to do is guarantee an instant death, because it's no fun encountering something in the wilderness that can oneshot you with a glancing blow to your pinky. :P I mean... I guess it's "Fun", but it would be a real game-breaker. I have a decent amount of experience with syndromes, I think - I once modified Mr Frog's radiation mod to randomize the effects - basically, savage regions were marked as "radioactive", and if you settled there your dwarves would mutate with wonderfully grotesque effects. I don't want to put something like that in here, but at least I have a little knowledge on it, even if I'm a tad rusty. But no - syndromes are something I would enjoy putting in.

rudhcairiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2013, 02:38:15 am »

This mod is a wonderful thing and I am eagerly looking forward to new creatures showing up. But in my perusal of the randomly generated ones, I found this little guy, so here are his raws:

[CREATURE:CREATURE_1PQNXFFSV_RC]
[NAME:egasor:egasors:egasor]
[DESCRIPTION:An unrecognized, randomly-generated creature.]
[COLOR:5:0:0]
[CASTE_NAME:egasor:egasors:egasor]
[CREATURE_TILE:'e']
[PREFSTRING:mouths]
[NATURAL][LARGE_ROAMING]
[PETVALUE:360]
[NOBREATHE]
[BIOME:ANY_DESERT]
[BIOME:SWAMP_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
[BODY:HUMANOID_FLIER:MOUTH:NOSE:BRAIN:THROAT:2LUNGS:ORGANS:SPINE:2WINGS:NECK:2TOES:HEART:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_FANGS:GUTS:BODY_EYE:2EARS:5TOES:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:SKULL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:CARTILAGE]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOOTH:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:CARTILAGE]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:TOOTH:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:NONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RELSIZES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[SPEED:1600]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:15]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:477]
[BODY_SIZE:13:0:7152]
[MAXAGE:26:50]
[CHILD:7]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:GRASP]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:punch:punches]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[HOMEOTHERM:10055]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:538]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GOLD:1:1
[TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eye:SINGULAR]

Ninjamestari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2013, 07:19:51 am »

Newb question:

Can I make my dwarves use a language generated by LangCreate?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:13 pm »

Been playing with this and I think it's a neat idea.  I'll have to play with the randdat.txt and see what that's all about.  Vanilla of the creature generation seems a little unforgiving with how often it assigns the pet_exotic tag.  Seems to be around 1% of the time.  Not sure if this was intended or not.

I've also noticed that on creature that do have the pet_exotic tag, they often get it assigned more than once.  Kinda odd.

EDIT:  Ahh, think I found at least part of the issue.  Neither of the pet tags don't seem to exist anywhere in the dat file, so unless they're hard coded, nothing should be tamable by default.  Not sure how I'm even getting creatures with pet tags, so there must be some default settings that are hard-coded.

I think as a nice work-around for those who want a larger percentage of the creatures to be tamable, changing the intelligence check to have a large chance of pulling in the pet_exotic tag. It'll look kinda like this:

![PET_EXOTIC];650
?[PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE];100
?[PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE][MOUNT_EXOTIC];50

Of course tweaking them to whatever percentages you feel is right.  Given that such a large percentage of creatures in the vanilla game are at least tamable, my feeling is that 75% is fair.  10% trainable might be a little generous, so scaling that back to 5% might be better.

EDIT EDIT:  That's not really working how I'd like.  Think I'll play around in the KPL and see if I can just add a check late in the creature creation that removes any pet tags if any of the intelligent tags exist.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: AHA!  Found the issue by peaking in the KPL.  Looks like tamability is only set to megabeasts and semi_megabeasts, but not otherwise checked in the hard code other than to remove it from sentient creatures.  Since it's also not in the randdata.txt file by default, the flag will never be populated to normal creatures.

Since sentient creatures automatically get the taming flags removed, that simplifies things greatly, so I adjusted the bits above.

Now to see if I can figure out why the program crashes every time it tries to generate a civilization.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:57:34 pm by Tacomagic »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2013, 10:53:51 am »

Sorry about the delayed response - I lost access for a while.

This mod is a wonderful thing and I am eagerly looking forward to new creatures showing up. But in my perusal of the randomly generated ones, I found this little guy, so here are his raws:
-snip-
Thanks! I'll be able to add a few new lines here and there to try to prevent this from happening again. Basically it means it added too many parts that didn't have descriptions attached to them, and wasn't left with enough ways to describe the creature.

Newb question:

Can I make my dwarves use a language generated by LangCreate?
Definitely, without a doubt. It's very simple, really - take the language you gen and replace the regular dwarf language file with it.

Been playing with this and I think it's a neat idea.  I'll have to play with the randdat.txt and see what that's all about.  Vanilla of the creature generation seems a little unforgiving with how often it assigns the pet_exotic tag.  Seems to be around 1% of the time.  Not sure if this was intended or not.

I've also noticed that on creature that do have the pet_exotic tag, they often get it assigned more than once.  Kinda odd.

EDIT:  Ahh, think I found at least part of the issue.  Neither of the pet tags don't seem to exist anywhere in the dat file, so unless they're hard coded, nothing should be tamable by default.  Not sure how I'm even getting creatures with pet tags, so there must be some default settings that are hard-coded.

I think as a nice work-around for those who want a larger percentage of the creatures to be tamable, changing the intelligence check to have a large chance of pulling in the pet_exotic tag. It'll look kinda like this:

![PET_EXOTIC];650
?[PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE];100
?[PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE][MOUNT_EXOTIC];50

Of course tweaking them to whatever percentages you feel is right.  Given that such a large percentage of creatures in the vanilla game are at least tamable, my feeling is that 75% is fair.  10% trainable might be a little generous, so scaling that back to 5% might be better.

EDIT EDIT:  That's not really working how I'd like.  Think I'll play around in the KPL and see if I can just add a check late in the creature creation that removes any pet tags if any of the intelligent tags exist.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: AHA!  Found the issue by peaking in the KPL.  Looks like tamability is only set to megabeasts and semi_megabeasts, but not otherwise checked in the hard code other than to remove it from sentient creatures.  Since it's also not in the randdata.txt file by default, the flag will never be populated to normal creatures.

Since sentient creatures automatically get the taming flags removed, that simplifies things greatly, so I adjusted the bits above.

Now to see if I can figure out why the program crashes every time it tries to generate a civilization.
For poking around in the *.kpl file, you have my respect. :P +1 to you, my friend. However, the *.kpl isn't a script - just the source code. The program itself runs without it and doesn't actually need it at all, so changing stuff in it won't help much... I applaud you all the same, though.

So, if I understand what you're saying right, it's impossible to tame most creatures?  ??? That's a bit surprising to me, as I seem to recall making sure that you could by testing it myself... I'll have to look into it. I also thought that it was possible to add the tags in the randdat.txt file.

As to the crashing civs, I'd say you extracted the program into the wrong folder. It needs to be extracted into the raws folder (not a folder in the raws folder, but the raws folder) so that it can read from the language symbol file.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:31 am »

Umm, I'm having an issue that the program crashes when a civ-worthy creature is made. :/
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2013, 04:55:53 am »

Having the issue sculleywr described, where it crashes when an entity-critter is made

Also, I'd love it if you included some way to force it to gen mega/semimegabeasts, just so I can fill those out - got lots of normal critters now thanks to this!  Neat toy.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:52 am »

From my last post:
As to the crashing civs, I'd say you extracted the program into the wrong folder. It needs to be extracted into the raws folder (not a folder in the raws folder, but the raws folder) so that it can read from the language symbol file.

In other words, extract the files themselves into the raws. The txts should be placed with the other txts in the raws, as should the exe. This is so that they can be read ingame, AND so that the program can read from the language_SYM.txt file. It uses it to gen civ languages. If you do it right, all you have to do is run the program and everything gets put in the right place.

As to the mega/semimegabeasts - that could be done pretty easily - I'll add it to the next version.

Argantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »

I actually had that problem myself, the reason why it crashed for me was because I thought the Race generator was a stand alone deal, and not requiring the language generator.

Also, where do you want those raws, Talvieno? Just genned up 1000 race entities, and got a few for you to look at?

howitended

• Bay Watcher
  • Real men wear pink
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:02 pm »

I want to try this, but my antivirus insists there's a trojan in it.  ???
I'd assume a false-positive but it's still a deterrent.
They built this whole neighborhood out of wood, out of wood
I guess I'll still be around when they burn, burn it down
I will be standing around when they burn it down

Here in the Museum of Idiots
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17