Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83653 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (Now with links)
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2013, 01:01:27 am »

It's possible that changing your system locale (applocale can do it easily) could fix that, but I'm not 100% sure. All of my tooltips are Japanese, and I can't read them, but I can run Danmakufu.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:32 am »

Okay, if it IS an OS issue, then I can work around it by simply rounding the number off. Not an issue at all. I'm spending the morning doing bugfixes and feature additions on DFRandCreatures. Bugs fixed so far:
 - Entities will need to be able to hold objects
 - Entities will need to be able to open doors
 - "Frozen FOIdlISjf blood" shouldn't be a problem after the next version - thanks, Meph
 - The program will automatically round decimal numbers, so OS won't be an issue (unless you're using Wine - sorry, MasterMorality)
 - You'll be able to set whether entities have clothes or not, using Entitydat.txt. It'll ask you your preference the first time you run the utility.

As a little bonus, I extracted some of the loose tag data and put it into an editable txt for customization purposes. Small sample:
![AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE];7
   desc:few natural predators
   pref:peacefulness
![ADOPTS_OWNER];4
   pref:aloofness
![AMBUSHPREDATOR];4
   pref:mystery
   verb:waits for its prey to pass before striking
![AMPHIBIOUS];112
   verb:is at home both in water and on land
![BONECARN];177
   verb;feigns death until a victim passes by:likes to gnaw on old bones:eats the bones of the dead
   pref:savage ways:primitive habits
![BUILDINGDESTROYER:1];72
?[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2];18
![INTELLIGENT];79
   pref:distinct culture
   verb:is very intelligent
?[CAN_LEARN][SLOW_LEARNER];25
?[CAN_LEARN];72
   adj:intelligent
   verb:likes learning new things
! - ? - ? represents if/then/else statements (i.e it only adds one of the list, if any at all)
! represents the tag to be added, the number following the semicolon is the chance of it being added (from 1 to 1000)
adj/pref/verb/noun/desc adds to the prefstring/description values. The typical creature's description is genned like this:
A [ADJECTIVE], [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] with [DESC] and [DESC]. It [VERB] and [VERB].
    so you'll have a little more control over the creature descriptions, in addition to being able to choose the tag frequency. You could delete a particular tag entirely if you wanted by simply deleting the entry. However, a creature will need [CANOPENDOORS], [EQUIPS], [INTELLIGENT], and hands in order to become an entity.

I'm still working on everything, but that's what I've done so far.

Edit: Also, new poll.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:15:30 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:06 am »

Great, I'm looking forward to the next version!

I have a bug report on a creature, the poor kantourul-lus below suffocated immediately after entering the map, their description says they have no mouths, but they probably need oxygen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the poll: I don't think regular creatures should get firebreath or syndromes, at least not more commonly than vanilla creatures. Semi megabeasts however could be a bit more nasty.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:43:56 am by Bralbaard »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:37 am »

The issue is that they have lungs, no brain, and are lacking NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT/NOTHOUGHT, which also (in addition to other things) disable the need for air, though the magmawiki doesn't say it. I apparently took out the line of code that adds NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT if the creature is lacking a brain, which is leading to the error. This is on the list to be fixed, no worries. :P Slink found it first, if I remember right. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Re:Poll -
    No, I would make it just as rare as the vanilla creatures. Everything is currently set to about the same frequency - the percentage of DFRandCreatures-created grazers matches the percentage of vanilla grazers, for example. You would only see a very relative few creatures spraying fireballs like imps, or poisoning you to within an inch of your life.
    As to semi-megabeasts, I think it's safe to say they'd get syndromes more frequently than regular creatures, but I would keep it sane. Or possibly give you a setting to change the syndrome power/frequency, I don't know. The possibilities are (almost) limitless.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:14:40 am by Talvieno »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2013, 11:35:03 am »

I feel like syndromes should be one of the last things you do, just because of how easy it is to write a syndrome and have it, oops, surprise, not work properly. For any number of reasons. x_x
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »

This is everything I have ever wanted. Thank you, Talvieno!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:34 pm »

I feel like syndromes should be one of the last things you do, just because of how easy it is to write a syndrome and have it, oops, surprise, not work properly. For any number of reasons. x_x
That won't be an issue. This isn't the first random generator I've made for DF - the previous one created random "radiation zones" on the map where dwarves could receive any number of symptoms of "radiation sickness" (of a less realistic variety). Syndromes were very heavily modded in there, and the only issue I got was from someone saying they didn't like how dwarves could randomly become vampires on rare occasions. (The person didn't like vampires to begin with.)

This is everything I have ever wanted. Thank you, Talvieno!
And thank you for the encouragement!

I've continued the debugging spree, and gotten sidetracked a little with languages. LangCreate and RandCreatures will be merged into one (I'm renaming them to disassociate the former from DFLang). Civs generated with RandCreatures will have unique, randomly-generated languages. The pros: Everything will be a LOT more flavorful, as they won't all get stuck with Dwarven as their default language. The cons: the program takes 2 to 5 minutes instead of just 30 seconds. Is it worth it, do you think?

Also, as per Meph's suggestion, clothing will be optional now. You can take what you like from that statement.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:45:36 pm by Talvieno »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »

A progress indicator would be good if that's doable with the current framework. I get worried if I see no activity for five minutes.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:59 pm »

A progress indicator would be good if that's doable with the current framework. I get worried if I see no activity for five minutes.
Already taken care of. It'll show you what's it's doing as it does it (to an extent - I don't want to bog the thing down from an overactive progress bar). I don't like looking at apparently-frozen programs, either.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 10:40:54 pm »

Already taken care of. It'll show you what's it's doing as it does it (to an extent - I don't want to bog the thing down from an overactive progress bar). I don't like looking at apparently-frozen programs, either.

Perhaps possible to display the amount of passes it's doing in text, ie. 4 creatures + lang done / 540

It doesn't have to be ultra accurate, just so the user knows things are happening :P

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:51 am »

That's about what I figured. How's this?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (now with a new poll)
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:04 pm »

TALVI YOU UNHOLY GENIOUS
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:11 pm »

Looks great, Talvi! :D

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »

Makes for a !!FUN!! fort, it does. Better for adventures, but still, !!FUN!! is had by all!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:14 am »

TALVI YOU UNHOLY GENIOUS
Lol, Heyaa, BFEL! Glad you like it.

Looks great, Talvi! :D
I'll keep it that way, then.

Makes for a !!FUN!! fort, it does. Better for adventures, but still, !!FUN!! is had by all!
Hmm... Better for adventures? I could add a separate set of settings for dwarf mode, if necessary... What would you suggest I change to make it better suited for fortresses?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17