Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83604 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (Now with links)
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:43 am »

We could always imagine the second head is attached to whatever it's under. That works -some- of the time, but if it's solveable, then go for it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

I couldn't help it - I had to draw that... thing. Very roughly, in about fifteen minutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I got it right...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 06:53:34 am »

So I just generated a language using

'spawn,holistic,spear,breaker,fischer,draignean,splint,vanya,talvi,cavy' as control words. It came up with some hilarious ones, such as bear_noun being 'faint', and beast translating as 'cognac'. It ended up sounding very... elven, I suppose because of the surfeit of i and y.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:38 am »

Having some trouble with DFLangCreate. I've tried everything but whenever I click to generate a language it just sits there forever and doesn't do anything. Followed the instructions to the letter. I have to force it closed. Using Windows 7.

Nevermind. I just realized you can't use spaces.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:23:20 am by Lemunde »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 11:17:16 am »

Language creation is so much fun! Thanks a lot!  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

AS TO THE TWO-HEADED CREATURE:
    I'm not going to remove two-headed creatures completely, which is what it would take for the head to generate at the top of the list, so that'll stay as it is. I value my randomness, and sacrificing all oddities so that all "randomly generated" creatures look like creatures that already exist ingame is not something I'd be willing to do... I don't consider it negotiable... unless, of course, someone can convince me to spend the time necessary to write up a new raw file, and more specifically, convince me that meshing with other mods isn't such a great idea.
Well it won't stop making two-headed creatures completely, since it could still roll a [BODY:HUMANOID_2HEAD] or something similar, just the labeling and listing would be correct.

Also, are you implying that making a new raw file would make it incompatible with other mods? Because you could just make it create a body_raw of its own, separate from the default one, and therefore avoid all compatibility issues altogether. That's what the other creature generator did as well, I think.
Ah, even if it still has HUMANOID_2HEAD, you lose all chance of creatures generating with their heads being dissimilar (which I value for its randomness).
    Lots of modders (particularly ones that aim to change the gameplay experience, or make DF more realistic) change the default raws, and include altered ones as part of their package. By not changing the default raws myself, and by using the default raws, I ensure that my mod can actually work smoothly with theirs. If I redid everything, a mod that makes bones the correct strength (for example) wouldn't have any effect on DFRandCreatures creatures at all.

I couldn't help it - I had to draw that... thing. Very roughly, in about fifteen minutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I got it right...
I lol'd. You make me proud. Excellent job, there. :)

So I just generated a language using

'spawn,holistic,spear,breaker,fischer,draignean,splint,vanya,talvi,cavy' as control words. It came up with some hilarious ones, such as bear_noun being 'faint', and beast translating as 'cognac'. It ended up sounding very... elven, I suppose because of the surfeit of i and y.
Well, you did include a lot of "a"s, "y"s, and "i"s, all of which are very prominent in elven, as is the "c", "v" and "v" at the front of words. If you want something very goblin-y (or orcish, to be precise), put the following in and see what it gens:

ash,nazg,durbatuluk,ash,nazg,gimbatul,ash,nazg,thrakatukuk,agh,burzum,ishi,krimpatul,ghash,sharku,orch,uruk,snaga,tark,tarkil,lugburs,nazgul,gorbag,ufthak,ugluk,baronk,sha,pushdug,saruman,glob,bubhosh,skai

(those are the words from Tolkien's "Black Speech", the only ones he came up with (unless I missed one or two).)

Language creation is so much fun! Thanks a lot!  :D
Glad you're enjoying it! I'll (hopefully) be re-releasing it, new and improved, "soon".

edit: Why did you include Vanya and Talvi but not Reudh? lol   Just out of curiosity.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:23:01 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:57 pm »

edit: Why did you include Vanya and Talvi but not Reudh? lol   Just out of curiosity.

Did all the ones that first came to mind, then saw I had 10.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:19 am »

Great work, I downloaded the creature generator and have generated 500 new creatures for my new world. Can't wait to see what they will be like in game.

With this every world that's generated can have its unique wildlife. This will really make exploring new worlds a more interesting experience.

I hope you'll continue to support this, it would be nice to have similar generators for (semi)megabeasts, and other parts of the game.

BlazesRus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:59 am »

Can you edit it to allow using a customized script file plz:)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »

Two things:

Am I correct if I assume that the entitydata file could be altered, to allow custom items for the generated entities? For example adding tags for weapons that are not in vanilla DF?

And the second:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:374]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:7477]
   [BODY_SIZE:14:0:67294,70926272]

Randomly generated creature. Seems a bit... excessive in bodywheight.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 01:02:46 pm »

Also, why's there a comma in there? Does the game even read commas in numeric strings?

This is still looking good, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 04:44:24 pm »

Great work, I downloaded the creature generator and have generated 500 new creatures for my new world. Can't wait to see what they will be like in game.

With this every world that's generated can have its unique wildlife. This will really make exploring new worlds a more interesting experience.

I hope you'll continue to support this, it would be nice to have similar generators for (semi)megabeasts, and other parts of the game.
Adding semimegabeasts doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch. I'll see if I can scrape something together for the next time I upload it.

Can you edit it to allow using a customized script file plz:)
I'm really sorry, but I don't think that's going to happen. That's a bit more work than I'm willing to put into it, as it would effectively quadruple (at least) the amount of code involved, not to mention the fact that creature randomization is already mindbogglingly complex. So many pieces have to fit together just so... We've seen a number of errors in this thread, but nothing compared to the possibilities that would open up when using user-created scripts. If I was doing this professionally, I'd say yes... but as it is, I'm a guy spending his spare time doing this as a hobby of sorts. :P

HOWEVER. I wouldn't say no to extracting the strings in the program and letting you play around with those, these being:
 - Creature name generation
 - Potential bodypart list (extracting this would require a rewrite of the body code, so I'm iffy about it)
 - Prefstring data
 - "Wet" creature adjective list
 - rock types and names (not currently implemented, but it wouldn't take more than thirty minutes)
 - coloration data (blood, skin, chitin, feathers, scales, etc.)

I'm betting that's probably not what you wanted, but that's as far as I'll go, I'm afraid. The code is laughably messy as it stands, and a lot of it is commented out, but it's basically beta/alpha so I'm not freaking out over it like I would otherwise.

Two things:

Am I correct if I assume that the entitydata file could be altered, to allow custom items for the generated entities? For example adding tags for weapons that are not in vanilla DF?

And the second:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:374]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:7477]
   [BODY_SIZE:14:0:67294,70926272]

Randomly generated creature. Seems a bit... excessive in bodywheight.
First: You are completely correct. That's part of why I put it into a script file. Just make sure you follow the bracket/colon format (e.g. left bracket but no right bracket, left colon and right bracket, etc.), or it'll create something that won't work.

Second: That shouldn't have happened... there's nothing in the file that makes that possible, though it DOES appear that I forgot to force it to round the number off, which doesn't actually affect anything as DF rounds the values off anyway. Are you sure it was a comma and not a period? It should've been "67294.7092 to the umpteenth decimal"... And 67k isn't even human size. The code for bodysize2, which is the value that controls that number, is defined by these lines:

Code: [Select]
Define bodysize2 As Decimal = round (randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,2) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5) * randomdecimal(1,5))
bodysize2 = sqrt(bodysize2) * 1.4142//square root * square root of 2
bodysize2 = bodysize2 * bodysize2/*and now we square. small creatures stay small,
big creatures get bigger. easy As math. Average body size is now 75000,
right where I wanted it to be. A larger size (x2) starts out about 75000 and
ends up being around 150000. A x2 normal increase becomes a x4 increase.
The above is all subject to change. I want to make sure I get the occasional
"gigantic" creature.*/
...which basicially means it gives it a random value between 1 and 10,000,000 (VERY heavily weighted towards the lower end of the scale), takes the square root of that and multiplies it by the square root of 2 (to the fourth decimal), and then squares it, making a min/avg/max range of (rounded) 2 (min, ridiculously rare), 74631 (avg, a little bigger than a human), and 19999200 (max, but ridiculously rare to the point you'll probably never see it).
    As dragon size (as I recall - I don't have DF on this computer) is 25,000,000, while the maximum-sized creature for DFRandCreatures can approach a dragon's stature (if you're absurdly unlucky), you're almost guaranteed to never a creature as big as a dragon.

There's nothing in the code that gives it any chance of dropping a comma, either... as demonstrated by this line (the one that adds it in):

Code: [Select]
ttl.add (" [BODY_SIZE:" + bodyage + ":0:" + bodysize2 + "]")
So I'm guessing the comma was a typo? :-\ Hoping, anyway. Otherwise, I think my program has unfixable OS-related issues. For windows it gens things like:

[BODY_SIZE:21:0:26219.4971004]

which is completely in line with what it ought to be doing. Typo, I hope? Or are all the creatures genning that way?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:28:04 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:28 pm »

No such problems for me. Searched a file for "," and every single hit was in the description tag, not the body size tags. Using windows, here.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »

So I'm guessing the comma was a typo? :-\ Hoping, anyway. Otherwise, I think my program has unfixable OS-related issues. For windows it gens things like;

[BODY_SIZE:21:0:26219.4971004]

which is completely in line with what it ought to be doing. Typo, I hope? Or are all the creatures genning that way?

The file I generated uses xxx.xxxx for the size, no commas. I have a Dutch windows version, and in Dutch we use a comma instead of a dot before decimal numbers, so I guess that if there is a OS issue, my system would have been likely to mess things up, which it didn't.

Also I'm impressed by the variety of creatures in the mod, they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and despite this it seems to be mostly free of bugs.  Most creatures are well ballanced, with some exceptions:

I was ambushed a while ago by a group of Barpokeys (a civ building race genereted by your program) in adventure mode. They had been treated very poorly by evolution. if I remember correctly the poor creatures were small, They had no limbs except for two wings, but they couldn't fly. This actually made sense, because they were  made completely out of gabbro which made them far too heavy. The rock-like creatures thus dragged themselves through the dirt with their useless wings and never had much of a chance. I'm absolutely fine with the program generating the above odd creatures, but there may be a bug here: The Barpokeys did not have any arms or other limbs for wielding weapons. They arrived with weapons but immediately dropped them when I continued the game.

I have run into a few other civilisations with similar issues, maybe the program should check if civ-building races have limbs they can use for wielding weapons, if they don't it should add a trunk/tentacle/whatever.

Other than that, great work. If I find some time I might try and draw some of the creatures I run into.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »

I have a Dutch windows version, and in Dutch we use a comma instead of a dot before decimal numbers

I do admit, I have a German windows version, and we do the same, using commas instead of dots in numbers. Maybe that is the cause. So, IF the bodysize "26219.4971004" is actually 26219 and 1 half, instead of 262194971004... then everything should be ok.

I did write you a PM about the rest of the tests. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17