Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McMagma has died of burns  (Read 2330 times)

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
Urist McMagma has died of burns
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:59:20 am »

In my extremely limited experience, it seems that throwing someone into magma is not nearly as deadly as it should be. I propose that it should be possible for creatures to die if they have burns on more than, let's say, 75% of their body.

Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMagma has died of burns
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:11:08 am »

In my extremely limited experience, it seems that throwing someone into magma is not nearly as deadly as it should be. I propose that it should be possible for creatures to die if they have burns on more than, let's say, 75% of their body.
That's an abitrary definition, and as such doesn't fit into DF health's system.

A better way would be to improve the simulation of burns (first, second ,third degrees) and allow for overheating, as wel as other things. This way you can have your dwarfs run through a fire and have light burns all over the place, while magma is suitably deadly.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:31:03 am »

A better way would be to improve the simulation of burns (first, second ,third degrees) and allow for overheating, as well as other things.
Right now burns are simulated as tiny cuts on the body.
Burns would be more realistic if they were simulated through syndromes giving pain, redness, blistering, numbness and necrosis.
The syndrome would have to be present in all organic tissue and triggered when it comes in contact with anything hotter than 80C.
And then a difference needs to be made between first, second, third and fourth degree burns.
Needles to say, complex.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:00 am »

That's an abitrary definition, and as such doesn't fit into DF health's system.

A better way would be to improve the simulation of burns (first, second ,third degrees) and allow for overheating, as wel as other things. This way you can have your dwarfs run through a fire and have light burns all over the place, while magma is suitably deadly.
That seems like a great system, but IRL that's about how much the human body can sustain
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:47:27 am »

So, 74% you're okay, 75% you're dead?
That's not DF, that's, I dunno, Final Fantasy or Minecraft or something.

Dwarf Fortress cares about not just simulating it well, but simulating it right. And for a game in alpha, it does pretty well.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:41 am »

I don't know if the game simulates magma accurately enough though, seeing as a lot of these guys who fall into the magma simultaneously drown and bleed to death. In real life, wouldn't you basically land on top of the lava and float, bursting into flames with all your skin burning to a crisp and falling off? You would die extremely quickly.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:06:12 am »

Dwarf Fortress cares about not just simulating it well, but simulating it right. And for a game in alpha, it does pretty well.
More like, 75% and you'll definitely die, it's not totally exact.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:57:49 am »

In real life, wouldn't you basically land on top of the lava and float, bursting into flames with all your skin burning to a crisp and falling off?
For that to happen, Dwarf Fortress needs to understand buoyancy. Which, i recon, are going to be implemented at the same time ports, ships and Cthulhu, i mean aquatic beasts are done.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

Is he planned? That'd be... funny.

I imagined accurate heat-related damages would be a goal that's coming soon, though likely not in this release. I hope elves are flammable.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

I don't know if the game simulates magma accurately enough though, seeing as a lot of these guys who fall into the magma simultaneously drown and bleed to death. In real life, wouldn't you basically land on top of the lava and float, bursting into flames with all your skin burning to a crisp and falling off? You would die extremely quickly.

I think it's because mechanically, the flesh and stuff don't have melting/boiling point. However I've not twiddled with raw relating to it! That and buoyancy's not implemented, yet, but the not burning to death's a bit more noticible :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

Yeah, buoyancy is yet-to-be-simulated.
One day, we'll be chucking goblins into the volcano and they'll just float over, climb out, and set stuff on fire.

But why is 75% the definite cutoff? Why should 75% coverage of 1st-degree burns be worse than 40% of 3rd? Wouldn't it be better to simulate WHY 75% burnage is lethal, rather than just say that it is?

I think it's because mechanically, the flesh and stuff don't have melting/boiling point. However I've not twiddled with raw relating to it! That and buoyancy's not implemented, yet, but the not burning to death's a bit more noticible :D
I think it's due to bugs in how damage is tracked, and that melting adipose tissue lethally exsanguinates one before one can perish of other means.
Exsanguinate is such a good word...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:50:09 pm »

But why is 75% the definite cutoff? Why should 75% coverage of 1st-degree burns be worse than 40% of 3rd? Wouldn't it be better to simulate WHY 75% burnage is lethal, rather than just say that it is?

I think that's based off human medical research, around 75% secondary and third degree burn tend to have very high death rate because of fluid losses and infection ( not definite, but almost so without immediate and long-term care, including IV fluid ). Which's actually already stimulated with fat being melted off and all that, though not very well and not accurate to skin condition :D

Though that's not speaking for non-human creatures, so there're certain degree of inaccuracy, plus people can die with small nicks due to lack of clotting factor, or due to shock even without being physically in danger.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:53:15 pm »

In my humble tries-to-be-humble opinion, it would be better for Dwarf Fortress to simulate the causes of 75% burnage causing death than to just have a certain amount of burnt body cause death.
Sig

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »

In my humble tries-to-be-humble opinion, it would be better for Dwarf Fortress to simulate the causes of 75% burnage causing death than to just have a certain amount of burnt body cause death.

Agreed, I'd rather it be stimulated through effects on body too, I'm just referencing common medical issue, which won't apply to all creatures, or even every single creature of same kind. There have been -rare- records of humans surviving very through burning, but that's with modern medical aids.

Bleeding out is already pretty good stimulation of fluid losses, what's bad is being submerged in magma isn't burning the very flesh itself.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »

Technically, it's not the burns that kill you in real life. A person in real life could easily burn off all their limbs and survive. The most common reason for dying in heat is either A. internal organs shutting down (doesn't take as long as you'd think), or B. inhaling air hot enough to cook the inside of your lungs (all it takes is one breath). The burns don't kill you. The other stuff does.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: [1] 2