Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Urist McMagma has died of burns  (Read 2323 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMagma has died of burns
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:03 pm »

The deeper issue here is that the game doesn't simulate organ death, merely organ destruction.  So your heart or your brain can't die from heat unless they flat melt.  Some entertaining syndromes aside, various bodyparts and organs will continue to function, period, unless they are physically torn apart.  The only case that's simulated is brain death through bloodloss.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

Bigger problem: Most organs don't do anything except bleed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »

I remember there being a thread on functional loss in the heart having no effect.
Sadly, the real problem is that Toady's simulations are makeshift at best. Hearts, spleens, kidneys, livers... they're all "important", but if they're missing, nothing happens, as long as there's no bleeding.

### On the topic of livers, but not thread-relevant, I'd like to see old dwarves get liver problems and be forced to drink water, or die of alcohol poisoning. Of course it'd be the latter that actually happens, but it would still be cool. ###

If the organ simulations were improved, heat-related death would be more realistic, but as far as dumping elves in magma is concerned, we need heat to affect the rate of meltings.
... But then magma forges would be able to smelt things faster, making them far more desirable...

Burning simulations would be nice, but I can only see them having an aesthetic purpose, much like scars.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:05:08 am »

They would also let magma kill zombies, stopping that bug for good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]